Talk to me about eggplant...

greenpixie

More please!
O.G.
Dec 1, 2006
So after my recent sea green MAM arrival, I think I am hooked!
I have been doing a lot of browsing, and I am liking the eggplant I have seen, as I want a berry-colored purply bag for fall. The pictures I have found all seem to vary pretty widely on the actual color, though, so maybe you ladies can help me.

I was eyeing this one on evilbay last week but did not get it

and it looks quite a bit lighter than this one that is up right now:

Also, I am wondering about the handles - I know earlier ones were unfinished compared to the current bags. Anyone with an eggplant MA/MAM care to chime in about handles? Good/bad? Is the drop much shorter that the current MAM w/ the new hardware? I can fit my sea green MAM over my shoulder okay, but much shorter and I may not be able to. Will they stretch?

Pics and/or feedback is much appreciated! :ty:

My first RM bag was an eggplant mam. I couldn't fit it on my shoulder but I can fit my current mam's on my shoulder. I liked the color but didn't like the leather. It's pretty stiff and structured and I like softer leathers that smoosh and puddle. The handles seemed a little wobbly (is that a word? LOL) and more flimsy than my current bags but I never had any issues with them. I actually got quite a few compliments on the bag the little bit that I did carry it, second only to my fuchsia matinee. And the second picture seems a little dark for eggplant, it's more purpley/reddish but not so dark. I don't think the handles would stretch either since the leather is stiff but I never did try it personally. My handles have stretched on my yellow mam but it is a different leather entirely and I worry less about the handles on the yellow resort bags.

I have an eggplant MAM, and I love it. The color is amazing. I saw it on another girl first and I was just like, WOW I HAVE TO HAVE THAT! It's closer to the first picture than the second, but it's not as bright as the first. The leather is stiffer, but that to me is not a negative, it's just a characteristic of the bag.

As for handles, my handles are holding up fine, but people with older bags do have issues sometimes, so you could get one that has, or will develop, problems. The handles aren't shorter than the new bags, it's just that the rings connecting the handles to the bag are smaller on the older bags than they are on the newer bags. Mine kind of fits over my shoulder, but I have skinny shoulders.

No worries about the color issue on ebay right now. I would maybe ask the seller for some other photos if you are really interested. GL!

I like this color, too -- have you considered trying to get a berry MAM (a bit tougher to find, but in the same color family and maybe you might like the leather better). I would also suggest checking out the thread that ivysun started a few weeks ago on matching leather colors and textures. I think it's pretty helpful myself!

I had an eggplant MA. The color was *gorgeous*, one of the best RM colors I have ever seen. However the eggplant leather was too stiff for me. With great regret I finally sold it. But, if you like a bag that's a little more stiff and structured it's a fabulous neutral color with a lot of depth.

i do not think the color is as bright as the first pic but not as dark as the 2nd. it's somewhere in between.

also, the eggplant leather is glazed so it has a smell that people have likened to oil paint.

Last edited:
i do not think the color is as bright as the first pic but not as dark as the 2nd. it's somewhere in between.

also, the eggplant leather is glazed so it has a smell that people have likened to oil paint.
I don't think the smell was a problem with the older generation of RM. The first auction was mine-- the pictures were pretty accurate, I think that one with the green background was taken with flash. Not as dark as the other one.

I loved the eggplant, it is a very subtle, vintage-looking color. I only sold mine to raise $$ for some new bags I wanted. It was a bit too snug on my shoulder as are all the old hw MAM's, which is one other reason I sold it. For a thinner or more petite person this may not be a problem. The new hw MAM's have more of a handle drop, so for me they work better. But they don't have quite the same cool vintage look.