The Latest Scam

Jun 14, 2007
Hey Ladies,Just thought I would give you a heads up on the latest scam. I thought I had seen it all . . .and then .. . . I sold a purse to a lady, she paid me immediately, and I printed out a shipping label from paypal. Well, a couple days later she left me positive feedback indicating she loved the item. I thought that was strange because I knew she hadn't received it yet! I hadn't shipped the item because it was the memorial weekend holiday so I was going to wait until tuesday to drop it off in the mail. When I logged into my paypal account that day, I noticed she had file an "unauthorized activity" on the transaction. I contacted paypal and they told me she did this, so they reversed the money from my account. It took them about 2 weeks to investigate, until they credited her the money. Luckily I did not drop her package in the mail, otherwise I would be out the $ and the product. I'm thinking she thought I would leave automatic feedback, if she left me + feedback, and since a tracking # was emailed to her, she figured I had mailed it. Maybe you guys know about this scam, but if not I thought I would let you know.

Jun 14, 2007
To follow up to some questions asked- I'm not going to disclose the buyer because I don't want her to retaliate (as it sounds like some buyers do from reading this site). But, yes she is an active Ebayer who a score of 200+ but not 100% percent. She did have a confirmed address. After this was all said and done I opened an unpaid item dispute with Ebay- and surprise, surprise she has not responded. As sellers and buyers you can never be too careful. Take precautions and use your best judgement. If see something fishy, I notify Ebay as well as any bidders and just politely ask or advise them of your suspisions. It has actually saved some buyers before who are new to Ebay. If I am shipping an expensive item, I will often require insurance, as well as having a confirmed address. It can be a headache sometimes. Someone bought a Chloe bag from me, and as much as I did not want to refund her money so that she could re-pay me with a confirmed address, its definently worth it in the long run.

I do have a question though- something I have always wondered- can a non-paying buyer leave you negative feedback?