Tech The Best Wireless Router that's Easy to Set-Up

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
We have a Linksys wireless router, and it seems to have just suddenly stopped working. No explanation, no rhyme or reason, but neither laptop will connect, the PS3, the Wii - the only thing that connects to the internet is our desktop PC (which is physically connected to the router and doesn't wirelessly transmit).

I hate how the Linksys is set up - it's not very user friendly at all. Resetting it, unplugging - I even fully disconnected it -- doesn't reset it back to factory standards. As soon as I reconnected the router, it detected my password & settings and didn't make any difference.

Can someoene suggest a wireless router - that doesn't cost more than $80-100 - that's fairly easy to use and set up and is reliable?

How old is your current model and which model is it? Lynksis models used to have a pin hole in the back that was required to make a factory reset (which is good because you didnt want a reset if you accidentally lost power.). Now the hole is a little larger and more visible.

It's only about 18 mos old -- I've pushed the reset button in the back and it doesn't so anything. We had some issues with this router a few months back and I completely disconnected it, removed the software, etc - as soon as I reloaded it and reconnected it, it detected all of the original settings from the first time I connected it!

we also tried everything last night - pushing the reset button, unplugging the modem and the router, changing the ports in the back - we even removed the security to see if that was the problem. I removed the router settings from my laptops and re-entered them. What's strange is that both laptops seem to pick up the signal (it gives the details and says the signal is "Excellent") but neither one will connect and it was working fine all day - it just suddenly stopped working (I walked away from my laptop and when I came back, I didn't have an internet connection)

Last edited:
It's only about 18 mos old -- I've pushed the reset button in the back and it doesn't so anything. We had some issues with this router a few months back and I completely disconnected it, removed the software, etc - as soon as I reloaded it and reconnected it, it detected all of the original settings from the first time I connected it!

Pushed isn't enough. It a push and hold. Somethink like 5-10 seconds.

I have a linksys wireless also. can you run the software and add devices? maybe remove all devices and re-add them with a new security key. you usually have to move the key to a flash drive and run it on the laptop. worst case, your m.a.c address for the router is mess up or changed. that's a lot more evolved though.

just look for a wireless router in the $60 range - i think some main brands are netgear, belkin... can't remember what i currently have.
i had a $30 wireless router and that just stopped working a couple months ago (i've had it for a few years) - was hoping i could find one just as cheap but no luck. ended up getting one for about $60.

i could get up and go look at the brand but i have a kitty sleeping on me :biggrin:

Wow. That is soooo weird because the exact same thing happened to me with my Linksys router yesterday! It was working fine, then all of a sudden it just stopped and I had no internet connection until I bypassed it and just hooked the modem up to my computer. My router isn't that old either, but I'm going to have to get a new one now. I tried everything to get it working again but nothing worked. It was quite irritating.

Are you sure it's your router and not your internet provider? If there's no internet signal, all your devices might see a great connection, but it won't matter cause it's can't receive any data via that connection.
Can you take your router to a friend's house...someone you know with a working connection, then try it there? Maybe call your ISP and confirm nothing is wrong on their end first.
If none of those options help, you can go into any Best Buy or CompUSA and pick up a decent, easy to set up router for 30 bucks. TrendNet seems to be a decent, low end brand. If ti breaks in a couple of years, who cares...it was 30 bucks.