The JADE thread!

How fun! There’s a place called Jade cove? :nuts:Did you collect these jade pieces there? Are you going to have them made into something?
Everytime I visit California, I’m drawn to visit jade cove in Big Sur where some of the local jade has tended to collect, though it can be found south and north along the coast, and more inland. If you’ve not been there, it’s one of the most beautiful places on earth and worth a visit! For those stones, the larger one sits on my desk at work. The little ones are in a bowl along with other small pieces I’ve collected. It’s nice just to dip my hands in them and to look at.

This is a piece of jade which came from Big Sur, though I’ve never found this quality! Hopefully someday...

Attachments

• 1B1158A7-2A36-4A91-9941-291295ABD1AF.jpeg
    1B1158A7-2A36-4A91-9941-291295ABD1AF.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 283
Thank you so much! You guessed it, a natural star sapphire! I just love these stones. This one is one of 2 larger ones which I’ve collected. This one has diamonds around it. Here are 2 better pictures.

I am usually more articulate..but oh wow.. just gorgeous. Are these stones from a particular region?

Everytime I visit California, I’m drawn to visit jade cove in Big Sur where some of the local jade has tended to collect, though it can be found south and north along the coast, and more inland. If you’ve not been there, it’s one of the most beautiful places on earth and worth a visit! For those stones, the larger one sits on my desk at work. The little ones are in a bowl along with other small pieces I’ve collected. It’s nice just to dip my hands in them and to look at.

This is a piece of jade which came from Big Sur, though I’ve never found this quality! Hopefully someday...

I have been to Big Sur but didn’t know about local jade..and certainly not about a cove where jade can be collected! Eeee!

Reactions: clairejune
I am usually more articulate..but oh wow.. just gorgeous. Are these stones from a particular region?

I have been to Big Sur but didn’t know about local jade..and certainly not about a cove where jade can be collected! Eeee!

Ah, then you know the area! Jade cove is next to sand dollar beach. There are two little rocky beaches there, one much harder than the other to climb down to. One has to hike out to a point and then scale down the cliff to the beach. But the jade can also be found on other beaches around there. My husband once found a piece of vonsen’s Blue jade on a beach north in Pointe Reyes. Ended up making a ring out of that one! Jade hunting is lots of fun in California. The scenery is beautiful, you get good exercise, and can take a nice picnic or eat at a local nearby. I’ve been told that the best pieces are found while diving/snorkeling in the area.

Re the star sapphires, often they are found in Sri Lanka, Burma and in other places. Every where that sapphires are found, stars can be found too, even rarely in Montana! Though, they are much more rare than sapphires. For every 100 gem quality mined sapphires, one star is found. Of those, only 1 in 100 is nearing gem quality. With stars, like jade, it is a balance of qualities which makes the stone. Too much silk, and the stone becomes opaque and color is affected. Too little, and it may not have a full star, or it has a weak star. Then one factors in things like inclusions, zoning, centerednessvof the star, whether the star has all legs, size etc. anything above 5 carats becomes exceedingly rare. This is why they are often not seen in mainstream jewelry, because jewelers could not secure enough of a reliable supply. One of the few jewelers who saved stars for designs after decades of collecting them is Oscar Heyman.
One has to be aware today that the market is flooded with synthetics and titanium stars, which are stars cooked into surfaces of either natural or synthetic cabochons. Thankfully, those are easy to distinguish. Not so easy is lead glass filled stars, especially star rubies. But also somewhat detectable by a high powered, gem microscope when the sapphire is translucent, and when you know what to look for. Opaque ones really need to be checked via lab. These treatments are relatively new, so if one buys an antique star, one is able to ensure that the star may have, at worst only been lightly heated. (Too much heat would dissolve the silk Since it melts at a much lower temp ). Or, buying from a reputable seller ensures a good quality authentic stone.

Last edited:
So before I posted here about maithong jewelry I had purchased a band ring. It was described as grade A. I got it today, but I have a doubt whether it is really grade A. It was only about $26 so I don't know. I like the ring and had initially planned to wear it continuously but I really don't want to wear one acid treated (in case its treated) and harm my finger. The ring is very pretty though. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_173614.jpg
    IMG_20180911_173614.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 271
@suchi , Allan used to have this nephrite jade from Washington state. Though it looks grey and black in the pics, it often had a very bluish tone IRL. I’m just pointing it out as a grey /black nephrite option instead of jadeite.
I have since gifted it to my mother but miss it a lot!

Just for fun, these are some of the Big Sur jade pieces which I found last summer. Since hwy 1 was closed after mud slides swept away sections of the highway and bridges on each side of Big Sur, we had to drive in through a back route, a narrow road through the mountains, which was terrifying! Getting down to Jade Cove was no easier as the cliffs had been badly erroded. It was so worth the trip. That’s when you know that you’re jade obsessed! That little road in the picture is hwy 1, taken after we were almost down from the mountain. The dramatic tectonic pressures and forces which created the landscape also helped to create the jade, in which sometimes one can see the geological turbulence in the stones.
Hey Claire I love your reference to being able to see the geological turbulence in the stones. I totally agree with that and have a BC Nephrite bangle (from the Cassiar mine) that looks very similar to yours. I can totally “see” and feel the raw & rugged energy of the land in it.

ACF00210-715D-41FB-90A9-56F03A4123CA.jpeg 68CEA89F-E032-479E-B81D-5BF2199264C5.jpeg 8FCD122A-D077-49F5-BD04-7C3BB6D886B8.jpeg 90CFA75A-04CD-4A38-A854-CA761BAB6D94.jpeg
The last photo is your piece, the others are my “Sweet Baby James” (I call him that for the song by James Taylor where he references “Deep Greens & Blues are the colors I choose” haha)
Our bangles could almost be sisters (or at the very least cousins?) I suppose geologically speaking California & Northern BC have a lot in common. Interesting to see that reflected in the bangles.
Hey Claire I love your reference to being able to see the geological turbulence in the stones. I totally agree with that and have a BC Nephrite bangle (from the Cassiar mine) that looks very similar to yours. I can totally “see” and feel the raw & rugged energy of the land in it.

Ah, then you know the area! Jade cove is next to sand dollar beach. There are two little rocky beaches there, one much harder than the other to climb down to. One has to hike out to a point and then scale down the cliff to the beach. But the jade can also be found on other beaches around there. My husband once found a piece of vonsen’s Blue jade on a beach north in Pointe Reyes. Ended up making a ring out of that one! Jade hunting is lots of fun in California. The scenery is beautiful, you get good exercise, and can take a nice picnic or eat at a local nearby. I’ve been told that the best pieces are found while diving/snorkeling in the area.

Re the star sapphires, often they are found in Sri Lanka, Burma and in other places. Every where that sapphires are found, stars can be found too, even rarely in Montana! Though, they are much more rare than sapphires. For every 100 gem quality mined sapphires, one star is found. Of those, only 1 in 100 is nearing gem quality. With stars, like jade, it is a balance of qualities which makes the stone. Too much silk, and the stone becomes opaque and color is affected. Too little, and it may not have a full star, or it has a weak star. Then one factors in things like inclusions, zoning, centerednessvof the star, whether the star has all legs, size etc. anything above 5 carats becomes exceedingly rare. This is why they are often not seen in mainstream jewelry, because jewelers could not secure enough of a reliable supply. One of the few jewelers who saved stars for designs after decades of collecting them is Oscar Heyman.
One has to be aware today that the market is flooded with synthetics and titanium stars, which are stars cooked into surfaces of either natural or synthetic cabochons. Thankfully, those are easy to distinguish. Not so easy is lead glass filled stars, especially star rubies. But also somewhat detectable by a high powered, gem microscope when the sapphire is translucent, and when you know what to look for. Opaque ones really need to be checked via lab. These treatments are relatively new, so if one buys an antique star, one is able to ensure that the star may have, at worst only been lightly heated. (Too much heat would dissolve the silk Since it melts at a much lower temp ). Or, buying from a reputable seller ensures a good quality authentic stone.

Thank you for this very educational post. Are you a gemologist or a super educated enthusiast? I aspire to the latter :biggrin:
I’d just canceled a trip last month to Glacier National Park in Montana because of the fires. One of my side activities was to seek out the Montana sapphire. Bummer. :crybaby:Re Big Sur... I’m going jade hunting!:nuts:
Oh Please post your vonsen’s (is that a type?) blue jade ring:hugs:

View attachment 4189574 View attachment 4189575 View attachment 4189576 View attachment 4189577
The last photo is your piece, the others are my “Sweet Baby James” (I call him that for the song by James Taylor where he references “Deep Greens & Blues are the colors I choose” haha)
Our bangles could almost be sisters (or at the very least cousins?) I suppose geologically speaking California & Northern BC have a lot in common. Interesting to see that reflected in the bangles.
Wow, that is a twin! How beautiful. It really does show history of the land in it. Looks amazing on you!

Reactions: Molly0
Thank you for this very educational post. Are you a gemologist or a super educated enthusiast? I aspire to the latter :biggrin:
I’d just canceled a trip last month to Glacier National Park in Montana because of the fires. One of my side activities was to seek out the Montana sapphire. Bummer. :crybaby:Re Big Sur... I’m going jade hunting!:nuts:
Oh Please post your vonsen’s (is that a type?) blue jade ring:hugs:
I’m just an enthusiast! Omg, I have always wanted to go sapphire hunting! Too bad you had to cancel. So glad to hear that you’re going jade hunting! My advise is be patient.

Re Vonsen’s blue, it is a type of blue green nephrite which comes from Sonoma. The mine claim was very small, and it is now on a goat farm, no longer mined. But the Pointe Reyes beaches supplied one small pebble which I double checked with Allan, which leads me to believe that the material is also out in the water too. I had it made into a giant boa ring with a champagne diamond which I already had....,here’s a picture!

Attachments

• 01C4D6FB-8F5D-45F7-A470-CB7441FEE4E3.jpeg
    01C4D6FB-8F5D-45F7-A470-CB7441FEE4E3.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 268
I’m just an enthusiast! Omg, I have always wanted to go sapphire hunting! Too bad you had to cancel. So glad to hear that you’re going jade hunting! My advise is be patient.

Re Vonsen’s blue, it is a type of blue green nephrite which comes from Sonoma. The mine claim was very small, and it is now on a goat farm, no longer mined. But the Pointe Reyes beaches supplied one small pebble which I double checked with Allan, which leads me to believe that the material is also out in the water too. I had it made into a giant boa ring with a champagne diamond which I already had....,here’s a picture!
What a beautiful piece!!!!