The JADE thread!

Just for sharing. The closest I have come to stacking jade bangles :P A viewing and trying on session at UJ! F89A1DF6-6F63-43EB-9C92-7238A1A4CE5D.jpegNo, I didn’t buy all, only the bottom one haha. Always great to see the pieces in person before buying. @ILoveOrange the all honey one from UJ may look more orange in photos but it looks more brown IRL. Less like your orange ring IMO. That’s the 2nd one from the top.

Just for sharing. The closest I have come to stacking jade bangles :P A viewing and trying on session at UJ! View attachment 5008194No, I didn’t buy all, only the bottom one haha. Always great to see the pieces in person before buying. @ILoveOrange the all honey one from UJ may look more orange in photos but it looks more brown IRL. Less like your orange ring IMO. That’s the 2nd one from the top.

Oh my! VintageyGril, you actually had a chance to see and try in real life? I am so envious! They look so orange on the website. Thank you for checking them out for me. I would had been so disappointed expecting them to be orange but are brown IRL. You are the best!

Reactions: VintageyGirl
Ok, not trying to smash their signboard ladies. Just that it was a terrible experience. Hopefully is isolated. Probably I was unlucky?

I think it started when the sales person grabbed my hand and started pressing - I think to feel how “soft” or flexible I am or whatever but just ask properly first right? Then after I pulled my hand back, he again took it and shoved the bangle up shortly after. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a feeling of being violated while trying on a bangle before. And umm no delusions k, am not a babe or anything so I don’t think he was trying to do anything funny.

Anyway most of their stuff looked quite commercial quality to me... mostly “bean” (豆)variety? Not so much the top quality jadeite that I really enjoy looking at
Link to Chinese article re variety with pics

He grabbed while asking so more like before I could process and react to what he said the bangle was already being shoved up. And for smaller sizes I really need to relax right? So I was immediately so tensed up and clearly it would be painful.

But yes re store lightings and mirrors. Always feel 10kg slimmer in the stores hahahahaha. Then sadness when back at home.

Tried a bluish bangle that’s supposedly good translucency but in the store it was just meh looking. Maybe need to go under the sun to look good but I was so turned off by that time I had no mood to continue.

Yeah, still obsessed with 蓝水翡翠 thanks to @berniechocolate beautiful bangle that I super love

I do like their designs? Sort of more modern and wearable so that I don’t feel like I should be in some costume drama when I’m wearing jadeite. But anyway will be a long time before I go there again

YES!! Otherwise just bad vibes associated with the item right? Ughh

—————————

Thank you ladies for hearing me vent. Feel so much better :heart::flowers:
You made me smile and made my day! Love how you tell your story.

Oh my! VintageyGril, you actually had a chance to see and try in real life? I am so envious! They look so orange on the website. Thank you for checking them out for me. I would had been so disappointed expecting them to be orange but are brown IRL. You are the best!
I agree with Vintage in that they don't look orange but more like Turmeric, and I too am abit jealous of their meet up. :lol:

That's the problem with ordering online, you never know what to expect when you open that box - if it'll be love at first sight or disappointment. Nerve racking every time. I've had some duds, where I didn't see that there were cracks/stone lines or orange peels on the bangles but thankfully they were on inexpensive bangles and not the expensive ones.

Can't figure out if my bangle is considered red or orange. Would you call it a red or orange or maybe even brown? I have seen some jades that had a honey color or sometimes even yellowish brown called red. And some reds I think were called orange. Also some bluish colors are considered lavender. Sometimes I think because there is no standard we are left to call our pieces whatever we want.

fullsizeoutput_304f.jpeg

Can't figure out if my bangle is considered red or orange. Would you call it a red or orange or maybe even brown? I have seen some jades that had a honey color or sometimes even yellowish brown called red. And some reds I think were called orange. Also some bluish colors are considered lavender. Sometimes I think because there is no standard we are left to call our pieces whatever we want.

View attachment 5008247
I feel like there are many factors to consider with jade colors, since it's usually photogenic, loves taking in spotlight, changes tones under warm and cold light, even our skin tone always seem to affect the colors as well. Especially when the picture makes your bangle look burgundy to the point it almost matches your skin color! :lol:

View attachment 5008247
Wow @Silver Mom, is your bangle really as red as it looks on my screen in real life? It's magnificent. I would love to have one just like that. Did you get that from Alice? If you see any bangle available like that in size 60-61mm, please let me know or if there's more stone to make a custom one. :drool:

That's the problem with ordering online, you never know what to expect when you open that box - if it'll be love at first sight or disappointment. Nerve racking every time. I've had some duds, where I didn't see that there were cracks/stone lines or orange peels on the bangles but thankfully they were on inexpensive bangles and not the expensive ones.
Yeah I agree, but the defects shouldn't normally be the problem if you message the seller asking about it, and have them take pictures of it in various angles and lights, or the seller has it written in the listing description. Now in my opinion the orange peeling effect isn't a defect, since it's inevitable with many minerals making up jade with the softer minerals being abraded more so than others upon carving and polishing causing that effect, you can see + feel it in higher end jade pieces as well.

Reactions: szuszuszu
@AJadecent Angle, when I first started buying, I was pretty shy at asking more questions and for more pictures from the seller and ended up buying some with cracks, chips, etc. Lol, I am also very attracted to opaque jadeite bangles with alot of color/character so sometimes visually through just pictures it was hard to tell if it was a crack, fracture just a non surface reaching stone line. I am now much better at asking questions and telling the difference.

Reactions: AJadecent Angle

View attachment 5008247
So beautiful! My dream bangle! I would love to have a red like this one day! :heart::heart: My very first bangle when I was maybe 5 was a red one. I saw the cook’s daughter at my grandfather’s house had one and I pestered the cook lady to get me one too. She finally did get one from the market for me and I was so happy. (My hubby later said maybe she had to starve for a day to get that bangle for me:shocked:) anyway I think it was glass or plastic. I can’t recall. So that’s the history of the start of my love for jade bangles! Would really love a red one for me to remember that dear cook lady and her daughter ❤️

I feel like there are many factors to consider with jade colors, since it's usually photogenic, loves taking in spotlight, changes tones under warm and cold light, even our skin tone always seem to affect the colors as well. Especially when the picture makes your bangle look burgundy to the point it almost matches your skin color! :lol:
LOL, Living in Hawaii we are all a bit brown. Too much sun here.

Wow @Silver Mom, is your bangle really as red as it looks on my screen in real life? It's magnificent. I would love to have one just like that. Did you get that from Alice? If you see any bangle available like that in size 60-61mm, please let me know or if there's more stone to make a custom one. :drool:
Yes, ILOVE I did get it from my Alice. I get practically everything I have from her because I got burned once and want to see everything I buy now before I buy it. Plus she gives me a cert from either Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab or GIA so I am confident that it is a real Grade A item. In real life I have to say it changes color according to lighting. Sometimes more red and sometimes a little brown. I just now asked my hubby what color he thought it was and he said red. The picture above was taken in bright sun light. So that is why it might look so red but sometimes in some lighting it does have some brown. I think what it is is that the stone is a mixture of red, brown and yellow but the dominant color is red. I think it is almost impossible to have a stone that is strictly only one color because of how jade is made in the earth. Then in some fluorescent lighting it looks a bit orange. So I was wondering what color you guys thought it looked like. This is the perfect example of how jade color can change SO MUCH. LOL P.S. I will ask Alice if she has one tomorrow and let you know.

So beautiful! My dream bangle! I would love to have a red like this one day! :heart::heart: My very first bangle when I was maybe 5 was a red one. I saw the cook’s daughter at my grandfather’s house had one and I pestered the cook lady to get me one too. She finally did get one from the market for me and I was so happy. (My hubby later said maybe she had to starve for a day to get that bangle for me:shocked:) anyway I think it was glass or plastic. I can’t recall. So that’s the history of the start of my love for jade bangles! Would really love a red one for me to remember that dear cook lady and her daughter ❤
For sure you will get one. What a lovely story.

Reactions: VintageyGirl