Sorrento Small Satchel vs Florentine small satchel

may be like glove leather,
may seem lux, but it may not be well suited to handbag use in terms of
durability or function.
I have the vintage backpack from DB glove leather collection, and that bag is so thick. The leather feels so durable, and really just needs to be conditioned. I wish they would have kept up with this collection, to be honest.

Dooney original All Weather Leather
was pebbled. But they achieved the texture by shrinking the leather.
The result was a very thick and heavy piece of leather. A very durable
leather.
I liked how DB was very open about this process of achieving their trademark AWL. I do wonder how the AWL 3.0 compares to the old school AWL.

That leather can be thick (as in the Dillion collection)
Thanks for this info. I don't have any bags from this collection, but see them all over Goodwill. I'll have to grab one.

But it's not heavily coated and doesn't feel plasticy like some coated canvas
or saffiano.
Over the summer, I purchased a DB off TU for a phenomenal price. It said leather - technically it wasn't wrong... I had no clue about the saffiano line at the time. When I got it, it straight up felt like vinyl to me. Also, it had a lot of scratches over the surface bag. And the bag color was blue, so a lot of the blemishes showed up. It looked like a chalk-board (if that makes sense). Luckily, they let me return the bag. But now I avoid those lines with the coating, like Gretta / Saffiano.

I have the vintage backpack from DB glove leather collection, and that bag is so thick. The leather feels so durable, and really just needs to be conditioned. I wish they would have kept up with this collection, to be honest.

I liked how DB was very open about this process of achieving their trademark AWL. I do wonder how the AWL 3.0 compares to the old school AWL.

Thanks for this info. I don't have any bags from this collection, but see them all over Goodwill. I'll have to grab one.

Over the summer, I purchased a DB off TU for a phenomenal price. It said leather - technically it wasn't wrong... I had no clue about the saffiano line at the time. When I got it, it straight up felt like vinyl to me. Also, it had a lot of scratches over the surface bag. And the bag color was blue, so a lot of the blemishes showed up. It looked like a chalk-board (if that makes sense). Luckily, they let me return the bag. But now I avoid those lines with the coating, like Gretta / Saffiano.
Glad you were able to return that bag. Saffiano is usually very scratch resistant, so I wonder what the original owner put the bag thru. I'm not saying it can't be scratched,
but just that it's a pretty durable leather because ofthe coating. And yes, it's leather,
but it's an acquired taste.

Dooney saffiano bags tend to be wear and water resistant and
the leather is lighter than many of the other leathers. It has it's appeal for these
reasons and also the texture is interesting. Personally, I prefer a more natural leather,
one that is not coated. I don't care for patent leather either, even tho it's beautiful
to look at. I like to touch my leather and enjoy the feel as part of the experience
of owing good leather.

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
Satchel is on sale today.

Reviews are mixed. Seems to be a heavy bag. I wonder how the leather on these are. The descriptions on this collection have varied; it's water repellant to soaking it can cause it to blister.

Satchel is on sale today.

Reviews are mixed. Seems to be a heavy bag. I wonder how the leather on these are. The descriptions on this collection have varied; it's water repellant to soaking it can cause it to blister.

Kitty: I saw the caution against soaking the bag, but not the note on blistering.
i think they are different things.... soaking can affect not just the leather surface,
but also the construction of the bag. There can be structural elements between
the lining and the leather, and also glues used to secure trim. Older bags might
have used different chemicals/materials that have since been replaced either for
safety, functionality, weight, availability, or cost.

Older, preloved vintage unlined bags are often rehabbed by soaking them. And some people just apply this technique to clean up any preowned bag, not realizing that just because it was fine on one bag/brand it might be an issue for other bags. Just my guess.