Talk to me about the East-West Classic Flap

lallybelle

O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
1 - Do/Did you own one?
2 - Do you love it or did you regret and let it go?
3 - How much does it hold?
4 - How funtional do you feel it is? Casual, Dressy, both?
5 - Chains - normally they are the single ajustable with some seasonals being double?

Reading another thread about Chanel possibly discontinueing this size made me a bit more curious about it. Thanks ladies!

I had it, let it go, since it didn't hold as much. It was a seasonal 08 glazed lamb with the bijoux chain and had the 4 loops. It was cute, can be used dressed up or dressed down. And can be used as a clutch as well. But it slouches when filled (and didn't have enough room for essentials), although rigidity depends on the leather. So caviar would be a good buy as it is structured.

If Chanel is discontinuing it, might be a good time to buy and own part of the Chanel handbag legacy. Re sell value could be favorable as well, when items are scarce/dc.

Hope this old action shot helps in your decision

yay049.jpg

Last edited:
1 - Do/Did you own one? I have the red lamb e/w from 2006 (not the fire engine red everyone covets, but the season after...it's a darker red)
2 - Do you love it or did you regret and let it go? I like having it in my closet, I've used it a couple of times during special occasions, but it's too small for daily use and looks awkward as a day bag on my 5'7" frame
3 - How much does it hold? Honestly not much...I need to switch from my full sized wallet to a card holder, it can fit my phone as well, key holder, lip gloss, pen....but doesn't fit my tube of hand lotion
4 - How funtional do you feel it is? Casual, Dressy, both? As I mentioned in #2, it's too awkward for me as a casual bag, so I use it as a dressy bag.

My e/w has a single chain and comes with the strap clasp that can be used to shorten the chain.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I was going to get one a few days ago- but decided not too.... I think it is too small and just not practical for my lifestyle. I think for about the same price you can get a mini, so I would be more inclined to go that way if I needed a small bag. JMO.
Good luck in your decision!

Thanks for the pictures & your opinions ladies. :tpfrox:

So now one came up in a color I really love. I guess now I need to consider if I go for it knowing that due to size it will be a more "once in a while" bag not an everyday bag or pass it by & hope to find the big sister.

1 - Do/Did you own one?
Yes, for about 3 days before I decided to return it for the m/l as this was to be my first Chanel purchase, and I wanted my first to be the most classic.

I did like the size unlike most of the others who responded here in that its length made it easier to fit a long wallet (like the LV Sarah). I also thought its length made it aesthetically different enough from the m/l to be unique but not weird. Still classic Chanel, just with a slight twist. I also liked how you could adjust the chain lengths and even make it a clutch as well. If I could have purchased multiple at once, I would have kept the e/w.

I think it can hold as much as a m/l, especially if you consider the whole double flap situation. You just end up organizing things differently as what you lose in height you gain in width.

Like almost any classic flap, I think it can be both. But I think it looks best in lambskin as a dressy purse.

1 - Do/Did you own one?
Yes, bought it in April in Paris.

Love it! In fact, I love it much more than my medium which I also bought on the same trip to Paris. I use the E/W flap much more than my medium. I even bring it overseas with me as it's not as flashly as the medium flap.

It holds as much stuff as the medium flap and in fact, it's much easier to put/retrieve things out of the e/w than the medium.
Usually I have a small wallet, lipstick, compact powder and keys and a small pair of sunglasses.
On holidays, I can fit 2 passports, a small wallet and smallish maps in it.

Defintely both. I've use the e/w flap for dinners and also worn it casually with sundresses and even bermudas & tees.

5 - Chains - normally they are the single ajustable with some seasonals being double?Single adjustable as mine is the classic flap.

There are actually quite a few e/w here (including the famed red '05 and '06 purple). They are lightweight and thus easy to carry; hold as much as the medium classic; day and/or evening appropriate.

The older version doesn't have a back pocket but has the single adjustable chain.

Heres's my contribution:

1 - Do/Did you own one? yes, I have a beige east/west in ghw

2 - Do you love it or did you regret and let it go? I like it better than my med flap.

3 - How much does it hold? It holds same or slightly more than my med flap. It can hold a small Prada wallet or Balenciaga coin purse, lipgloss, iPhone and some keys.

4 - How funtional do you feel it is? Casual, Dressy, both? It can be dressed up or down. I use it mainly for both casual or formal dinners. I can use the clasp to adjust the chain such that I can carry like Kelly style.

5 - Chains - normally they are the single ajustable with some seasonals being double? mine is the single adjustable, comes with a clasp to adjust the length.

I am considering this and Medium was never my choice (with the inner flap hindrance) but E/W con would be the single strap which since I already got a Mini Flap for messenger, I figure this would be a good companion for it.