Songs You Didn't Know Were Covers

Growing up I was a huge NIN fan. Hurt was on thier The Downward Spiral album around '94-'95. I was not pleased when I heard the Johnny Cash cover, but I quickly got over it and now love both.
Covering a song is a huge risk. Not to step on anyones toes but, I think Faith Hill butchered Janice Joplins Piece of my heart.
Some songs are so iconic that no one can recreate them and not sound like a fool.

That's how I feel about Staind when they play 'Sober' by Tool. Aaron Lewis butchered that song and when I hear it, it makes me so mad. But he changed some of the chords and and the lyrics because he didn't want to go through the legalities (I guess thats the right word) and not only that, but Maynard the lead singer of Tool won't allow it. All of Tool's songs have meanings behind them. Deep meanings and I too wouldn't want someone copying my songs.

admat97 - are you talking about Johnny Cash's video? If so, than I've cried watching it before too.

I love Guns N' Roses's cover of the Stones's Sympathy For the Devil.

I also love Nirvana's cover of Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World.

I have both versions of both songs on my ipod.

I can't think of any ones that I don't know off the top of my head, well, except when I was younger I didn't know Lenny Kravitz's cover of American Woman was a cover :rolleyes:.

Anyway, it drives me absolutely nuts when people think that Fall Out Boy's cover of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart isn't a cover, but that they wrote it.

I can't think of any ones that I don't know off the top of my head, well, except when I was younger I didn't know Lenny Kravitz's cover of American Woman was a cover :rolleyes:.

Anyway, it drives me absolutely nuts when people think that Fall Out Boy's cover of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart isn't a cover, but that they wrote it.

I have to totally agree! I didn't like Fall Out Boy's Version of "Love Will Tear Apart"

I didn't care for The Cure's Cover of it either.

I am a Joy Division purist.

"Tainted Love" (Soft Cell; Gloria Jones): There's not a lot to say about "Tainted Love": It remains as much a 1980s cultural touchstone as Bruce Willis's wine cooler commercials. As for the mysterious Gloria Jones gal who recorded it in the mid-'60s, a little research reveals that she's considerably more interesting than her name. Not that we've believed anything on Wikipedia since it told us that Quadrophenia was penned by an especially precocious dolphin, but the site reports that Jones was the girlfriend of and played with glam rocker Marc Bolan of T. Rex fame. Additionally, she was allegedly behind the wheel during the auto accident that killed him. So there you go.

I never knew this. I tought it was a Pussycat dolls original :rolleyes:, just kidding. I also love the Ramones version, yup the Ramones :woohoo: