William and Catherine, Prince and Princess of Wales

It’s an amazing portrait. The way her dress shines it’s like a photograph. Must be very hard to do with paint.

W looks good, like himself, but I’m not a big fan of C’s likeness. Something is off….I think her nose is too big? Her face looks masculine. Wish he would have made her more feminine and/or with a softer expression. I like the pose though.

I’m not a big fan of C’s likeness. Something is off….

I think it’s because she’s depicted with an uncharacteristic somber or serious expression. We are so used to seeing her flash that big beautiful smile all the time.

edited to add: The artist also didn’t do justice to her thick bouncy hair. :no: It looks unusually flat in the portrait.

Last edited:
I think Kate has a stoic appearance in the portrait. Yes, her hair looks flat here, but these portraits are for decades into the future. Maybe they didn't want the big bouncy "Texas hair" (which I think is gorgeous on her) since it could look "off" later on. I do like how her waist is realistic wasp-thin in the painting. I'm surprised she's wearing Manolo Hangisi's even though they're very beautiful. The Hangisi's have been around for a long time and for her to be wearing them in the portrait will probably cement that style as a classic for many more years.

I hear something shattering, plates being thrown 2100 miles away, perhaps?

I think Kate has a stoic appearance in the portrait. Yes, her hair looks flat here, but these portraits are for decades into the future. Maybe they didn't want the big bouncy "Texas hair" (which I think is gorgeous on her) since it could look "off" later on. I do like how her waist is realistic wasp-thin in the painting. I'm surprised she's wearing Manolo Hangisi's even though they're very beautiful. The Hangisi's have been around for a long time and for her to be wearing them in the portrait will probably cement that style as a classic for many more years.

I hear something shattering, plates being thrown 2100 miles away, perhaps?
yes to all of that
I'm not crazy about the ruffles

I like the way she was posed, without showing her left hand and her engagement ring. I can't fathom out my reasoning for this, maybe it is because it is a painting of our future /past King and Queen Consort and will be seen for however many decades, the ring isn't drawing you in, its them. I don't know!
Though it is lovely that she is wearing Diana's earrings and bracelet. Who's going to know that in 100 years time?

I like the way she was posed, without showing her left hand and her engagement ring. I can't fathom out my reasoning for this, maybe it is because it is a painting of our future /past King and Queen Consort and will be seen for however many decades, the ring isn't drawing you in, its them. I don't know!
Though it is lovely that she is wearing Diana's earrings and bracelet. Who's going to know that in 100 years time?
we're all talking about her because she is the beauty but William looks pretty good here...a bit more "hard" (in a good way) than his face sometimes looks. He maybe be one who looks better with age going forward.
At the time of Diana's death, I think he was beautiful. Then as he grew up and eventually starting losing hair, not so much.