The contemporaries of the High end brands

Sa26

Aug 24, 2019
I think many won’t agree with me but I wanted to do this post about contemporary brands which resembles the most to a high end brand.

I’m not talking about bags similar to others but how one contemporary brand resembles the most the feel of a specific high end brand

Let’s start so you can see what I mean..

Michael by Michael Kors is the Equivalent to Louis Vuitton

Because both have a huge variety of bags and both want to have purses or bags which you can take them from day to night and both care to bring a very good quality. Louis Vuitton much more but still both brands seem to care a lot about the versatility of their purses.

They have something for every woman and that is something to really appreciate.

Coach is the Equivalent to Chanel
Both brands are about having a classic look and not caring much about trends. the chains of their bags are vey elegant and high Quality for both is a most.

Rebecca Minkoff is the Equivalent to Saint Laurent
Both brands are mostly about trends. The look of both brands is very Rock Star like. You feel young with those brands. These two are all about being cool and and have have that bicker chick look

What do yo girls think ?

Nope. For me it misses or undervalues the dynamic of how fashion ideas roll out. Premium brand designers set the design and trend ideas, which mass-market brands borrow, reinterpret, capitalize on for a broader consumer base. And many other distinctions persist that make the word "equivalent" off base.

Maybe others will find this persuasive?

Last edited:
Nope. For me it misses or undervalues the dynamic of how fashion ideas roll out. Premium brand designers set the design and trend ideas, which mass-market brands borrow, reinterpret, capitalize on for a broader consumer base. And many other distinctions persist that make the word "equivalent" off base.

Maybe others will find this persuasive?

True that the high definitely set the trends for everyone but well what about if a rephrase it like certain contemporary brands try to emulate the whole concept of very specific high end brand.
Share they take ideas from every other brand.

I said MK it’s like LV but definitely takes a lot of inspiration from YSL especially with the Mercer mag looking a lot like the Sac de Jour. and I Said coach reminds me the Most to Chanel but the Cassie seems highly inspired by the pochette Mettise from LV.

of course all mass brands take ideas from all the top high end designers but I’m sure each of the contemporary brands have a certain affinity to a very specific designer.

MK copies every single successful bag design brought out by other brands. LV mostly does their own design work. I don't see a lot of things combining these two.

Coach has been sporting a bit Chanel-esque vibes lately, with the chain straps and flap bags and they pretty much copied LV PM but somehow I don't hold it against them. Coach still has mostly original designs and, with the price hikes LV has done for years, Coach Cassie looks like a smarter choice, no matter how great the PM is. With the quality issues LV has been having lately, it actually seems Cassie is more worth buying than PM.

Last edited:
MK copies every single successful bag design brought out by other brands. LV mostly does their own design work. I don't see a lot of things combining these two.

Coach has been sporting a bit Chanel-esque vibes lately, with the chain straps and flap bags and they pretty much copied LV PM but somehow I don't hold it against them. Coach still has mostly original designs and, with the price hikes LV has done for years, Coach Cassie looks like a smarter choice, no matter how great the PM is. With the quality issues LV has been having lately, it actually seems Cassie is more worth buying than PM.

Ohh I don’t hold it against it any of the copying brands hehe, I think it’s a smart buy going for a Mercer instead of the Sac de Jour or the Cassie instead of the LV PM sure if sure someone wants to go for the high end brand good for them but it’s great Contemporary brand give that option of getting something which looks a lot like a bag you loved from a super expensive brand but half the price.

I lost interest in MK when every teenager started wearing MK bags. Lost all appeal. For awhile I lost interest in Coach for the same reason. Now Coach is trying to regain their image with more higher end bags and none of the cheaper fabric logo bags they once had a plethora of. When they came out with Coach 1941 items I became j interested again and especially in their exotics snakeskin detailed bags.

As for the high end bags. Nothing compares. No Coach or MK bag gives the same vibe or feel as the real deal. Now I surf mostly Farfetch waiting for the 30% sales with another extra 30% off sale items. Basically more than half off and the bag is brand new luxury designer. At least they have DG, YSL, Givenchy, Prada, Ferragamo etc. The only brand I cant seem to find are LV and Chanel (except for preowned). I've become interested in Givenchy a lot lately.

I think you have a very good point Sa26. And take it a step further maybe, and look at target market/demographics of these brands. Is the target market of LV and MK very similar but just at a different price point? I think yes. Does the MK shopper aspire to buy LV and save up and move up to purchase LV goods? I think yes. I think you are spot on with this comparison.

Is the target market of Coach and Chanel very similar? Same thing- yes. But there are some Coach customers that move up to LV, but especially since the new direction the line has taken with Stuart Vevers a Coach customer is more likely to move up to Chanel, Mulberry, Prada etc due to the focus on superior leather and craftmanship which frankly LV does not have. LV has logo appeal, Coach customers are leather junkies through and through.

Reactions: Shelby33
I think you have a very good point Sa26. And take it a step further maybe, and look at target market/demographics of these brands. Is the target market of LV and MK very similar but just at a different price point? I think yes. Does the MK shopper aspire to buy LV and save up and move up to purchase LV goods? I think yes. I think you are spot on with this comparison.

Is the target market of Coach and Chanel very similar? Same thing- yes. But there are some Coach customers that move up to LV, but especially since the new direction the line has taken with Stuart Vevers a Coach customer is more likely to move up to Chanel, Mulberry, Prada etc due to the focus on superior leather and craftmanship which frankly LV does not have. LV has logo appeal, Coach customers are leather junkies through and through.

You make great points too and I can tell you as an MK client I’d like to save up for an LV but not because I’m crazy about the Logo but because I Their variety of bags, they have thousands of styles and all seem so durable like you don’t have to baby them.

With LV it seems like you can throw it from a flour above and will do fine lol. If I’d buy a luxury bag I’d go for LV because I need to make sure it will last but I won’t or wouldn’t abandon MK I think they make really beautiful bags and one thing I love from both brands it’s their versatility, they have so many bags which are so easy to dress them up or down.

Like you can wear them casual clothes at day and by nine you just put on a nice dress and can still wear that bag. Actually the LV I’d like the most is not the Never full or the spedee I’m after the Alma BB or favorite MM because I’m a minimalist.
In my bag I only carry my sunglasses, coin purse/Mini Wallet, a lip gloss and my phone which is quite big but not crazy big it’s 6.3 inches screen.

My love for Coach was resurrected now that the guy who used to design for Loewe is the creative director for Coach. Homeboy knows how to do a collection. So forget what other people say about Coach. If you love it, you love it.