Tangerine vs. Orange Help!

Sassy

O.G.
Dec 21, 2005
I recently got a tangerine MAM and an "orange" MAM because I really wanted an orange-colored MAM but didn't know what the difference was between the two colors. After speaking with a couple of people on this subforum (thanks LR and Loquita!), I am pretty sure the "orange" MAM is burnt orange. My pictures are really poor quality (taken from an iPhone in horrible lighting), but the features are the following:

Tangerine- gold hardware (dogleash hook), square ring, black & white floral lining, the leather is quite dry and the color is more muted than the "orange."
"Orange"- mixed gold hardware, D-ring, blue & white striped lining (but could not find a "made in china" label inside and the plastic bag it came in had a sticker that said "made in usa"), the color is more saturated and brighter than the tangerine.

So my questions for the RM experts are, is the "orange" indeed burnt orange? What year is the tangerine from? (the tangerine I received is not as glazed as some of those in the Color Reference thread) Any information you can provide about either of these leathers would be helpful as I am trying to decide whether to keep one of them or hold out for another orange (like orange haze!)! :smile:

Attachments

• tangy.vs.burntorange.jpg
    tangy.vs.burntorange.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,821
I am no expert but experienced the same thing you did and I think the "orange" out there is burnt orange. Personally, I think the names ought to be reversed. The official "tangerine" looks more like a burnt orange and vice versa.

For the record- I ordered "orange" from gilt awhile ago and it was technically burnt orange.

ITA w/ spykitty -- from what you describe, you got a burnt orange bag...which is a great thing, 'cause that's a lovely color! And the fact that it was made in the US would make sense, since RM didn't start outsourcing to China until shortly after the burnt orange bags came out.

Fall 2008 = Burnt Orange (the burnt orange MAC was the very first bag that was produced with mixed HW, if I am not mistaken -- it came out in early Nov. 2008)

Spring 2008 = Tangerine (signature HW -- again, one of the first bags produced with that HW combo).

From my experience with these two leathers (I have owned both), I get the sense that the tangerine is thicker, drier, and a more distressed (though not as distressed as the orange haze is supposed to be...or at least looks to be). The burnt orange has the slightest glaze with a bit of shimmer, and doesn't smoosh as much, at least in my experience with these two bags. I suspect that the burnt orange MAM is a bit rarer as well, since there was at least one recut for the tangerine bags due to high demand in spring 2008.

Hope this helps! :flowers:

I had the burnt orange MAM at one time and sold it to get the Tangerine MAM. The burnt orange leather in the MAM - just wasn't right for me. Too tough or something.

BUT - the burnt orange is terrific in the MAC style.

Go figure - it's all trial and error sometimes.

I had the burnt orange MAM at one time and sold it to get the Tangerine MAM. The burnt orange leather in the MAM - just wasn't right for me. Too tough or something.

BUT - the burnt orange is terrific in the MAC style.

Go figure - it's all trial and error sometimes.

That's funny because it's the opposite with the bags i got, the tangerine is very thick and dry (as Loquita says) and the burnt orange is the one that seems more delicate because it's smooth and thin! I wonder if there are other tangerines still out there which are glossier and smoother like some of the pics on the Color Reference thread.

That's funny because it's the opposite with the bags i got, the tangerine is very thick and dry (as Loquita says) and the burnt orange is the one that seems more delicate because it's smooth and thin! I wonder if there are other tangerines still out there which are glossier and smoother like some of the pics on the Color Reference thread.

There are 2 tangerines, I know that much for sure but I can only speak about mine. It's semi glossy I guess you could say? and is smooshy, thick and delicious :nuts: As for being dry, it could have been caused by the environment your bag was stored/kept it prior to you getting it.

I am trying to post some close up pics of the two bags but I think the file sizes are too big... does anyone know how to resize pics?

I upload my photos to photobucket, prior to uploading you can choose the size you want the photos to be. I then just resave the photos after that or embed them into the post itself instead of as an attachment but not everyone can see photos that way. Otherwise, you can use a photo editing program. Most computers come with one.

The first picture is tangerine and the second is "orange." Thanks for all the great info! I would be grateful for any more thoughts on what I should consider in choosing one! :smile:

Attachments

• tangy.2.JPG
    tangy.2.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,250
  • orange.2.JPG
    orange.2.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,234
Last edited:
Tangerine has actually been released two times. It was released in Spring 2008 with a lightly glazed leather, signature hardware, and zipper tabs. Its very lovely. Then tangerine was again released in Spring 2009, with short tassels/mixed hardware, and a smooshier, less glazed leather. It does have a slight gloss to it, but its not as glazed as the spring ones were. Then to add to the mix is the burnt orange which was for Fall 08, but there may be variations to the burnt orange leathers because it was sold at quite a few Gilt and sample sales. I'm pretty sure the "orange" MA you have is burnt orange :yes:

I'm just gonna add more confusion to the mix here. . . I got a "Tangie" MAM from the SF SS this past spring and it looks EXACTLY like your "Orange" one on the right. There is a HUGE different in color between the original Tangie MAM released in 2008 and the one I got at the SS. Personally, I prefer the older Tangie color. The new Tangie's leather is differently (more of a flat orange and is the same type of leather as Lapis). I also have the Burnt Orange MAC and mine does have some brown undertones to it. It truly looks Burnt Orange. Perhaps our bags are not "Tangie" but "Orange" and RM made them for sample sales like she did with the original FIG and Amazon Green. . .

The first picture is tangerine and the second is "orange." Thanks for all the great info! I would be grateful for any more thoughts on what I should consider in choosing one! :smile:

^ The Tangy MAM I got this year (the newer one) is nothing like Lapis. Lapis is a lamb leather (uniform, smooth and shiny) whereas the Tangy MAM I purchased recently is Cow and is very thick and matte and scrumptous.

Are you sure your Tangy is the same as your Lapis? If so, then you have now found a brand new version of Tangerine. Every other Tangerine I have seen is Cow.

:confused1:

I'd also like to ask you baghaggie- Does your Tangerine MAM have sguare rings on the front and back of the bag or D-Rings?

That is usually a clear indicator or Burnt Orange and Tangerine.

Tangerine has Square Rings

Burnt Orange has D- Rings

(The reason I ask is because you said your tangy mam looks exactly like hers on the right, if it does in fact have D-Rings than I don't know if it really is Tangy after all...)