Suggestions for black handbag for work/casual - $2k or less budget

emchhardy

O.G.
Feb 12, 2013
I'm wanting a structured, classic black handbag for work. However, it will also be used for casual use so I need it to be a real workhorse. Does anyone have any suggestions within my price point? My budget is $2k or less. I would prefer designer if the quality is there but I'm also open to contemporary brands. I don't want anything too large (no bulky totes or slouchy hobo bags). It needs to be ladylike with simple, clean lines, not too much branding. Thank you!

Reactions: BreakfastCake
Are you thinking of putting a laptop or tablet in your bag when you use it for work?
If so, it's a little difficult to not have a tote or some type of messenger bag.

Since you said not too big or bulky, what do you usually carry on a daily basis?
(It'll help us get a better idea of the size.)

Reactions: 880 and Amazona
Are you thinking of putting a laptop or tablet in your bag when you use it for work?
If so, it's a little difficult to not have a tote or some type of messenger bag.

Since you said not too big or bulky, what do you usually carry on a daily basis?
(It'll help us get a better idea of the size.)
No, I won't be putting a laptop or tablet in the bag. I hope that helps narrow it a little. I just want something structured, timeless, and ladylike yet very good quality so I won't have to replace it in a few years. I usually carry a set of keys, large wallet, work badge, a coin purse, and lip gloss.

Structured, timeless, ladylike, casual. . .arent attributes that I generally group together.
For interesting high quality, there are big brands (Cartier, Ferragamo, Celine) that might offer possibilities. I think Cartier bags seem very well made at a lesser price point than premier bag brands.

These examples below are probably smaller than you would like, but an easy search could yield more. One extra minute gave me a cute bag by lanvin and reminded me of valextra, both brands which might be worth an exploration.

For relaxed bags, the field is almost limitless, like Polene, but I would not rule out small shops like Suarez ny. However, their website gives zero indication of their range.

ETA: my personal favorite is a bit more than 2K, but it holds more than the typical mini bag. it is one of my favorite bags of all time

Last edited:
I got the Cafune Stance bag and I love it for work. It’s $600 with the 10% off email discount. You can also get it in different sizes. I’m adding a pic from my IG stories. I have the largest size but you can get the medium if you want something smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_9366.jpeg
    IMG_9366.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: emchhardy
Longchamp lepliage tote, it’s stylish, practical and fits a ton of things, I have XS energy bag and I’m in love with it. It fits the unimaginable. It’s crazy spacious for a mini bag so imagine the medium tote.

Plus it’s care free if it gets dirty it’s easy to clean.
Get the small energy since the canvas is slightly thicker so it’s safer for heavier stuff you get in it.

Get the energy tote.

Maybe the Mulberry Alexa. I think it matches all your needs. The mini size is already a good size for work, but they also have larger versions of the bag if you need to carry more items.