The Bbag Chat Room

I have a black First with pewter hardware and a long strap from 2003 and I posted a mod about three years ago. The strap is too short for me to wear crossbody so I can only wear it as a shoulder bag ( I am tall so it might work better on someone petite). I use a strap from another bag when I want to carry a crossbody.

I can post mod shots If you would like to see the strap on the shoulder and across the body.

To be honest, I find the long strap to be awkward and uncomfortable as it constantly slips off my shoulder. I prefer the first with a shorter strap because they’re comfortable and stay in place and you can just attach a longer strap when you want to wear it as a crossbody.

I have a black First with pewter hardware and a long strap from 2003 and I posted a mod about three years ago. The strap is too short for me to wear crossbody so I can only wear it as a shoulder bag ( I am tall so it might work better on someone petite). I use a strap from another bag when I want to carry a crossbody.

I can post mod shots If you would like to see the strap on the shoulder and across the body.

To be honest, I find the long strap to be awkward and uncomfortable as it constantly slips off my shoulder. I prefer the first with a shorter strap because they’re comfortable and stay in place and you can just attach a longer strap when you want to wear it as a crossbody.
I’ve just never thought to wear the First crossbody but then it’s not my fave way to carry a bag. The only one I have left is a 24” strap and I would imagine it sits crossbody on me like your 03 sits on you. Mod shots are always appreciated. :biggrin:

Would love to see mod shots!

Reactions: Kimbashop
Some archival info from Corey at RDC:

The earliest Firsts had hand-cut straps as the lengths would vary a bit from bag to bag. The Flat Brass Firsts from 2001 and S/S 2002 had around a 24" long strap from clip to clip. Then in F/W '02 the Flat Brass First had strap that was between 27" to 29".

The Pewter Hardware First bags from F/W '02 in suede or monk leather were pretty consistent in 29" from clip to clip and introduced the weight distributor.

The long, 29" strap held true in S/S '03 as well, but by F/W '03 the First bag's strap was reduced to 18" which it has remained since.

Those longest 29" straps can be worn cross-body by petite and/or thin women.

Yes, you are so right! I’m not one to do the work you mentioned, that is why I was looking for bags with minimal wear and tear.
Actually, I don’t know if I like the size of the first, I fell in love with the color... I just need my bags crossbody, since I have a two year old... but, I prefer crossbody bags in general...
You might want to check out Velos and Towns. Both wear crossbody, but the Town is pretty close in size to the First. The Velo is a pretty large bag but stays close to the body when worn crossbody.

Yes, you are so right! I’m not one to do the work you mentioned, that is why I was looking for bags with minimal wear and tear.
Actually, I don’t know if I like the size of the first, I fell in love with the color... I just need my bags crossbody, since I have a two year old... but, I prefer crossbody bags in general...
I bought a first once for the color. I ended up returning it because of a perfume smell that wasn't disclosed, but I also decided that even though the bag was big enough to hold my things, I didn't like the way it looked on me. Maybe because there is so much detail in such a small area.
You might want to check out Velos and Towns. Both wear crossbody, but the Town is pretty close in size to the First. The Velo is a pretty large bag but stays close to the body when worn crossbody.
I love my Velo.

Oh, yes, I love the Velo! However, where I live there aren’t many options and I don’t want to order from fashionphile or any other store that is not in the country that I live...

Here are some modshots with my 2003 First. I believe the strap is 20". I am 5'8" (173 cm). Pardon the dog toys in the background

. View attachment 5060996View attachment 5060998View attachment 5060999
Thank you for the lovely mod pics! :flowers:

I think the First with a longer strap looks gorgeous! But I have to agree with you and muchstuff that it does look a bit too short to be carried comfortably cross body for longer periods. Though it is clearly doable.

I've carried my City:s cross body a few times when shopping in stores where you have to bend down a lot to get at fruit and veggies placed close to the floor etc and I was afraid the bag would fall off my shoulder. It's not comfortable and I'm in constant angst for the edge coating :lol: but it can be done if necessary.

Thank you for the lovely mod pics! :flowers:

I think the First with a longer strap looks gorgeous! But I have to agree with you and muchstuff that it does look a bit too short to be carried comfortably cross body for longer periods. Though it is clearly doable.

I've carried my City:s cross body a few times when shopping in stores where you have to bend down a lot to get at fruit and veggies placed close to the floor etc and I was afraid the bag would fall off my shoulder. It's not comfortable and I'm in constant angst for the edge coating :lol: but it can be done if necessary.
Hope this helps. It does hang well as a shoulder bag. As you can see, though, it is a bit awkward as a crossbody. I use another strap if I’m going to be out all day and need to be hands free. Another solution would be to add chain extenders to the end of the strap itself.

overall, I definitely recommend the 2003 bags. The leather is incredible. I find the First to be such a versatile size too.

thank you! It’s my first Bbag and I have been dreaming of owning one for years because it’s edgy and classic at the same time but I always get sidetracked with LV. I decided to get a brand new City ME because I have no plans of letting it go!
I'm sure you will be very happy with it, the Metallic Edge Bals are :loveeyes: And it's so exciting waiting for the bag to arrive, isn't it?! I'm like my kids at Christmas :lol:

• Love
Reactions: p.l.c.r. and JenJBS