The bag you make yourself use

Dec 27, 2013
Do you have a bag that you don't quite love or that doesn't quite match your lifestyle? Was it an impulse buy or a gift or is it just a relic of your former style? Or do you ruthlessly prune your collection to make sure these misfits don't linger too long on your closet shelves?

Tell me about the bag you have to plan to use rather than the ones you just naturally reach for.

Mine is a Coach Madison-Sadie small satchel. In a lot of ways, it's a perfect bag. I love that it has a detachable crossbody strap and a top handle. It sits close to my body, which is nice for travel, and it holds the essentials.

However, it's ice-blue, a color I love but looks awful on me. I thought I could get away with having just a bag in that color, but of course, since it doesn't suit my coloring, I don't have that many articles of clothing to match it. When I wear it, usually with black and white, I really like it, but I have other blue bags that match 99% of my outfits much better.

Reactions: papertiger
Longchamp Roseau. It's a bit too boxy and shiny and polished. It was and still is my HG but I hardly ever use it. The few times I have managed to get her out the door, it's mostly been a scene of paranoia and worrying over scuffs and scratches. Plus awkward wrestling with a square bag. I do like that it's all open space inside but still...

Reactions: Annabel Lee
It took me a while to realize that my favorite bags are all small crossbody bags of various sorts. I've done some work to clean up my collection, but I still have a couple of misfits lingering in the closet.

First place goes to a Kate Spade Kennedy Street Brooks satchel that I got on eBay for a song in 2015. I keep it around because I feel like I "ought to" have a conservative, medium-large black bag in my closet, but I have almost no need for it. It's not big enough to fit my laptop, so I can't use it as a work bag, and on weekends I don't haul a lot of stuff around with me. It's just not a great fit for my wardrobe either. Not sure why I won't let myself get rid of it.

My runner-up is a Vince bucket bag that won't stay on my shoulder, especially when I"m not wearing a coat or jacket with a defined shoulder seam. It's super minimal and sleek, but I feel like a huge dork always shrugging it back onto my shoulder, or carrying it with the shoulder strap in the crook of my arm. Should have thought that one through; it was an online impulse purchase.

The moral of the story is that I need to try before I buy-- and stay away from final sale anything!

Reactions: papertiger
It's hard for me to use brand new bags. They have to feel like mine before I use them

Apart from a few exceptions, I usually have to wait a while, perhaps to forget the price ha ha

Funny, I am exactly the opposite -- if I don't use a new bag right away, the chances go up that it will sit in the closet go up. It's the same with clothes -- if I wear it right away, I keep wearing it, but if it sits and waits, it continues to linger, unused.

As far as the bag I need to force myself to use, that would be my Balenciaga City. I love the look of it, but the shoulder strap has never worked for me and I can't do handheld bags. I also do better with bags that have some structure, and the City is pretty unstructured. I came close to selling it but realized that if I did, I'd always want one in my collection. So it stays, rarely used, to keep me from buying another one!

All of my bucket bags. I have realized that while I like the look, I hate the way that my stuff settles at the bottom like a trash bag.
I have two vintage Coach bucket bags. I don't want to ruin them because they are just for collection purposes. I collect vintage Coach and Dooney.
I have one from Elliot Luca. Beautiful color and has both a handheld and shoulder strap.
Vince Camuto. Sleek. Minimal. Gorgeous blue color with gold hardware on each corner.
Since I didn't pay that much for them, I keep them.

I echo bucket bags. I have a lovely vintage Dooney bucket passed down from my mom, but I don't find it very convenient for regular day to day use. There is no lining, no organization, and the opening is kind of gaping for anyone to reach into. But it is beautiful and one of a kind.

I also tend to use lighter weight bags more and more. I have some larger bags which I thought I would wear daily, but because of the weight I just got tired of carrying them around, especially those without a shoulder strap option.

Funny, I am exactly the opposite -- if I don't use a new bag right away, the chances go up that it will sit in the closet go up. It's the same with clothes -- if I wear it right away, I keep wearing it, but if it sits and waits, it continues to linger, unused.

As far as the bag I need to force myself to use, that would be my Balenciaga City. I love the look of it, but the shoulder strap has never worked for me and I can't do handheld bags. I also do better with bags that have some structure, and the City is pretty unstructured. I came close to selling it but realized that if I did, I'd always want one in my collection. So it stays, rarely used, to keep me from buying another one!
Have you thought about having a better shoulder strap made? A Samorga or LoveLolo felt organizer will solve the structure dilemma easily. :smile: