Home & Garden Thinking about full glass panel entry door....

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
Is this a bad idea? I really want a obscured glass entry front door to let more light into the front of the house. It's really dark. There will be a sidelight panel as well, and a full panel clear glass storm door with a deadbolt. The entry door would ideally be fiberglass with a full length panel of obscure glass inserted into the fiberglass frame, similar to this:

image.jpg

So, 2 doors: the storm door with deadbolt and the entry door with deadbolt. And dogs. Who bark. This is a starter home neighborhood and I haven't heard about criminal activity in the many years I've been here. I just don't see this neighborhood as a target. I don't have packages delivered here.

People won't be able to see anything inside. The glass will be obscured (frosted) and there is basically a wall in front of the door entry area.

The front door is in the shade most of the day.

What do you think?

Personally I love it! This is the foyer of our farm house, built in 1926 and architecturally intact, thank goodness. I love the glass front door and side panels and would never change it. We have a wrap-around front porch and two large pecan trees in the front yard so I don't worry much about privacy, plus we are far enough from the road that a person just driving by wouldn't be able to see in.

Attachments

• image-538054082.jpg
    image-538054082.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 5,872
Personally I love it! This is the foyer of our farm house, built in 1926 and architecturally intact, thank goodness. I love the glass front door and side panels and would never change it. We have a wrap-around front porch and two large pecan trees in the front yard so I don't worry much about privacy, plus we are far enough from the road that a person just driving by wouldn't be able to see in.

Wow. That's so happy and bright, thanks for posting the pic!

Our new neighbors just changed their front doors from regular old ugly doors to two beautiful glass doors. They are not frosted glass but some type of glass that seems heavy and you can't really see 100 percent through, they also have some type of metal design in the door-so I guess it might be a clear stained glass thing? Since I can only see it from the street I don't know how the metal is attached with the glass. The neighbor did tell me she had to buy the door trim that is extra and goes around the top and two sides of the outside door frame to give this decorative look. The glass door guy did not say anything about it but the installer said she needed it. Her doors are beautiful and I think she changed them to glass to bring tons of light into her house.

this is my front door, pic taken when the house was still being built, You cannot see through the glass but it lets in light and is quite beautiful now thats its all painted and finished.

Attachments

• DSC_4507-EDT.jpg
    DSC_4507-EDT.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 3,840
My "divorcee" house was also an old house with a glass front door, but it was in the city. I hung a curtain in the door at first but didn't like that look so I got some frosted contact paper to cover the glass with. It let in light but made the door opaque. I think for city/neighborhood living, opacity is a must.

i have thought about a glass entry door, but frankly sometimes i just like to pretend that i'm not home :smile: if i'm walking around in my bathrobe and don't feel like answering the door.

Thanks for all the replies!

i have thought about a glass entry door, but frankly sometimes i just like to pretend that i'm not home :smile: if i'm walking around in my bathrobe and don't feel like answering the door.

I always pretend I'm not home. Unless I am expecting someone, I don't answer the door. If someone needs to reach me, they can leave a note or contact me in another way.

My entry door faces a half wall, and when I remodel the stairs, that half wall will have a rail above it that will cover half the view. I plan to use 1.2" spindles that are 1.2" apart, like a mission style, painted white. So it will be hard for anyone to see inside, since the door and sidelight will have obscured glass, and since the entry is on a different level than the living areas.

Currently the sidelights are clear. The dogs love it! I will be glad when they are replaced with obscured glass. (The dogs won't....)

Do it...:smile:

I had double CLEAR glass doors for the entry growing up.

Totally miss that house...everyone would always comment on them.

I love glass doors. Every door in our home is glass! garage, front, French patio doors and both doors to the deck. I like the light. I feel like if someone wants to break in, a glass door will have bearing. That being said, The front is obscured and the deck door off the patio has internal blinds. I do need a little privacy ;)

Ha ha! I haven't picked one out yet. I do know that I want frosted glass. I put film on my current sidelights and I like the privacy but not the clear edges they advise you to allow. I don't want a fancy etched glass pattern.

I'll probably wait a while. There are other priorities for the house.

Thank you for all the responses!