Stupid and insulting question??

Feb 1, 2007
I was searching ebay and came across a nice looking vintage diamond ring at no reserve, starting at $1. It is stamped 18k P so I didn't questioned that it was a fake gold but I was wondering if the diamonds were real since it was not from his/her personal collection (he/she purchased it from estate sell)

Even though the description states "diamonds were F TO G IN COLOR VVS-1 DIAMONDS." I emailed the seller and asked if the diamonds have been tested to see if its real diamonds.

The seller replied back saying I quote "That is a stupid question ,Please dont bid I my stuff and insulting.Thanks" :wtf:

Was that a stupid and insulting question?? :confused1:

I didn't mean to insult anyone, was making sure since he/she was not the original buyer. Was I wrong??

In a world where diamonds are czs, czs are rhinestones or "crystals," and rhinestones or "crystals" are little unfaceted blobs of transparent plastic, I don't think it was a stupid or insulting question at all.

However, I am beyond biased. I am a former eBay user.

And even before assuming that formerhood, I took every opportunity to recommend that people use eBay to purchase inexpensive items, and in the case of costly articles such as gemstones or high-priced handbags, that they award their custom to established and reputable retailers, licensed and authorized, in the case of the handbags, and frankly, for something like gemstones, I would apply the cashmere principle, which means in person, look, touch, wiggle it in the light, look at it with a loupe, take along a friend who knows what to look for when she looks at it with a loupe...

Thank you ladies. After reading his replied message I was just shocked.

I replied him and wrote "I didn't mean to insult anyone. I wanted to make sure since the item was vintage and b/c you are not the original buyer but got the item from estate sale"

I do think he has a serious temper or is very sensitive.

Your question was by no means insulting, however, his reply certainly was. I refuse to buy from rude sellers.

Be careful with ebay jewelry one tpfer bought a vintage ring for $1000+ and it turned out to worth a mere fraction of that.
If you do buy something expensive pay with your CC and take it to a jeweler to make sure the stones are genuine.

Not the least insulting and politely asked - you did nothing wrong and I guess it is probably a blessing in disguise that the seller revealed something of his character in his decidedly tetchy and rude response?

I don't think that your questions was stupid or insulting. I truly believe no question is a stupid question. As a buyer, it is in your best interest to ask questions. I'm sorry that you had to deal with such a rude and thoughtless seller.

Your questions weren't absolutely not stupid:but this seller is!
It's really upsetting,sometimes I read"don't ask me about authenticity":???It's a right!I never feel angry when a potential buyer is frightened,it's normal,there are so much awfull people on Ebay!
You know what:it's finally a good thing,this buyer can keep her(his) ring!:blah:

I agree. I've dealt with rude sellers on quite a few occasions. Everytime I get a rude email, I immediately pass on the auction.

You wouldn't expect rude service while shopping and eBay is no different!