The Virgin Suicides

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
I know it's kind of old now ! But I love it ! I don't really know why I am so attracted to that movie.....well I like the atmosphere, dreamy, sad, nostalgic, it has that typical 70's blurry effect, the music is fascinating, the actors are really good : Kirsten Dunst and Josh Harnett together :heart: .....the 70's romantic fashion, these blond sisters like angels.....depressing but fab'
Am I the only one here ?????

I read the book before I saw the movie. (The guy at the video store said he put the video out a couple days ago, and I was the first person to rent it!)

I remember I was in college and I was on the phone with my dad. There was a lull in the conversation and he says, "Um, Caitlin . . . Mom found this book. The Virgin Suicides? We're very concerned."

First off, I was mad that she was even in my room. Secondly I told them I appreciated the concern, but the book is a novel and I bought it when I was working at Barnes & Noble. I basically had to say, "It's not a how-to manual, Daddy, I'm fine."

that's one of my favorite sofia coppola movies. i watched it a few times and i'll probably watch it again. it really is depressing but it's such a great movie.

I remember I was in college and I was on the phone with my dad. There was a lull in the conversation and he says, "Um, Caitlin . . . Mom found this book. The Virgin Suicides? We're very concerned."

First off, I was mad that she was even in my room. Secondly I told them I appreciated the concern, but the book is a novel and I bought it when I was working at Barnes & Noble. I basically had to say, "It's not a how-to manual, Daddy, I'm fine."
Hahah. You can let your parents know that the author won a Pulitzer Prize for his second novel, Middlesex. But don't tell them it's about a hermaphrodite with gender issues, or they might kidnap you and send you in for reprogramming! ;)

hmmm... i love the opening title, the basic idea of the film.
but somehow i hated the direction... it's exageratting for me.
i'm not a fans of sofia coppola's films anyway.
i prefer roman coppola's CQ

I love Sofia Coppola's films - I'm doing my honours thesis on them and auteur theory!!

Love this film though, I like how dreamy her films are, they are more based on emotion than story.

I love this movie, in a weird way ~ it was out there!!!

The Virgin Suicides was written by Jeffrey Eugenides who is also from Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Also same town used in Grosse Pointe Blank.

I read the book & saw the movie. I love them both. The movie has a fantastic soundtrack.

LOL, I made my friends go see it with me. They didn't like it & voted that it was the last time I was allowed to pick the movie we were seeing. Some people!

This sounds REALLY horrible, but I remember thinking after reading the book and watching the movie that if my parents made rules like that, I'd kill myself, too! But oddly enough, I think that was the point of the movie: Is living life in such a controlling, oppressive atmosphere REALLY living?

The scene where the mother made Lux burn her records was SO sad!

Narrator: We knew the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love, and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.

Narrator: No one could understand how Mrs. Lisbon and Mr. Lisbon, our math teacher, could produce such beautiful creatures.

Lux Lisbon: I can't breathe in here.
Mrs Lisbon: Lu, you are safe, in here.

Narrator: Collecting everything we could of theirs, the Lisbon girls wouldn't leave our minds but they were slipping away. The color of their eyes was fading along with the exact locations... of moles and dimples. From five, they had become four, and they were all the living and the dead, becoming shadows. We would have lost them completely if the girls hadn't contacted us.