someone is trying to sue me over $200...ugh

Poor dear. I agree with the others, just do the paypal stuff. I am an attorney, and if I were in your shoes, I would stop communicating with this guy and just let the pay pal stuff run its course.

As for the threat of a lawsuit, suing someone out of state is a PITA, so I totally think he is a bluffer. Oh, and that part about recoving legal fees-- pshaw. I don't know what jd you are in, but that's something a lot more asked for and a lot less awarded where I come from!

Best of luck to you!!

Ignore them; I have had a couple of people threaten this over the years and they always eventually go away. The intent is to scare you. Often they try to do this to get a discount or their money back without going through Paypal because they know they will likely lose so it is better to try to scare you into giving money back upfront. The fees and effort alone to file this in smalls claims court is not even worth it realistically. Once I make them aware I am an attorney and respond about how they have no case they really disappear quick. Let Paypal do its thing and ignore the lawsuit threats until you get a complaint served on you which I doubt will happen.

I hope Paypal can help you work this out.

BiloxiBlu-I agree fees are not likely and I don't believe I implied that either- sorry for confusion (?). As to my jurisdiction, fees can be liberal- people sometimes get them on Motions to Compel re: rogs and production. No joke... it is kind of sad that fees are awarded for some things, but that is a whole 'nother bowl of apples, lol.

Ignore them; I have had a couple of people threaten this over the years and they always eventually go away. The intent is to scare you. Often they try to do this to get a discount or their money back without going through Paypal because they know they will likely lose so it is better to try to scare you into giving money back upfront. The fees and effort alone to file this in smalls claims court is not even worth it realistically. Once I make them aware I am an attorney and respond about how they have no case they really disappear quick. Let Paypal do its thing and ignore the lawsuit threats until you get a complaint served on you which I doubt will happen.

after reading your post I'm tempted to tell him that my husband is an attorney :smile: (not really, but it sounds good)...but that would be stooping to his level, so i suppose I'll just let him be and see what he comes up with next....

Thanks all for your support. I was actually ready to give up yesterday and just drop the PP case to make this special person go away, but I think it's better if I don't get bullied into doing what he wants and hopefully he'll learn something out of all this....

LOL...mine actually is, Madzia, and he burst out laughing when I asked his opinion on an eBay seller in this situation trying to sue for "damages". So you could email that seller and tell him that, :lol:, but really I think hopefully PP will have your back and you'll turn out OK.

after reading your post I'm tempted to tell him that my husband is an attorney :smile: (not really, but it sounds good)...but that would be stooping to his level, so i suppose I'll just let him be and see what he comes up with next....

Thanks all for your support. I was actually ready to give up yesterday and just drop the PP case to make this special person go away, but I think it's better if I don't get bullied into doing what he wants and hopefully he'll learn something out of all this....

You can always tell him that since he's represented, you should be speaking to his attorney directly. Ask for the attorney's contact information, which I doubt he'll actually give you. But if he does, you can check out if the "attorney" is really licensed. Actually, in all honesty, at this point, you shouldn't talk to him at all. I was growing angry for you as I was reading through this thread.

You can always tell him that since he's represented, you should be speaking to his attorney directly. Ask for the attorney's contact information, which I doubt he'll actually give you. But if he does, you can check out if the "attorney" is really licensed. Actually, in all honesty, at this point, you shouldn't talk to him at all. I was growing angry for you as I was reading through this thread.

You're so right!
I'm not responding to any more of this threats. If he decides to contact me again I will ask for his attorney's name and contact info and tell him that from this point on only his lawyer is allowed to contact me :cutesy:

I know this is probably making you sick but---
:popcorn:
I am really interested in following this to see how this jacka$$ winds this up... He really can only take it so far. If he contacts you again ~ I say this is all shatbull - and just reply as planned ~ and personally this is a prime example of why a MAN should not be the listing agent on a purse :bagslap:
Women just see the details better IMO

Good Luck! My prayers are the Paypal gets this resolved for you ASAP!!

This is absolutely correct - his attorney should be dealing with you. Just ask him for the contact details - I'm curious to see what crap he gives as an excuse!

First of all, I'm so sorry this whole situation is happening to you honey!!!

Second...I call TOTAL BULLSH*T on the whole game he's playing. First of all, ebay and PayPal have very clear policies on using their services, and EXACTLY what you are supposed to do if you have a problem with a buyer or seller. You have adhered to those policies. He started out by adhering to them--by escalating to a PayPal claim--but then decided to start saying he's taking you to court when PayPal wouldn't act fast enough for him.

If he was stupid enough to go to court, I'd bet MONEY that the judge would say, "You initiated a claim with PayPal, they're processing the claim, so you both need to go home and wait to see what PayPal decides to do. Case dismissed." No judge is going to waste time on that kind of ********. (Besides which, the PayPal decision would have probably already been made by the time the case even got to court, in which case the judge would dismiss it as no longer an issue.)

Also, in the highly unlikely case that you were actually summoned to court, you could simply print out all of the nasty emails he is sending to you (including the one where he openly stated he was filing court papers just to make your life hell, and would spend $2000 for that) and include them in your response to his summons. I guarantee you, judges get VERY pissed off if they have to waste their time and the county's time and money on vengeful/frivolous lawsuits that are basically filed just because some jackass can't get his way.

Hold out for the PayPal decision, respond to everything he emails with only, "I am currently awaiting the decision of PayPal, as they instructed me to," and keep every crazy thing he sends you as more proof that he's acting unreasonably and threateningly. Best of luck to you; and keep us posted!!!

Good call Titania! This is the best way to stop this guy from harrassing you, OP! :boxing:

You can also be a little devious - sign up at readnotify.com, then send an email directly to the [email protected] address via readnotify. Just say "I am being harassed by someone who claims to be represented by you, please let me know if he is really your client". If the email actually goes to a real mailbox and is read, readnotify will let you know. It will also let you know if the email is forwarded, etc.

o man what a situation i am SO sorry i just happened upon your thread and just read through the whole thing
what a psychO!!!!!!!!

I hope it all works out AOK :sad: i am sorry you have to go through the headache of it though :sad: