The Re-vamping of Coach

jules08

O.G.
Aug 16, 2007
I could be wrong and I don't know the response yet, but the promo's with all the It Girls and models I think will backfire. I personally think they will not capture the younger customers the way they think they will. Looking at the merchandise on the site, aside from say the neon items, most merch looks like it's all been done, say gor a few random "fringey" pieces. Not crazy about Stuart Vever's vision, he seems to just be doing same ol same ol knock offs of Balenciaga snd Prada. Anyone else think he won't be at Coach long? Does any of you absolutely love him on the contrary? I'd be interested to know.

I don't necessarily dislike the SV pieces, but I am not wowed by them either. For me personally I find many of them to lack the functionality of the older bags....some of them have lost pockets that were present in other bags, or the appropriate sized straps, etc. I think you can do fashion and functionality as Coach has made nice bags for years by doing that, but SV seems more focused on a certain vision of how they should look versus how people might use the bag. That is my personal opinion. And I would certainly agree with you that they don't look like anything new or special that would capture a lot of new customers.

I also would like to add that SV's attempt to make the brand edgy, using models like Karly Kloss who accidently on purpose showed nipple on the runway, just doesnt fit, IMO. I have nothing against provacative attitudes in fashion, but I miss the conservative image Coach had. I have no problem if Karly is selling Marc Jacobs or Miu Miu for example, they always use nudity and such.

I think their new items are very depressing. They all look the same to me. Same type of style and shape. I used to look forward to the new items they came out with each season and making a list of what I "had to have." Now, I am buying a lot of their older items on various websites since there is nothing for me at all in their new lineup. They are trying too hard with those models and their new ad campaigns. They need to bring back their nice feminine, classic styles.

Karly and the It Girls was repping the brand before SV. I'm not wowed by any of the SV collections so far, but he's getting the blame for decisions made by previous management, not just his own collections.

I buy handbags based on a combination of bag functionality, leather texture and color options, in that order. Nothing from the SV lines have met my three preferences.

My biggest complaint lately is what have designers got against mid-size bags? Everything is either Kitchen Sink or Cell Phone.

I don't have a problem with Vevers designs. Nothing has hit a home run for me yet but I like a lot of them. I don't even mind what looks like copies of other designers; I like the Gramercy better than Fendi. What concerns me most is the quality of the materials. I don't see anything made of the thick soft glove tanned leather of the past. I'd like to see something with the quality of the 2006 Anniversary collection.

Karly and the It Girls was repping the brand before SV. I'm not wowed by any of the SV collections so far, but he's getting the blame for decisions made by previous management, not just his own collections.

I buy handbags based on a combination of bag functionality, leather texture and color options, in that order. Nothing from the SV lines have met my three preferences.

My biggest complaint lately is what have designers got against mid-size bags? Everything is either Kitchen Sink or Cell Phone.

" I buy handbags based on a combination of bag functionality, leather texture and color options"

I agree, I have to have functionality first, then the bag has to be available in a good leather in a color that I thinks looks good on that bag.

"My biggest complaint lately is what have designers got against mid-size bags? "

AMEN!!! You are preaching to the choir here! Soooo many of us have voiced that very same complaint!

I could be wrong and I don't know the response yet, but the promo's with all the It Girls and models I think will backfire. I personally think they will not capture the younger customers the way they think they will. Looking at the merchandise on the site, aside from say the neon items, most merch looks like it's all been done, say gor a few random "fringey" pieces. Not crazy about Stuart Vever's vision, he seems to just be doing same ol same ol knock offs of Balenciaga snd Prada. Anyone else think he won't be at Coach long? Does any of you absolutely love him on the contrary? I'd be interested to know.
it's too bright. plus it's too expensive. Younger customers don't have the dough to slap around contrary to what coach thinks.

I love the Gramercy, I don't mind that it looks like the Fendi Peek-a-boo. ( Most people where I live probably think Fendi is a car manufacturer anyway, and would have no clue the Gramercy looks similar.) I like the Swagger too, but haven't seen it in person yet to be able to check it out. I'm afraid if I see it, I'll love it. My wallet would hate me. None of the other bags, except maybe the Ellis tote, appeals to me. I like the look of the Ellis because it looks like the Madison totes...which I love, but don't need anymore totes, so I won't buy it.
I do like that there is something that appeals to most women. I'm not a fan of Rhyder, Dakotah, or the Baseman line, but many here are. I just can't pull off fringe or feathers-or monsters. Tassels though?? Awwww yeahhh...
I don't care one way or the other about the models they use, I look at the bags, not the models. ( though the look they had for the fall line was AWFUL, and took away from the bags. )I'm 43 and have 4 kids, so I'm about as far from their target audience as I can get. I'm taking this time to find the older styles that are more "me"...I'm having some pretty great luck with it too!!

Last edited:
Looking back (it has been about a year since the original Boroughs came out) I truly can say now that there was not anything made that was up to par to them, and I have been looking...so right now I am on a big Borough kick, got a high rise and a mini in black pebbled leather and love everything about them:smile: I really think Coach is going in the wrong direction with all these changes they are making, the only one that I like is the collaborations with artists, but in my opinion they have messing up on those as well (the Snoopy line was almost impossible to get, and Baseman Line is way overpriced and it's success remains to be seen) I, for one, will wait this one out...I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a few keychains!

Last edited:
I think their new items are very depressing. They all look the same to me. Same type of style and shape. I used to look forward to the new items they came out with each season and making a list of what I "had to have." Now, I am buying a lot of their older items on various websites since there is nothing for me at all in their new lineup. They are trying too hard with those models and their new ad campaigns. They need to bring back their nice feminine, classic styles.

Agree!
I used to go to their flagship store and just about drool over the many lovely bags on display, it was incredible. So many styles, in all price ranges and colors.
At that time (5 years ago) the store was filled with shelves of bags and SLGs, not half empty shelves as they are now.
Quite a contrast to the limited styles of bags out now with so many of them looking alike.

I don't necessarily dislike the SV pieces, but I am not wowed by them either. For me personally I find many of them to lack the functionality of the older bags....some of them have lost pockets that were present in other bags, or the appropriate sized straps, etc. I think you can do fashion and functionality as Coach has made nice bags for years by doing that, but SV seems more focused on a certain vision of how they should look versus how people might use the bag. That is my personal opinion. And I would certainly agree with you that they don't look like anything new or special that would capture a lot of new customers.

I'm not wowed by the SV designs, mostly because they are geared towards younger people. I'm not a cross body bag person and bags like the Dakota have that long strap. They seem to be keeping some non SV bags though, so I hope they will continue and expand on those for the rest of us.

I agree, the bags are loosing functionality. What is so hard to understand about ladies needing outside pockets? Every bag should have at least one outside pocket on the back for our phone or keys.
Or how about a strap that doesn't slide off the shoulder? Seems like they could figure that out.

The only thing that got my attention recently is the Wink crossbody - way overpriced at 350. but for a small bag holds alot and you know you will pay more for the metal embellishments. I cant believe how much they want for the fringe Dakotah! No way! I bought the flap Dakotah w/o fringe, dont love it. Color says Saddle. Wrong more like a burnt orange or British Tan.

I agree with you who say the bag sizes are not moderate- either its the mini bag or big and cumbersome. I am petite so even tho the crossbody is convenient, the bigger cross bags are too uncomfortable and hard to walk with for me. I prefer the shoulder straps, but there arent any. Its either cb or handles.

I miss the beloved Poppy line. Ironically, wasnt that supposed to be for a younger demo? But alot of it was suitable for any age. And it did sell. The last WONDERFUL collection was the anniversay Legacy, Bleecker, Hamptons, etc. Those had the gorgeous soft glive leather we all love and miss.

I know the competition with Kors is a factor for these changes, tho Kors does nothing for me. In fact, I feel there styles are a little mature but guess what?! The younger demo are buying them. I dont see any neon or fringe, etc, but they are selling.

Also I notice in this new regime, less accessesries that match the bags. I used to buy a Madison Sophia in either colored leather or Coach print and they always had a matching wristlet. Not many bags do now. I hate this.

Well, Gap just fired their designer, and while she was there I found nothing at all to buy even with my rewards. Hopefully Coach and Gap will find designers who know what they're doing and dont turn off customers like these.

I like the Swagger. But I realized I was a little old for it. I loved the Borough and Urbane bags. Even though the Borough had way too many pockets for me.

This collection I found fun. But not quite me. There is potential. But the bulk of the last 2 seasons have been all wrong. And these colors aren't me either, so I am not looking at the small leather goods.

I think the bag choices are good, if Coach's aim is to attract younger women. But for a mid-30s professional with an edgy preppy style, these bags aren't working for me anymore.