Starting Makeup Collection. Suggestions?

amourjuicy!

Aug 10, 2009
Hi everyone! I hope a thread hasn't been posted like this before...I used the search bar and couldn't find anything. I'm a 14 (almost 15) year old girl, and i just recently started to become really interested in makeup. I was mainly looking at MAC makeup right now, but any other suggestions would be great!

I have no clue where to start with eyeshadows. what are some good basic colors I should own? (MAC colors would be helpful here:smile:)

I also know for certain that I'm ordering MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation and MAC Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural.

Also, any other essentials you think that should be in anyone's makeup collection. Thank you! :biggrin:

Hi, the best look is probably a natural one to start with.

Can you go to a make counter and try on a few colors? if not just pick a few basic ones to start. You could pick an off white like (in Mac it is vanilla)or a light pink - can't remember the color name and use it all over.

One thing I heard that is popular lately is to use a darker shadow as a liner for upper and lower eye lids with just a neutral color like the pink or vanilla all over for day time. You could add a crease color for evening looks. Possibly a soft gray or mauve.

Go to the drugstore or target and pick up a few inexpensive shadows - doesn't matter what line - and see how those types of colors work at home. You can always get similar more expensive Mac shadows when you have an idea of what you like.

Other essentials
a soft blush that can be used no matter what color make up you wear.

Natural or soft color lipstick for day, darker can be used for night

Mascara (Maybelline has some good inexpensive ones - not everything needs to be from MAC or expensive).

A brush set - SONIA KASHUK makes a very good inexpensive kit you can get at target.

The most important item is sunscreen either in your moisturizer, foundation or both.

Make up remover. There are wipes you can buy from Olay and Ponds. There are also many others you can try that are inexpensive. Just trial and error to find the type of remover you like. I actually like the Olay wipes. I also like the Maybelleine eye make up remover. Remember expensive doesn't mean it is better. In fact the dermatologist told me that basically all moisturizing creams are the same no matter what you pay. Just need to try some to find what you like best for your skin type.

One thing to be aware of is that not every suggestion at the make up counter will work for you. If you don't like the look a cosmetics person helps you with you are not obligated to buy from them. It has to be a look you are comfortable with. Let us know how this works out.

Hope this helped.

since you're just starting out, I'd recommend neutral eyeshadows, some of my personal favourites are:
satin taupe
vanilla
copperplate
carbon
shroom
expresso
cork
mulch
^those are all MAC shadows
MAC also makes really great blushes as well. i'm really pale and some of my favourite blushes are dainty mineralize blush, pinch o peach, and peaches
and I definitely agree with what the above poster said, my favourite mascara is loreal voluminous which is a drugstore brand

since you're just starting out, I'd recommend neutral eyeshadows, some of my personal favourites are:
satin taupe
vanilla
copperplate
carbon
shroom
expresso
cork
mulch
^those are all MAC shadows
MAC also makes really great blushes as well. i'm really pale and some of my favourite blushes are dainty mineralize blush, pinch o peach, and peaches
and I definitely agree with what the above poster said, my favourite mascara is loreal voluminous which is a drugstore brand

second all of these, and add:

Go
Soba
Woodwinked
Honey Lust
Crystal avalanche
Rice paper
Grand Entrance (LE Starflash collection, has just been re-released)
Smoke and Diamonds (LE Starflash collection, has just been re-released)
Club (duochome, very versatile, can be a dark brown or a teal, depending on how you apply it)

and get a paint pot for sure to serve as a base. Start with something neutral... painterly or bare study (my favorite).

I agree with all of the MAC eye shadow recs above and also wanted to add Naked Lunch... it is another beautiful neutral... for a neutral lip glass I recommend Queen Bee from the Naked Honey Collection. Love it!