The HHSIL - how does one handle her?

^^And I won't even get into how she brags about all the affairs she had on my FIL. The good lesson out of my experience is that I will do my damndest to be the nicest MIL ever. lol

wow japster! i thought i had it bad.... my chinese, stubborn, old school, strict military time scheduled, retired, bossy, nosey, weird, bored, controlling, passive aggressive MIL lives with me and DH. :yucky: she even gets the master suite in our house! (that's about to change though cause we're building a new house and there will be 2 "suites") my DH is a MAJOR mama's boy too so it's double whammy for me. the only upside to her living with us is that i've never had to cook, buy groceries, clean, or do laundry! haha

as for my SIL, she's not really a fan of H...although she has a birkin herself! if some of you can recall, i had purchased 2 birkins in argentina last year and she ended up buying the gold togo from me. well...she still has not used it to this day and whenever i see her (with my H bag in tow), she goes on about what a "waste of money" hermes is and "it's only a purse"! DH and think she's just full of poo and makes no sense. she likes to downplay a lot of things to make herself feel not so materialistic in front of others.....yet she has a closet full of LVs, prada, gucci, chanel, cartier, bvlgari, manolos, jimmy choos, louboutins, etc....

Let's see...MIL is 6K miles away. SIL is 6K miles away. When we travel to see them about once a year, I am low key because I don't want to get into it with them. They really only value property ownership.

how she makes rude comments about my breast size/hair/clothes
Perja rudely complains about Japster having a nice "set" :graucho::graucho::graucho::graucho:

Oh honey, I feel for you, that's terrible.

I've always gotten along with the mothers of boyfriends so I count my blessings.

I'd make it perfectly clear that my money is my money and I can spend it how I wish.
But then again, thinking about it, I would probably end up described on a board as some kind of SIL from hell with her luxury items and her "I don't care what you think of me, it's MY money and I earned it" attitude. :roflmfao: I rarely put stock in what others think about me, other than my parents and best friends.

My Favorites:

If it's something simple that I can do like avoiding carrying a handbag for a day or so, it's fine by me. In the end the family wins out over the stuff so whatever I can do to keep the peace as long as it's not sacrificing my character or moral beliefs...it's fine.

...Trying to adjust or mollify someone who is just plain BAD is a drain on my energy, which I really need for other things.

:heart:

One thing I have realized is that people by a certain age have developed deeply ingrained and emotionally charged value systems on how they decide to spend their money. Everyone will spend on those particular luxuries they feel are "worth" it, while feeling that other luxuries are grossly extravagant. The trouble comes when a person tries to impose their values and priorities on others. In my experience, the only way to avoid discomfort and hostility is avoidance, plain and simple.

Although if anyone has a better solution, I'm willing to try it!

Sometimes this is true: :sad:
This thread brings to mind a discussion I'd with a friend. In laws see themselves huddled together as a brood. We stand on the outside. Truth be told. When it comes to money and valuables, they want to keep it all to themselves. All the best to themselves.

And in case anyone's interested, this is my situation:
Unfortunately I have been gifted with a MIL from hell-Keep in my mind I have always kept my mouth shut and never once insulted her or uttered a bad word to her out of respect for my dh.I would never talk to her about my bags, jewelry or anything. None of her business.

But only her. I get along w/ everyone else in my DH's side of the family!:yahoo: :wlae:

Last but not least, ITA with this:

I'd make it perfectly clear that my money is my money and I can spend it how I wish.
I rarely put stock in what others think about me, other than my parents and best friends.

Good luck, Gina! Unfortunately, you can't force other people to like you. Just as long as your DH treats you like a queen, that's all that matters. :yes:

Japster, how awful, poor dear! But I agree with you, these things teach us how NOT to be; you'll be a FANTASTIC MIL!!!!

About my SIL (DH's sister) we only see each other a couple of times a year, we have nothing in comon, and I wear whatever I like when I see her, and couldn't care less what she thinks!!!!

Ah criminy.

I love my SIL's, all four of them, but dang, they don't understand the purse thing. Even the most wealthy one doesn't get it.

So whenever I visit, I just tell them my bags are fake. They all breathe a sigh of relief. Sad, but true.

My sisters-in-law both live 4000 miles away, so I don't see them very often. One SIL (married to my brother) is cool with fashion and accessories (she's an LV lover and has a nice collection) and she'll often compliment me on something I'm wearing or carrying. But she's not nosy or catty, so we get along fine. The other SIL (married to DH's brother) doesn't seem to be very interested in fashion, but will frequently brag about things my BIL bought/did for her/how wonderful he is (BIL behaves like a trained poodle). Everytime we either talk or get together, she has to inject some braggadocio into the conversation, whether it is related to what we're discussing or not. I honestly don't know WHAT her prob is. I've only gotten together with her a few times since she married DH's brother, and I've decided that I really don't like her and am not interested in being *friends* with her either. Fortunately, we don't have to see them often.

DH's parents also live in another country, albeit closer to where we are, but, again, we don't see them often, and they have no clue what Hermes is. So no need for me to hide anything.

I'd have to say that my own mother is the one who's the biggest pain about these things and a major busybody. She also lives around 4000 miles away, but I see her every few months. I have stuff sent to her house, which she'll either fwd to me or I'll pick up when I go to the US, and of course, I always get comments. Or, if she comes to visit us and sees me wearing something, she'll say "Oh, I never saw that before. Is it new? Where did you get it from? How much did it cost?" UGH! I know she means well, but I've had to tell her more than once to butt out. I don't feel singled out because she does the exact same thing to my brother over things that cost far less.

Actually, I am getting rid of my 2 sil's who both think that brighton is a luxury. My dd's boyfiend's Mom, is a sweetie, but totally clueless about fashion. So, I just don't take them when I know I'm going to be around her.

My SIL (wife of my husband's older bro) is very fashionable & very beautiful herself. She loves luxury & high end items. Always dressed impeccably & polished (hello.. hair extensions, weekly manicures, salon sessions, make-ups, etc). She spends way more than me on all those things. I spend more on bags.

We actually kinda inspire each other. When she purchases a new item (handbag, clothes, watches, jewelleries, etc), she told me all about it and always asks whether I want one too, she doesn't mind get it for me first and vice versa. I don't know what's going on behind my back, but upfront, she's pretty nice to me & not the flaunting/snobbish type either. As for H, she loves birkin too. We kinda in the same path, I guess :kiss:

It's weird that my MIL hates her so much (MIL always complains & say lots of nasty negative things about her to me--SIL knows about it, but she doesn't care). So, I'm kinda stuck in the middle sometimes :Push:

Ps. My mom always told me to side with MIL no matter what though :sweatdrop: