Speedy Defects or Things to be on the Watch for

Kirkland

Jan 25, 2016
I am thinking about buying a speedy monogram purse for someone who is graduating from grad school.

What are some of the defects that I should watch for when buying it.

Anything that I should expect with wear and tear? Any structural "weaknesses" were the bag is prone to some wear and tear?

I would check the handles for wrinkles and find one that is smooth. Also check that the piping is as straight as possible, same with the zipper.

On a speedy b check the leather on the sides and the strap for wrinkles.
That’s all I can think about, happy shopping!
I don't understand the term piping. I read it all the time on this forum.

Is it the individual strands of plastic on the canvas?

I am thinking about buying a speedy monogram purse for someone who is graduating from grad school.

What are some of the defects that I should watch for when buying it.

Anything that I should expect with wear and tear?
Are you talking about buying new from the LV boutique? Or do you mean buying preowned? Defects and wear and tear aren't what you should expect from a new bag.

Reactions: snibor
I don't understand the term piping. I read it all the time on this forum.

Is it the individual strands of plastic on the canvas?
Like shishkabob said, it’s the leather trim all around the bag and what gives it its shape. Sometimes the piping is twisted or crooked and it gives the bag a weird shape.
Look at a couple and you’ll see some Speedys look better than others, jme.

Reactions: KAMIKO and Kirkland
buying new.

defects shouldn't be present on new bags, but it is the norm/not uncommon today.
Defects are far from the norm, and Speedy bags aren't known for this. But wear and tear is from...wear, obviously, which you won't see on a new bag.
Speedy bags are famously hardy bags, although post-purchase, vachetta on Monogram is something that obviously is more "tender" maintenance wise compared to Damier Ebene leather.

In store, just check the bag out as best you can. I assume you know it comes folded, so expect that.

That’s such a nice gift! I would mostly look to make sure the leather parts aren’t wrinkly. You didn’t mention if it was the bandolier version with the strap- sometimes the side trim is extremely wrinkly or the strap has issues. :sad: Also, check the brass pieces for tarnish/marks. Slight marks shouldn’t be an issue. Definitely ask for a new lock and keys if they look bad. The canvas might have creases but that’s normal. Also- ask for the large drawstring dust bag- not the one where you have to fold your bag flat and store it!

That’s such a nice gift! I would mostly look to make sure the leather parts aren’t wrinkly. You didn’t mention if it was the bandolier version with the strap- sometimes the side trim is extremely wrinkly or the strap has issues. :sad: Also, check the brass pieces for tarnish/marks. Slight marks shouldn’t be an issue. Definitely ask for a new lock and keys if they look bad. The canvas might have creases but that’s normal. Also- ask for the large drawstring dust bag- not the one where you have to fold your bag flat and store it!

Oh! I didn’t know there was a drawstring dust bag option? I’ve always loved Coach’s dust bags because they have the drawstring and they’re so silky. But both of my LVs came with dustbags that are kind of like an “envelope” I guess. They have a flap at the top that folds over. I don’t need to fold my bags to fit them in their dustbags, but the dustbags definitely would be easier to use if they had drawstrings. Good to know!

And agreed that this is a great gift! :heart: