Super annoyed with my seller and Fedex...

I can understand where your frustration comes from, especially when you're super excited to receive your purchase. Even so, I wouldn't mention any of this in the feedback (even if you're going to give the seller a good rating).
If you are happy with your purchase, but not with the shipping method, why don't you send your seller a message expressing your feelings on this matter?
This way you can sort of "release" your frustration and at the same time help your seller to take note where he fell short (this is if he indeed did buy the signature confirmation). This might urge him to mention a (possible) signature requirement in his future listings.

Thanks, I've done so. Hopefully he'll take note.

I would be annoyed if signature confirmation wasn't specified in the listing. This is important to many buyers. If they know it is required, they might change the delivery address to their work instead of their home. I've had buyers angry with me because I forgot to specify it in the listing, and I totally understand why. It's not so bad if it is USPS because you can always sign the card and leave it in your box for redelivery, but some other services won't let you do this, so you absolutely have to be there when the package is delivered.

One time a seller shipped a $15 item to me with signature confirmation.

I don't think I would ever give a seller a negative in this situation but I might ding the shipping stars.

Was that just the 1st attempt? If yes then you got 2 more tries before the package will be held at a FedEx center. I don't have a FedEx door tag in front of me right now but there's an option that the driver can check where a direct signature is absolutely required (no waiving or signing on door tag). Can't remember the exact wording but something similar to this. As long as this option is NOT checked off by your driver, signing the back of door tag should work. Do you know your driver well? Our area driver is super nice and will actually re-attempt delivery for a second time (on the same day) if he didn't get me during the 1st time. Sounds like you may not always be home. May be try asking your driver next time if this is something he will do. Again, this is not normal. I suspect it's just that I have a very nice driver (UPS though. My FedEx drivers are difficult to deal with lol).
Angie, this is fantastic - you have an amazing FedEx driver! And you're correct, if the door tag specifies "direct signature", then someone from that delivery address needs to sign in person. Otherwise, there should be a space on the door tag to sign and leave for the driver.

Reactions: circa1825
BTW, tomorrow will be 9 days since my order was shipped and I paid $24.09 for that "service".....for a $79 handbag.
I agree that it's not the sellers fault when a delivery goes awry/takes longer than expected. I do blame a seller when they don't disclose details that severely impact the ability to deliver the package such as "signature confirmation is required". That should be disclosed upfront so the buyer knows what they're getting into. It's a game changer for many buyers as it's simply too inconvenient for them to be available. Of course it depends on the product and how far they're willing to go to get that item.
Bottom line? It should be disclosed upfront in my opinion to give the buyer the choice of whether or not that delivery system works for them.
Before leaving to pick your daughter up, you could easily leave a note to the fedex driver with an instruction where to leave the package and sign it. Every time when I receive something that requires my signature and I know that I won't be able to be home for a delivery, I just change delivery address to the nearest UPS/FEDEX location.

I know that it's inconvenient for us buyers sometimes but at the same time I think we have to be thankful that some sellers take extra security steps for us to receive an item safely.

I hope when you receive the bag you will forget about this headache

I would be annoyed if signature confirmation wasn't specified in the listing. This is important to many buyers. If they know it is required, they might change the delivery address to their work instead of their home. I've had buyers angry with me because I forgot to specify it in the listing, and I totally understand why. It's not so bad if it is USPS because you can always sign the card and leave it in your box for redelivery, but some other services won't let you do this, so you absolutely have to be there when the package is delivered.

One time a seller shipped a $15 item to me with signature confirmation.

I don't think I would ever give a seller a negative in this situation but I might ding the shipping stars.

Yes, thank you for understanding. My thought is to give future buyers of his a heads up as to his shipping method so that they're prepared to deal with SC because not everyone wants to hassle with that. If the bag is nice then my FB will certainly reflect that, fair is fair.

It is 1000% true. I am not talking about legality or recompense. I am talking about a buyer whose package is stolen. It will rebound on the seller in terms of blame and inevitably feedback.
You're now backtracking. You were talking about legality or recompense as you put it when I quoted you. You explicitly said you'd be out of the $79 or the item.

Yes, thank you for understanding. My thought is to give future buyers of his a heads up as to his shipping method so that they're prepared to deal with SC because not everyone wants to hassle with that. If the bag is nice then my FB will certainly reflect that, fair is fair.

I would reach out to the seller privately to share your thoughts about his shipping method.
Hopefully the bag will arrive & you will be pleased that should be reflected in your feedback
It is your call really if you want to mention the shipping method in your feedback.. You are not wrong for wanting
other prospective buyers to know this before making a purchase. It may or may not make a difference
for buyers

I wouldn't mention it in the feedback and I wouldn't ding the stars. Sellers who request signature confirmation when they don't need it probably think they are adding value to the transaction not the other way around. It does add to the shipping cost. They probably think the security that comes with signature trumps the possible inconvenience. IMO mentioning this as a criticism in the feedback would reflect more negatively on the person who left it that the person who received it.

I would reach out to the seller privately to share your thoughts about his shipping method.
Hopefully the bag will arrive & you will be pleased that should be reflected in your feedback
It is your call really if you want to mention the shipping method in your feedback.. You are not wrong for wanting
other prospective buyers to know this before making a purchase. It may or may not make a difference
for buyers

Thx, I've let him know.

I wouldn't mention it in the feedback and I wouldn't ding the stars. Sellers who request signature confirmation when they don't need it probably think they are adding value to the transaction not the other way around. It does add to the shipping cost. They probably think the security that comes with signature trumps the possible inconvenience. IMO mentioning this as a criticism in the feedback would reflect more negatively on the person who left it that the person who received it.

Actually in checking out his other sold orders he does NOT typically send items Fedex. When I emailed him he said that because of his work schedule it's easier for him to ship Fedex rather than any other method. He has sold more expensive items than this handbag yet just used USPS for shipping. And these are recent sales too.
I feel I'm more than justified to be unhappy about him not disclosing requiring a signature confirmation on this package and if I were a potential customer of his I'd want a heads up so if I purchased and saw it was shipping Fedex I could have a choice on whether to go ahead or not with the purchase.

I understand your comment on seller's thinking they are adding value by using SC, however it's courteous to let your customers know beforehand, not after shipping it out.

Actually in checking out his other sold orders he does NOT typically send items Fedex. When I emailed him he said that because of his work schedule it's easier for him to ship Fedex rather than any other method. He has sold more expensive items than this handbag yet just used USPS for shipping. And these are recent sales too.
I feel I'm more than justified to be unhappy about him not disclosing requiring a signature confirmation on this package and if I were a potential customer of his I'd want a heads up so if I purchased and saw it was shipping Fedex I could have a choice on whether to go ahead or not with the purchase.

I understand your comment on seller's thinking they are adding value by using SC, however it's courteous to let your customers know beforehand, not after shipping it out.
What did it say in the shipping description? The seller isn't supposed to change carriers without notifying you, even if it is an upgrade.

What did it say in the shipping description? The seller isn't supposed to change carriers without notifying you, even if it is an upgrade.

His shipping stated 'Standard Shipping' so I clicked on that because I thought his price was high. It said it would be delivered Fedex so fine but nowhere was it disclosed that it was going to be SC. It just baffles me at this point why he would choose this particular package to ship in this manner and to require SC since that's not his usual mode of shipping.
Oh well, nothing I can do about it at this point.

Sorry for what you're going through, nothing is more frustrating than waiting for a package and then just missing it...been there. As an eBayer, this person definitely should have disclosed signature confirmation in the listing or at least after updating the tracking info. I'm guessing if he's used to shipping USPS, then he forgot about his FedEx extras he's paying for. Hope it arrives soon and in awesome condition!

Regarding feedback, you could just write, watch out for sig. required shipping, but leave it Positive.

Actually, I too checked his other sold items and every one of his 14 sold listings use Fedex. (And that includes small jewelry items.) NONE use USPS.

Thank you for your 'Ninja' skills!

She is amazing, isn't she? Thank goodness she's always here to offer her valuable advice.
ilczV5C6ptrgdpGfFMag2qTic5rc3FucZCCUqVO0H2EaZJwpRjmru9Qftx9areRv33gJEGY9XHcKmjfC1kolBUUfdUJb7G8b5eh-hK1c=s0-d-e1-ft

With that being said, I certainly wouldn't complain about an inflated shipping charge of $24.09. As a long-term buyer, you saw the shipping costs prior to placing your bid and by placing said bid, agreed to those charges.

I'm a long-time buyer/seller myself and I've received a lot of packages that had SC on them that didn't meet that magical $750 threshold for SC. (I'd say close to 50% of my packages) SC also wasn't mentioned in the listings and they were mostly relatively new sellers. In my opinion, you really can't fault a new seller for wanting to protect themselves.

As for FB, I certainly wouldn't fault a seller for shipping an item to me just because they chose to use SC. I've checked eBay's policies and found nothing stating that a shipper had to alert a buyer that they are using SC. Be forewarned that if you chose to give positive FB with a negative comment regarding shipping (soft positive) you will get a ding on your account as this is not allowed and against eBay policy. (One of the responses suggested doing this)

On a side note, I only use SC for purchases that are $750+ adhering to eBay/PP policy however; I have noticed within the past year that nearly all of the packages that I insure only (No SC) are sent out aren't being delivered without SC. I called the USPS as well as Consumer Affairs to inquire about this and was told this was due to the USPS having to pay out too many claims they're being told to get a signature on file for anything insured that's over $200. If you haven't experienced this yet, you will. I do realize that you're referring to FedEx but you may find this happening frequently in the future with USPS packages as well in regard to SC since you're a frequent shopper.

I hope this information helps. While I understand SC may be a hassle for some, the topic seems so trivial to me at the moment with having a sick elderly mother who I'm losing, not to mention being awake the entire night at the emergency vet with my 5 year old dog who tore her ACL and from what I'm told has an aggressive form of arthritis in her hips, knees and back that I'll also be losing soon.

If you still have parents, a spouse, significant other, children, pets, etc. that you love and are healthy, go home and give them a hug. There are more pressing issues out there than worrying about a newbie seller protecting themselves by paying for SC.

Good luck.
cleardot.gif