"The Fighter" (Marky Mark, Amy Adams, Christian Bale, etc.)

tmc089

O.G.
Oct 6, 2007
Has anyone seen this movie yet? Any thoughts?

BF and I went to see it a few days ago and I thought it was really spectacular. I feel that every single person, regardless of how big or small the role was, did an outstanding job and completely sold it. There were times where I completely forgot I was watching a movie!

I've heard of some people not liking it because they were expecting a fighting movie, but it's really far more of a biography than a movie focused on his career.

Let me know what you all thought!

I saw it with my SO and friends... I loved it as well! Agree with everything you said... and Bale was absolutely amazing IMO. I barely recognized him with all that weight loss. It was also nice to see Amy Adams in a grittier role, she delivered some zingers that's for sure!

I was so shocked that it only got 2 stars... I thought it deserved so much more than that! My SO walked in expecting more of a fighting movie but walked out liking it for what it was.

Its actually getting great reviews and Oscar/Golden Globe buzz so that 2 stars is wrong & ridiculous. I really liked seeing Amy Adams in this role, its the complete opposite of what she has played.

Yeah, maybe one reviewer gave it 2 stars, but overall it's been pretty critically acclaimed. On rottentomatoes.com it has 89% favorable reviews. There are always some critics that don't like anything.

I do movie reviews on my Facebook, feel free to friend me to add your comments too. Here were my thoughts on The Fighter.

Lindy Taylor
‎***Lindy's Movie Review*** THE FIGHTER 4-stars

Is it good? Yes. But have patience with this film, it starts out slow, building, collecting characters and emotions throughout each scene. And it is NOT a Hollywood Rocky type of story.

If you want that out of this movie, hang up your gloves now and don't let the gym d...oor hit you in the... behind. But if you want a movie where the characters pin a great big ol' heart on their sleeve for you to see, come on in and take a locker.

This is the true life story of brothers Micky and Dickie Ward, both prize fighters back in the day, 1980 style. Mark Wahlberg plays the younger, 'good guy' brother; certainly a respectable performance. But the real knockout comes from Christian Bale, his crack smokin' brother and trainer. Also, real kudos to Melissa Leo who plays their overbearing, trashy mother and manager. We all know someone just like her character, Camel cig and the attitude to go with it. They are both marvelous and deserve oscars.

It doesn't take long for you to realize the real opponent isn't the other guy in the ring. It's all the punches that real life throws at you, trying to split your eye open and knock you to your knees. Do you have the guts to stare it right back in the eyes and get back up swinging? Therein lies the movie.

67142_1631861008054_1582505913_1524143_3597579_s.jpg

Last edited:
i liked the movie... but i honestly didn't "feel" for marky mark's character as much as another underdog sports movie. i didn't think his character was developed enough maybe?

Bale was AMAZING. i hope this earns him an oscar nod. his ability to transform into this character deserves recognition. the last movie i saw him in was dark night and what a 180 from that role! i've always loved all of his movies (from little women to the prestige and american psycho.. i even loved him in newsies. LOL!)

Saw it, very good flick. The review is right; it's bit slow moving at times but the performances make it worth the extra time. Christian Bale is scarily good as the crack-addicted brothers. Mark Wahlberg and the actress (I know her last name is Leo) are notably good as well.