Thinking of selling my dream bag

I think if you will continue not use it and won’t miss it if you sell it, then sell it. If you love it even though you don’t use it and will regret it if you sell it, then keep it. You can use the money for something else.
I think it will be a little of both. Since I'll probably not be able to replace it, I will probably be sad to see it go. I don't know if I will full on regret the decision but I will miss not having the bag. I've always thought that I'd eventually carry it more as I got older and it suited my lifestyle better.

The resale value on a jumbo will not be great. Normally, I would recommend FP; however, I recently submitted quotes and their offers were okay but they chose to not buy back a purse I purchased from them a year and a half ago. I think they purchased too many bags and they haven't been moving as quickly. I resubmitted to other sites and offers from Rebag and Anns were higher.

Since you said this is your dream bag, I suggest you try to use it more. Chanel CF bag with jeans and a t-shirt is so chic. Try to use and enjoy your bag. Its hard to swallow the prices of a CF now, so I would suggest you keep the bag for now
I did go ahead and get quotes from Fashionphile, Yoogi's, WGACA, and Ann's. Will see what they say. If it's not above $5k I'll probably just hold onto the bag and maybe try to use it more, like you said. The problem is especially post-pandemic, I don't do a whole lot of socializing! LOL.

Right now the trend is for smaller bags, not for larger bags, but that will probably change in a few years (fashion is cyclical!). I believe that's why the demand for jumbo bags is low now. If you can hold on till larger bags become trendy again, you might get a better value for your bag. But that's up to you, and your finances.
I think getting some quotes from resellers right now is a good idea, that might help you make a clearer decision.
I could definitely benefit from getting the money out of it but I'm not trying to sell it out of desperation, either, if that makes sense. I went ahead and submitted for quotes from 4 sites so we will see what they say! I went on eBay to look at comps and was amazed at the price difference between lamb and caviar. I saw Caviar Jumbos from Japanese resellers for $10k and it shocked me.

Since you said this is your dream bag, I suggest you try to use it more. Chanel CF bag with jeans and a t-shirt is so chic. Try to use and enjoy your bag. Its hard to swallow the prices of a CF now, so I would suggest you keep the bag for now
I will probably be sad to see it go. I don't know if I will full on regret the decision but I will miss not having the bag. I've always thought that I'd eventually carry it more as I got older and it suited my lifestyle better.

I would keep it. Sellers remorse is very real, and big bags are coming back as we speak

10 years is a long time to hold onto a bag and have only used it 3 times. if you haven't used it more by now, you probably never will. personally, i hate seeing my money go to waste so i would sell it. you maybe be priced out of new chanel but try looking for a slightly used seasonal flap bag or something at a lower price point. you said the jumbo feels to mature and fancy so a seasonal bag might be better for you since they tend to be more casual/edgy at times.

10 years is a long time to hold onto a bag and have only used it 3 times. if you haven't used it more by now, you probably never will. personally, i hate seeing my money go to waste so i would sell it. you maybe be priced out of new chanel but try looking for a slightly used seasonal flap bag or something at a lower price point. you said the jumbo feels to mature and fancy so a seasonal bag might be better for you since they tend to be more casual/edgy at times.
Well, I think you're right -- which is why I decided to explore selling. I've actually been contemplating this for about 6 months. Honestly in the nearly 10 years since I bought the bag, my interest in designer/luxury goods has waned. I went through an LV phase a few years ago and bought a couple vintage bags (Saumur, Noe, Montsouris), and they much more suit my casual lifestyle. I have a Chanel WOC that I used a TON in my 20's because I was going out a lot but I don't feel the need to sell it. Nowadays, I have a couple of hobbies that take up a lot of my time and especially since the pandemic I just don't go out much (by this I mean, shopping, dinner with friends, etc.). Maybe if I weren't single and had more special occasions to dress up for I'd be carrying it more, but I really don't.

I think my plan is to see what the quotes come back as and then go from there. If it's less than what I was hoping to get I will either hold onto it in hopes the market for Jumbos improves, or potentially list it myself on eBay.

Reactions: ashin121
Well, I think you're right -- which is why I decided to explore selling. I've actually been contemplating this for about 6 months. Honestly in the nearly 10 years since I bought the bag, my interest in designer/luxury goods has waned. I went through an LV phase a few years ago and bought a couple vintage bags (Saumur, Noe, Montsouris), and they much more suit my casual lifestyle. I have a Chanel WOC that I used a TON in my 20's because I was going out a lot but I don't feel the need to sell it. Nowadays, I have a couple of hobbies that take up a lot of my time and especially since the pandemic I just don't go out much (by this I mean, shopping, dinner with friends, etc.). Maybe if I weren't single and had more special occasions to dress up for I'd be carrying it more, but I really don't.

I think my plan is to see what the quotes come back as and then go from there. If it's less than what I was hoping to get I will either hold onto it in hopes the market for Jumbos improves, or potentially list it myself on eBay.
Just be aware of the new law on selling goods. I use to sell my bags on eBay mostly, you will get a 1099-K form so any profit you will be taxed on.

I just thought about you when I've seen this video of Sophie Shohet where she talks about Chanel 2.55 medium, large, mini and jumbo bags current and resale prices. Considering you never use your jumbo, perhaps you can sell it and buy a mini, but you have to decide rather soon as there are rumors on another Chanel price increase starting from June or July.

Reactions: sparksflyy
Just a thought; I have seen Rebag advertise that they have a trade-in program. So perhaps you could trade your jumbo for a medium. But sadly, you would have to put money down in addition to the Jumbo for trade. But at least you would get a classic flap you would get more use out of, and not pay too much out of pocket.

But I will also add that I think bigger bags are becoming more popular again, so you may want to use it more in the future, and the value will keep going UP.

generally speaking right now maybe the worst time to sell a lamb skin leather Chanel jumbo, probably don’t get much money for it’s worth and would lose its ability of rising value against inflation. I actually don’t sell any of my good or classic bags right now.

generally speaking right now maybe the worst time to sell a lamb skin leather Chanel jumbo, probably don’t get much money for it’s worth and would lose its ability of rising value against inflation. I actually don’t sell any of my good or classic bags right now.
That's what I'm gathering from folks' responses. I have been out of the loop on the trends and didn't realize the Jumbo had lost its desirability so much.

Reactions: onlyk
I just thought about you when I've seen this video of Sophie Shohet where she talks about Chanel 2.55 medium, large, mini and jumbo bags current and resale prices. Considering you never use your jumbo, perhaps you can sell it and buy a mini, but you have to decide rather soon as there are rumors on another Chanel price increase starting from June or July.
This video was really interesting! Thanks for sharing. To be honest I don't really want to get a different bag to replace it; I was more just thinking I'd sell it and move on. I think if I did look for a replacement I might go vintage.

That's what I'm gathering from folks' responses. I have been out of the loop on the trends and didn't realize the Jumbo had lost its desirability so much.
Yup. In 2012, which is when I got my black caviar jumbo and m/l lambskin cf...jumbo was the most desired right???? Lambskin was also more desired.
It's now all about the mini and smaller bags. Also it's more about caviar.

On the resell market, jumbo goes for less than retail and so does lambskin. The combo might mean getting a less than desired price for it. Submit and see what quotes you get. I believe the jumbo was $4900 plus tax in 2012. As long as it has the authenticity card, you might be able to get what you paid but not much more. Still nice knowing you've had it for 10 years and you didn't lose money.

Also maybe wait a couple months to see if there's a price increase. It does usually happen around june/July ish.