The JADE thread!

Yeah I agree, but the defects shouldn't normally be the problem if you message the seller asking about it, and have them take pictures of it in various angles and lights, or the seller has it written in the listing description. Now in my opinion the orange peeling effect isn't a defect, since it's inevitable with many minerals making up jade with the softer minerals being abraded more so than others upon carving and polishing causing that effect, you can see + feel it in higher end jade pieces as well.
Great info to know. Thanks for sharing. Never thought of this in this way before.

Reactions: AJadecent Angle
Yes, ILOVE I did get it from my Alice. I get practically everything I have from her because I got burned once and want to see everything I buy now before I buy it. Plus she gives me a cert from either Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab or GIA so I am confident that it is a real Grade A item. In real life I have to say it changes color according to lighting. Sometimes more red and sometimes a little brown. I just now asked my hubby what color he thought it was and he said red. The picture above was taken in bright sun light. So that is why it might look so red but sometimes in some lighting it does have some brown. I think what it is is that the stone is a mixture of red, brown and yellow but the dominant color is red. I think it is almost impossible to have a stone that is strictly only one color because of how jade is made in the earth. Then in some fluorescent lighting it looks a bit orange. So I was wondering what color you guys thought it looked like. This is the perfect example of how jade color can change SO MUCH. LOL P.S. I will ask Alice if she has one tomorrow and let you know.
I see it as a deep red under this lighting! I have seen a bangle that’s said to be red but when I saw it in IRL, it was more a reddish brown. It didn’t look like a rich red like yours. Jade is a chameleon indeed!

Icyjade, would you have had to pay for the bangle that was shoved onto your arm if you couldn't take it off? I mean, did the sales guy even ask you what your size was?

If the bangle can go on, it can come off. At worst maybe need to plunge my hands into cold water but I don’t think will be a problem to take off if soap is used.

You made me smile and made my day! Love how you tell your story.

Ya it was a memorable experience...

Can't figure out if my bangle is considered red or orange. Would you call it a red or orange or maybe even brown? I have seen some jades that had a honey color or sometimes even yellowish brown called red. And some reds I think were called orange. Also some bluish colors are considered lavender. Sometimes I think because there is no standard we are left to call our pieces whatever we want.

View attachment 5008247

Definitely considered red jadeite? I think red jadeite comes in a variety of colors.

Yes, ILOVE I did get it from my Alice. I get practically everything I have from her because I got burned once and want to see everything I buy now before I buy it. Plus she gives me a cert from either Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab or GIA so I am confident that it is a real Grade A item. In real life I have to say it changes color according to lighting. Sometimes more red and sometimes a little brown. I just now asked my hubby what color he thought it was and he said red. The picture above was taken in bright sun light. So that is why it might look so red but sometimes in some lighting it does have some brown. I think what it is is that the stone is a mixture of red, brown and yellow but the dominant color is red. I think it is almost impossible to have a stone that is strictly only one color because of how jade is made in the earth. Then in some fluorescent lighting it looks a bit orange. So I was wondering what color you guys thought it looked like. This is the perfect example of how jade color can change SO MUCH. LOL P.S. I will ask Alice if she has one tomorrow and let you know.

@Silver Mom , yes, please ask Alice. @VintageyGirl and I would love to know. I would say your bangle is red jade - oh so gorgeous. I believe my ring and other brownish yellowish orangish jades can be refer to as honey jade.

It is so nice to have a seller you trust so that it takes all the anxiety out of buying (e.g. no worries about if you're buying Grade A jade or not because you alreadyknow you are). You're able to just focus on the fun part of choosing a jade item that draws you.

Reactions: VintageyGirl
I think red jadeites has so many hues which gradates in tones . Red , yellows , browns and oranges . All belong to the same family I was told , while having a chat with the gemologist once .

To have a completely, uniformly evenly red / yellow or oranges, untreated pieces of jadeite is fairly expensive.

Because red/yellows / oranges / browns tends to occur near upper crust / portions of jade border .

As such. Due to these properties of red jade . Some jade vendors have used modern technology to intensify the color of red jade through heat treatment to intensify the color.

Although heat treatment doesn’t cause the internal structure of jadeite to change ( they are still technically Grade A )

However the heat will cause the jade to become intensified in its shade , and become brittle and dry .

It is not easy to distinguish however , if heat is due to nature as in if red jadeite is mined near volcanic lava existing areas , natural heat from the ground does have its bearing in creating natural specimens that intensify its iron elements ( creating its redder shades )

This is nature .

However , artificial means , of heating up Red jadeite boulders likely dumping the jade boulder in furnace ( can also )create this effect ( red intensification ) .

But , a trip to the gemologist will help . Although there are no current methods to give an outright answer what kind of heat treatment or if any is subjected to . It’s very doubtful a gemologist will just give a Grade A to red jade without first including some remarks about its brittle or dry state (if observed ) . If it is heat treated , it’s likely not to have the moist, shiny appearance but that with pits and surface cracks , dryness observed .

Last edited:
Not many glassy or icy varieties. Saw a lot of lower quality varieties/commercial grade and not cheap too. Plus I asked to see some stuff and it looked so different from the online pics I felt a bit conned (since I specially went down just to check out the pieces). Lighting in the store really enhances green so need to be careful. I worn my ring and it looked way way better in the store.

Think the ones I mentioned are not online, need to go in person.

That sounds awful. I think I would have screamed if a salesperson grabbed my hand like that with the ongoing pandemic. And by right, he should have just asked to see your hand to see if it's soft or not - don't have to press.

I have asked them on WhatsApp before about icy bangles. No wonder no options were forthcoming! But recently I did buy a bluish green and yellow bangle from them with some snowflakes which I saw on their website.

When I was there in 2019, the salesperson was ok. Held my hand to relax me before putting on the bangle. He said I have soft hands just by looking at them. I was interested in 2 bangles then but one was nearly twice the price of the other so I went for the cheaper option and also bought a mystic knot from them.

Do you have many jade shops in Msia where you can look at the jade in person? Nowadays there are many independent sellers in Singapore that operate online on Instagram etc but you can view in person before commuting. Yes I always always try to look at anyone’s jade bangle even those on older ladies :biggrin:

I have been to only 1 but I don't think I will go again. Quite pricey for the quality. I mean I love my oval lavender bangle but I think that the salesperson has a "disabling technique" which means to put the bangle on your wrist before you've had the chance to feel it with both hands and your fingernails. There are quite a few surface stonelines which I didn't notice as a result and it doesn't feel as smooth as all my other bangles. Also, the seller was so enthusiastic (and so was I because it was my first time in a jade shop) that I tried on way too many bangles that day and had a bruised left hand for 8 weeks. My hubby put some traditional Chinese medicine on my hand which made the external bruising go away but my hand still hurt.

• Wow
Reactions: szuszuszu
Can't figure out if my bangle is considered red or orange. Would you call it a red or orange or maybe even brown? I have seen some jades that had a honey color or sometimes even yellowish brown called red. And some reds I think were called orange. Also some bluish colors are considered lavender. Sometimes I think because there is no standard we are left to call our pieces whatever we want.

View attachment 5008247

It looks like a red :biggrin:

Great summary!

The kind of watery red that I like is quite unaffordable so I’ve decided that other colored stones in my collection can fill the red/orange gap.

I thought this pendant is quite a stunning example of red jadeite

This is very pretty !

yes full translucent icy reds are very very $$$ . But as with all jade , I think if it’s something I would buy to wear or keep or even sell . I would bring it to NGi ( nan Yang Gemological institute )for a look over to ensure it’s not treated .

I m just paranoid that way . Because learnt quite abit along the way about the stuff that can be done to jade.

Reactions: VintageyGirl

View attachment 5008247

looks like brilliant red on my iPhone . Rare and very vivid

@Silver Mom
Used the Mason Kay chart and your bangle is solidly in the red jadeite quadrant!

View attachment 5008550
Oh wow, thank you for the info. Didn't think about looking at Mason Kay chart. In this morning's light, I would say it is number 27 but in other bright sun light it looks similar to 26. This is a great chart to refer to. Thank you so much.

I think red jadeites has so many hues which gradates in tones . Red , yellows , browns and oranges . All belong to the same family I was told , while having a chat with the gemologist once .

To have a completely, uniformly evenly red / yellow or oranges, untreated pieces of jadeite is fairly expensive.

Because red/yellows / oranges / browns tends to occur near upper crust / portions of jade border .

As such. Due to these properties of red jade . Some jade vendors have used modern technology to intensify the color of red jade through heat treatment to intensify the color.

Although heat treatment doesn’t cause the internal structure of jadeite to change ( they are still technically Grade A )

However the heat will cause the jade to become intensified in its shade , and become brittle and dry .

It is not easy to distinguish however , if heat is due to nature as in if red jadeite is mined near volcanic lava existing areas , natural heat from the ground does have its bearing in creating natural specimens that intensify its iron elements ( creating its redder shades )

This is nature .

However , artificial means , of heating up Red jadeite boulders likely dumping the bouldercan create this effect .

But , a trip to the gemologist will help . Although there are no current methods to give an outright answer what kind of heat treatment or if any is subjected to . It’s very doubtful a gemologist will give a Grade A to red jade without first including some remarks about its brittle or dry state . If it is heat treated , it’s likely not to have the moist, shiny appearance but that with pits and surface cracks.
Thank you Bernie. I shall now call you the jade dictionary. Appreciate this info.

• Haha
Reactions: berniechocolate