Tax free shopping in US?

Londoner

O.G.
Jan 30, 2007
I will be visiting Las Vegas at the end of May for work. Would like to do some shopping there too. Just wonder is there a tax refund system in Vegas that is similar to the one in Europe? Menaing non residents do not need to pay tax when they shop in US. Please advise. Many thanks. :smile:

Hey there,

As far as I know you still have to pay sales tax on all purchased items; when I use to visit the U.S. (before I moved here permanently) I would always get charged sales tax. Perhaps there is a way to get that refunded to you, but I'm not aware of a way to do that...

I think everyone has to pay sales tax. We don't have a refund system at all here, to my knowledge. The only thing I can think of to avoid paying sales tax is to order on-line from www.eluxury.com

You'd need to have your package shipped to a US address, though, and it can't be a hotel (I don't think, anyway). Or you could order from a store in one state that doesn't have a store in another state and have it shipped to an address in the second state, but that gets complicated too if you don't have an actual place of residence.

HTH!

Certain stores, like Macy's, will give you a coupon for a % off if you show an out of town ID. The purpose is to counter the sales tax. You can always check with the customer service of the different department stores.

how about duty free shopping @ airport? although the selection wont be as good as regular retailer, i guess that's one of the way to avoid sales tax..

I guess you can always go for factory outlets ;)
No tax rebates but good bargain and genuine. :okay:
Check out
Las Vegas Blvd, Primm
Las Vegas Premium Outlets

Happy shopping. Sigh:Push:, wish i am there again......

When I visited I did not get a tax refund and the SAs didn't know what I was talking about. I was allowed not to pay tax in certain stores, but it was very inconsistent. In Hermes (this is in Charlotte) the SA simply got my Passport number (like in Europe) and didn't charge any tax. In LV they refused to do it. :confused1: IMO the tax system where I was visiting was very confusing and annoying.

Tax is a local issue. Different counties have different policies about taxes and what items are taxed. There are some states where there is no sales tax for clothing and shoes (like Pennsylvania).

I agree is it is confusing but the US is a big place with lots of counties where each one has its own policies. I don't think there is a uniform approach for visitors from out of the country. Be happy that the dollar is weak and happy shopping!

Some states don't charge tax on clothing items.

Additionally, some states have a tax holiday once a year where you pay no tax on items for an entire day.

Certain stores, like Macy's, will give you a coupon for a % off if you show an out of town ID. The purpose is to counter the sales tax. You can always check with the customer service of the different department stores.

When I went on a business trip to Las Vegas back in 2006, I went to Macy's (down the street from the Mirage where I was staying) and went to their visitor's desk and asked for a pass (I can't remember what it was called). The rep at the visitor's desk asked for my out-of-state license and provided me the coupon you are referencing after they reviewed my driver's license. I had fun with that coupon that day. ;)

i thought there was no sales tax period in las vegas? i thought that if you were out of the country there was some form you could fill out at the airport of on the airplane or something. like you save your receipt and then you get a check back later.
ugh... chicago's is 10%!