The Mirror Which Tells You **What Clothes Not To Wear**

Jan 23, 2006
Mirror0606_228x326.jpg

Finding the perfect skirt is always a triumph. But trawling the High Street for the top to match is generally a drawn-out affair.
Or at least it was. Designers have come up with a mirror which scans the items you try on - and then suggests matching garments in the shop.
The company behind the device says it's a better guide than your average shopping companion.
It knows what will suit you - and never gets bored.
The full-length mirror, which will appear in changing rooms next month, works by reading a barcode on tags attached to the clothes you try on.
It then displays suggestions of matching accessories on a built-in LCD screen.

The device also asks whether you need a smaller or bigger size.
By pressing a button at the side, shoppers can send a message to a device carried by shop assistants, who bring you different garment.
While you wait for the clothing to be delivered, 15-second advertisements appear on the five-inch screen.
Vicki Stanfield, 24, a web developer from Bolton, was one of the first to try the technology.

She said: "I go shopping with my boyfriend and it's a bit of a nightmare because he doesn't know what I look good in.
"But this mirror knows my size and even suggests stuff.
"I can take as long as I like with this mirror whereas my boyfriend gets in a huff after an hour."
Japanese firm Fujitsu is helping makers The Big Space to market the mirror. Bill Waterson, head of retail at Fujitsu, said: "It knows what the shop has on offer and is the nearest thing you will get to having your own personal shopper.

"It will always have the time for you and never gets impatient. You don't have to distract yourself by finding stuff because the mirror does a lot of that for you.
"The mirror provides more wisdom than your average Saturday girl, but it's also like a friend in the way it recommends clothes."
The device was on display at Retail Solutions show at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham, yesterday. Those stores which are to install the mirrors have yet to be disclosed.

David Wilkes: Via The Dailymail