Square mini or Saint Laurent

kej4hj

Apr 30, 2018
Hi, I am about to purchase my first ever designer handbag and have my eyes on the square mini (quilted) black lambskin with any colour hardware and the Saint Laurent small kate bag in textured calfskin leather. I can't decide between the two as they are equally stunning to me (although my heart tells me to save and wait for a square mini to come in stock in Sydney, but I am worried about the delicateness of lambskin). Saint Laurent is more accessible for me and retails for $2260 here whereas the chanel retails for $3820. Any advice appreciated (wear and tear, value etc.) :smile:

3.-Chanel-Square-Mini.png saint-laurent-black-Small-Kate-Grain-De-Poudre-Chain-Bag-In-Black.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you planning to wear it crossbody? Because the square mini has a shorter chain drop (20”) so it’s hard to crossbody unless you are of very slight build or have shorter torso. (The rectangular mini is much easier to wear crossbody with a 22.5” drop.)

Otherwise, style-wise I prefer the Chanel square mini over YSL.

Reactions: Kendie26
Chanel over YSL for sure. It will last the test of time. Its versatile: chic and casual.

As for lambskin, there is a tradeoff. And its sth you hv to just accept.... if it were the caviar leather, i would still vote Chanel over YSL.

The YSL will go on sale. Every year they have a 30% to 40% sale. For me, i'd wait for the sale if i had my heart set on it.

But at the end you should get what you love. Imagine spending 2200 then thinking about the chanel and spending another 3800 -- i'd rather just wait.