the high prices have kept me from enjoying my collection.

I understand your sentiments! I have been out of the Chanel loop for 6 years. My entire collection came from 2006-2010 when a medium CF was US$1,595 for caviar and US$1,695 for lambskin. Honestly I don't see them as treasures. They arent meant to be museum pieces, they are meant to be used. However, I do use them sparingly and only when the outfit calls for the shape and silhouette of a flap

I feel the same way about Birkins, they are tote bags not museum pieces. Who will use them? Value preservation is a fool's errand- esp when the skins and colors are ubiquitous in the secondhand market.

Most of my Chanel bags will mostly be used for evening now, events and going out, which means mostly evenings and weekends. Lighter colours I may use in the day in Summer. I have been wearing Chanel for 15 years, so I don’t really worry about the price factor. Most people I am around always thought they were much more expensive than they were. My first (classic medium, silver hardware) was £1800 in 2008 and people thought it was more like £18k back then. But for me, they have become something I want to wear when I go out and not day to day. But that’s due to my ‘slower’ lifestyle, rather than people knowing the price or the influx of people having Chanel on socials etc…Plus, this is the only social thing I have besides WhatsApp! So what people have online, doesn’t bother me.

I don't really understand why people suddenly feel concerned because the price of their bag, if they were purchasing it new, has increase. Your 10yo Chanel bag doesn't value at 10k at most places. If you try to resell it, it will probably be around the price you bought it. Not the price of a new one. Also, rare are the people who know when there's a Chanel increase and are tracking on the street are much those bags worth so they can judge you or rob you. People who are judging a 10k bag are also judging a 2k bag. So if you are feeling bad for going out with a Chanel, you should feel bad for going out with any luxury goods.
Just enjoy your bag. And keep in mind there's so many fake ones out there, there's a chance no one even knows you own a real one.
Yes one would be on a fools errand thinking they will get paid the 'value' (which is questionable anyway) now for a bag bought 10 yrs ago. I however disagree re being targeted. I was mugged last year and had my phone stolen. There are many places in London I would not wear a blingy jumbo with gold hardware regardless of needing to enjoy my things.

Yes one would be on a fools errand thinking they will get paid the 'value' (which is questionable anyway) now for a bag bought 10 yrs ago. I however disagree re being targeted. I was mugged last year and had my phone stolen. There are many places in London I would not wear a blingy jumbo with gold hardware regardless of needing to enjoy my things.

Oh yes I agree you can be a target for robbery. The thing is you will be a target if your wear any Chanel, LV, Hermès or any other well known luxury bags. Not only the jumbo from Chanel. Pickpockets doesn't track how much your bag has increased per year. A 2k bag is already something worth the robbery. That's why I don't get why it's such a big matter for people to wear a 10k bag when they were comfortable wearing a 9k bag.

There are many places in London I just wouldn't go.

Ppl think San Francisco is such a wonderful, beautiful city, but there are certain areas I have avoided over the years long before this luxury hype.

Reactions: Mjxxsyd
Coming from Sydney, always feeling safe… I actually walked around in SF with my classic flap outside in… I felt like people really was staring in certain areas in the inner city….
I shouldn't be laughing, but yes it is true. Certain pockets of SF are indeed not very safe. So you're smart to turn your bag outside in. I do this with my ring too. :biggrin: :lol: :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: Mjxxsyd
I'm in the minority here (like the op) and the crazy prices have affected my enjoyment of my bags. I have 4 chanel bags and have only, so far, used one (my jumbo) a few times. I love them and bought with the intention of using them, but they are so expensive I'm scared I'll damage them. I also don't live in a very sophisticated city in which to wear them out. I know its crazy...I just need to wear and enjoy them.

I guess I also view them as assets I can sell which also makes me cautious to use them as I know that'll impact resale value.

Reactions: lolasparks
Regarding robberies and being targeted, it's so interesting to me that this is so prevalent - especially with so many 1:1 fakes/replicas being made nowadays, are thieves really going to continue going after them, when probably 40-50% of them in public are fake? How is that worth their time? Especially when they have no way of distinguishing one from the other....
Anyone think we'll see a decline in these types of targeted attacks?

Regarding robberies and being targeted, it's so interesting to me that this is so prevalent - especially with so many 1:1 fakes/replicas being made nowadays, are thieves really going to continue going after them, when probably 40-50% of them in public are fake? How is that worth their time? Especially when they have no way of distinguishing one from the other....
Anyone think we'll see a decline in these types of targeted attacks?
I was thinking of the same as well !
Like especially with YouTubers there are so many who got robbed
1. Theresa Romer - several robbery attempts made
2. Tamara Kalinic - robbed and all luxury bags were stolen
3. Taiana F - all her bags and accessories were stolen
4, Dayles addiction - attempted robbery twice
5. Monseiur Ashley - robbed and everything taken

I think we got to be careful with what we post on social media,

I was thinking of the same as well !
Like especially with YouTubers there are so many who got robbed
1. Theresa Romer - several robbery attempts made
2. Tamara Kalinic - robbed and all luxury bags were stolen
3. Taiana F - all her bags and accessories were stolen
4, Dayles addiction - attempted robbery twice
5. Monseiur Ashley - robbed and everything taken

I think we got to be careful with what we post on social media,
Absolutely! With these youtubers, they knew the bags were the real deal and they had extensive collections all in one place, so they unfortunately went after them, but these planned robberies are quite a bit different than the grab-and-run street ones.

I think it also raises a question about the motive of the latter type of thieves - is it really to snatch an expensive bag (to resell) or is it about the other valuables that might be in the bag, and the expensive bag is just an extra for them, like a two-for-one?

Absolutely! With these youtubers, they knew the bags were the real deal and they had extensive collections all in one place, so they unfortunately went after them, but these planned robberies are quite a bit different than the grab-and-run street ones.

I think it also raises a question about the motive of the latter type of thieves - is it really to snatch an expensive bag (to resell) or is it about the other valuables that might be in the bag, and the expensive bag is just an extra for them, like a two-for-one?
Agreed Romina Rose may was tried to be mugged twice and first time they took her chanel bag.
Even Sophie Shohet in one of her videos mentioned about couple of people stalking her house to steal her expensive car.

Being on social media and showing off the extensive collection gives thieves free information about their lifestyle and wardrobe

how have you treated your chanel bags since the ridic price increases?

I’ve found out that since my handbags are now worth so much (compared to when I got them-some just a few short years back and some over 10 years ago) that I can’t seem to enjoy them anymore. I realized that I’m even more careful when I wear them out.. like they should be in glass cases where they’re protected.

I also feel silly walking around town meeting friends, doing errands with an ultra expensive handbag.

Wondering if others have felt the same way.
I absolutely feel that way. I got into handbags not long ago - just 3 years ago I got my first chanel mini flap in black lambskin and i was hooked! I had no idea the mini flap bags are going to be so difficult to acquire eventually. I wish I got them in different colours back then. I definitely do baby my bag now as i know i might not be able to get the exact same one if I damage/lose mine! That being i do wear them, but just try to be careful not to scratch them or wear them on rainy days.

Reactions: lolasparks