Taking the plunge - my first bag

Two Shuuz

Feb 4, 2009
Hi all, I am new to the forum and am here because I am ready to make my investment in my first real bag -- and I was hoping you had suggestions. I am looking to spend $1,000 - $1,500 and want something classic, that will last me for years. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

*In before the Speedy*

It depends on your personal style! Are you more of a hobo/messenger bag person or do you like handheld bags? Do you need a lot of room or would a medium to small sized bag be enough? Do you have a specific color in mind? :smile:

I want to use it for work as well, so either a shoulder or a handled bag -- a hobo might be too casual. I probably will start with black to be on the safe side. A medium bag would be great -- not small, though.

Thank you!

Hhhm, the first bag that came to my mind is the Epi Passy by Louis Vuitton (don't know about the price though). It is a very classy bag in my opinion, it comes in two sizes, one is handheld as far as I know and the other one has longer handles so you could maybe wear it as a shoulder bag. It comes in different colors and I already had Epi-leather bags for more than a year now and they look like brand new!

Oh and:

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Welcome!

Such fun to pick a bag! With your budget, you really have a lot of choices. My favorite bag is much lower in price, but I will share it anyway...you could get 2! Ignes Ormala is my work bag and is great as a purse too. With Ignes, you can select the leathers, the lining, change the drop, and modify to fit you and be most comfortable. I came here to tPF looking for a special work bag and found www.ignesbags.com and the subforum and now have Ignes bags 5 and 6 arriving early next week. (Ack! that's a lotta Ignes.)

Have a blast in your search!!

Any thoughts to the shape of the bag? I would suggest the YSL Muse either in the Oversize or the Large, both of which would fit over the shoulder, on the crook of your arm or handheld. The shape is pretty classic and timeless IMO and depending on the leather and the size it fits your budget.

attachment.php

Pic taken from the http://forum.purseblog.com/ysl-reference-library/post-pics-of-ysl-muse-bags-here-368709.html thread, where you can see more muses in different colors and sizes.

For that price, you can forget about a Birkin :supacool:
:bagslap: is no way to welcome someone to the forum.

IN that price range you have a lot to choose from. ALso look into brands like LOEWE and LANCEL. Have you thought about getting something of a sale? In that way even more will fit into your budget. Lots of sales are still on around here at least.

Liberté;9627218 said:
:bagslap: is no way to welcome someone to the forum.

IN that price range you have a lot to choose from. ALso look into brands like LOEWE and LANCEL. Have you thought about getting something of a sale? In that way even more will fit into your budget. Lots of sales are still on around here at least.

OUCH!!:shrugs:

the YSL muse is a wonderful bag, its ageless and timeless and very versatile, especially in black. In the larger size it fits easily over your shoulder and it still looks good held over your arm. I think that would be a wonderful place to look. Prada also makes some gorgeous classic bags in black leather that are great to change from work to everyday. Balenciaga also has a great range of sizes of bags in your price range, and they last a very long time. I agree about the LV Epi leather, LV lasts forever, and you can't go wrong with it! Plus now you can choose from Damier, Monogram, Denim, and sooo many more choices. I think a classic LV bag would be great. Or the YSL muse.

sorry for suuuuuch a long reply!! the first bag is always the most exciting, you will remember it. i'd say go larger in size rather than smaller if you are unsure. you'll find something to fill the extra space

the balenciaga 'work' bag in black with classic hardware is a woooonderful bag to look at too...