Sold £1000 item, Buyer has Unconfirmed Address...should I ship?

Jul 15, 2008
Hi all,
I recently sold an expensive item (£1000) and the buyer who has excellent feedback (nearly 1500) all good, and has just paid by Paypal but the address is unconfirmed. The buyer is in Australia so I know that Paypal cannot confirm addresses there but it's showing on my Paypal that I am ineligible for seller protection.
I always put in my listings "can only ship to confirmed addresses" but appreciate that not all addresses can be confirmed but I am very wary of shipping an £1000 item with no protection at all.
Just wanted to ask you guys what you thought? would you ship to an unconfirmed address?
Also the buyer said that as long as I ship with insurance, tracking and signature I'd be covered but Paypal said no I won't be!
TIA! xxx

My first thought was ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Take a few minutes (or hours!) and read all the horror stories in this thread.

Having said that, what feedback does the buyer have?

And why can't she get her paypal address confirmed?

Yes buyers in australia can't get their address confirmed.
The buyer has great feedback and lots of it (nearly 1500) but on my paypal page it's showing that the transaction is ineligible for seller's protection, which as the item is expensive I'm worried about shipping it with no seller protection. :s
I don't know if it makes any difference but the buyer's shipping address on Paypal is a PO box rather than her actual address.

It's quite common for buyers in Aus to use PO Boxes. If you take out full insurance from your carrier would you need to involve paypal at all, if the worst happened? Wouldn't you just claim from your carrier?

I wasn't aware that AU buyers could not confirm their addresses.
(That's dumb!!!)

If this buyer has over 1500 good feedback, I take back my first comment.

Just make sure you insure and require delivery signature!

I guess if you have a question regarding this transaction, call PP directly and see what they recommend. I agree, $1800 is a lot of money to question whether or not this will be covered JUST IN CASE.

When in doubt, call PP.

Thanks everyone!
I called Paypal and they told me that seller protection wasn't available for the transaction as the address is unconfirmed and then told me to ask the buyer to have their address confirmed (which I told them they can't as they are in Australia!)
If it was a lesser value item then I would have no worries at all in shipping to an unconfirmed address especially with the buyers great feedback, but I still feel nervous about sending such an expensive item knowing that I have no protection with Paypal what so ever.

Last edited:
Why don't you ask them to confirm their address in writing. Second insure the package (since it's expensive anyway). Or have them send you a wire, western union etc payment.

Good luck.

Thank you.
Yes I asked the buyer if it was possible to pay by another means but she said also wants the Paypal protection (even though I've not got any if I go ahead and ship!)
I also asked her to confirm the PO box address which is on Paypal via email to me.

Well I sent a $1300 B bag to Australia insured for $1000 (that is the price point at which Australia doesn't charge customs and she asked me to do that.) All went well, thank goodness. The person was on tPF and had great feedback so I didn't feel too nervous. But everything is so iffy these days. You need to send EXPRESS mail insured and get a tracking number. Really don't like international shipping these days.. I have them blocked them from bidding but if they email me and I get a good feeling about it, I will often unblock.
On second thought maybe this is just too iffy....the person who said sell to 2nd highest bidder is probably right here.

Last edited:
Sounds like this has already become a nightmare BEFORE she has paid. I would just explain to her that you're not comfortable selling to her because of these restrictions. I'm sorry, but that's just too much money to risk for a buyer who is obviously not following the rules of your listing.

EDIT: This is officially 1,000 posts for me!!! Yayyy!!! God, I need a life.