So upset! ebay buyers beware of...

I totally agree. I think people who decide to buy on places like eBay, for instance, should be totally aware that under all circumstances the bag they are buying/bidding on IS NOT NEW. A bag just sitting in someone's closet for 3-4 years is going to show some minor signs of age. You can't be picky when you buy second hand from ANY place. Otherwise, it's best for you to just go to Barney's or wherever and buy a brand new one yourself.
I think you may be misunderstanding my issue here. I have no issue with pre-loved bags. I own several. My issue is with dishonesty.

Oh dear - I wasn't even thinking about the gum/peanut butter comment, lol. If you decide to keep it, please use ice and not peanut butter! As you say, it wasn't a bad price even for pre-owned, so if you like it, maybe try one more time with an offer that you are willing to accept. Otherwise, do as suggested and make sure you get signature confirmation and show ebay the comment about the peanut butter, lol. This seller does sound like a piece or work, though, and it would upset me to have someone respond so rudely.

ETA: It may be a good idea to put the required pictures in the AT thread. We have seen fake P tags a couple of years ago, but I had not seen a fake one in this color. There are not enough pictures in the listing, but the pictures we need to see are in my signature (only if you are thinking of keep it, of course).

I appreciate the offer to authenticate and if I were going to keep it I just might but I'm not. Unless you want them just for purposes of the forum then I'll post before I mail it out today.

I don't do business with deceptive people. I'm not going to bargain with her at this point. She is still sticking to her story, not at all confidence inspiring as a buyer or a seller.

Oh no, I just had a similar situation with a seller last month. And the purchase wasn't small, it was like 2400.
I had to post up photos of the wear and describe every detail of what was not accurate with the item's description to Ebay. Ebay ruled the case in my favor. Make sure you have ebay approve you sending back the item to the seller before you do so. You could also call them during the process to 'help' your case.
I can understand how you feel. It's dishonesty. I had to also deal with the seller being abusive.
Hope all works out for you! :salute:

There is no excuse for the seller's misrepresentation of the bag's condition (new with tags), but fortunately it doesn't seem to be in the 'gum/peanut butter' condition. :smile: So my first priority would be confirming its authenticity.

If the bag is authentic, you may want to have in consideration that you have paid about 1/2 of its original price, which seems a fair price for a pre-owned bal with modest signs of wear and tear IMO. (Tough decision :smile:)

If the seller is not agreeable to provide your requested partial refund, I believe you can return it based on 'Item I received is not as described', following all ebay and expert TPF instructions. Good luck with your decision.:smile:

dillinja65

I'm attaching a listing for a Bal bag in a gorgeous orange color. You can see for yourself she listed the bag as new, never use, sat on the shelf blah blah blah.

This is a pre-loved handbag.

I bought a "great condition", "barely shows any wear or tear" Day and when I received it I was heartbroken to find there was a tear in the back of the leather and that the inner pocket had change, hairties, dirt/lint and gum/candy that had melted into the fabric.

Oh no, I just had a similar situation with a seller last month. And the purchase wasn't small, it was like 2400.
I had to post up photos of the wear and describe every detail of what was not accurate with the item's description to Ebay. Ebay ruled the case in my favor.

Misrepresentation of items by sellers is rampant on ebay. I expect that is why ebay has tilted the playing field to favour the buyer. And rightly so IMO.

There is no excuse for the seller's misrepresentation of the bag's condition (new with tags), but fortunately it doesn't seem to be in the 'gum/peanut butter' condition. :smile: So my first priority would be confirming its authenticity.

If the bag is authentic, you may want to have in consideration that you have paid about 1/2 of its original price, which seems a fair price for a pre-owned bal with modest signs of wear and tear IMO. (Tough decision :smile:)

If the seller is not agreeable to provide your requested partial refund, I believe you can return it based on 'Item I received is not as described', following all ebay and expert TPF instructions. Good luck with your decision.:smile:
It definitely is not in gum/peanut butter condition (still hilarious that someone would even suggest that). If she would have come clean immediately, no matter how lame it sounded, I'd be more amiable to working it out and keeping the bag. I do like it. But she wants it back and that's fine. Besides the obvious wear (which is not excessive at all), she misrepresents the color (which appears to be Tomate, not Orange Brulee and really what do I care, I like THIS color) which leads me to believe there's more to this than there seems to be. A legit, no refunds, authentic goods seller would be more inclined to work out a compromise rather than to jump at getting it back at the first sign of an issue. And I agree with the price for a pre-loved bag. I've payed way more for pre-loved bags! It's the dishonesty, not the condition of the bag itself that is the issue, for me anyway.

If I were the seller I would have first apologized and then asked for some pics of the issue and if it were valid, offered a compromise.

So my point with this thread was just beware, she's taking it back and I'm sure she'll re-list. Hopefully honestly.

So my point with this thread was just beware, she's taking it back and I'm sure she'll re-list. Hopefully honestly.
I have a suggestion re feedback. I'm not a fan of feedback dinging and as a buyer, I'd rather not leave any feedback than to neg. I would neg a scammer though.

There are options:

1. You can either choose to leave what you consider to be appropriate feedback - perhaps a warning to future buyers that the item wasn't accurately described
2. You can wait to see how it's described when relisted and if she's honest and seems to have learned a lesson, either leave no feedback or a feedback thanking her for accepting the return
3. If relisted without full disclosure, clearly she didn't learn a thing and you can decide whether to leave feedback, what type of feedback and how to word it.

I have a suggestion re feedback. I'm not a fan of feedback dinging and as a buyer, I'd rather not leave any feedback than to neg. I would neg a scammer though.

There are options:

1. You can either choose to leave what you consider to be appropriate feedback - perhaps a warning to future buyers that the item wasn't accurately described
2. You can wait to see how it's described when relisted and if she's honest and seems to have learned a lesson, either leave no feedback or a feedback thanking her for accepting the return
3. If relisted without full disclosure, clearly she didn't learn a thing and you can decide whether to leave feedback, what type of feedback and how to word it.

I agree with you, I'm not going to slam her in feedback. Speaking of feedback, in my experience, most sellers leave feedback for buyers as soon as they receive payment. She didn't. That makes me wonder even more if she knew what she was doing but is reserving feedback to see how it plays out.

I have opened a case but not involved eBay yet, we're still in the working it out phase. I'm with you, I'm saving feedback until this ends and also to see if and how she relists. Whatever she does, I won't be rude in feedback. That just comes across as angry and petty. I'm not angry at all but what's right is right.

Whoops.

I think me interjecting my bad experience with the gum/tear in my bag has confused some of the readers.

This particular bag that OP started the thread about does not have gum in the lining, that was a bag I had purchased.

Sorry Jez :heart: I think I did cause some confusion on your thread.

Whoops.

I think me interjecting my bad experience with the gum/tear in my bag has confused some of the readers.

This particular bag that OP started the thread about does not have gum in the lining, that was a bag I had purchased.

Sorry Jez :heart: I think I did cause some confusion on your thread.
No worries! You had a horrible experience, right down to the attitude from the seller. Hopefully they're not still selling!

And thank you to the moderator who moved my thread! I'm still getting used to the forum and should have known there was an eBay thread.

No worries! You had a horrible experience, right down to the attitude from the seller. Hopefully they're not still selling!

And thank you to the moderator who moved my thread! I'm still getting used to the forum and should have known there was an eBay thread.

I am actually considering leaving negative feedback on my seller person. It's one thing to post an item as being in better condition than it really is - that's just bad business, but during our exchange when I was respectfully asking for a partial refund, or for her to accept the bag as a return she:
- Told me I didn't know what I was talking about
- Told me I was scamming her
- Accused me of putting the gum in the lining myself, because I had buyers remorse
- Accused me of lying
- Told me that I was being dramatic and just use peanut butter to get the gum out of the lining

All she had to do was accept the bag for return or agree to the partial refund and the whole ordeal wouldn't have been so outrageous.

The whole time I kept the same arguement, the bag was not disclosed accurately and had I known the leather was ripped, the lining was stained and there was gum stuck to the fabric I would have never bid. She also had it listed for the wrong color and when I asked her about it said she was just guessing the shade. When I didn't waiver from the grounds for my request she eventually backed down.

I don't blame you for sticking to the consignment stores. Hopefully less of a headache =)

I am actually considering leaving negative feedback on my seller person. It's one thing to post an item as being in better condition than it really is - that's just bad business, but during our exchange when I was respectfully asking for a partial refund, or for her to accept the bag as a return she:
- Told me I didn't know what I was talking about
- Told me I was scamming her
- Accused me of putting the gum in the lining myself, because I had buyers remorse
- Accused me of lying
- Told me that I was being dramatic and just use peanut butter to get the gum out of the lining

All she had to do was accept the bag for return or agree to the partial refund and the whole ordeal wouldn't have been so outrageous.

The whole time I kept the same arguement, the bag was not disclosed accurately and had I known the leather was ripped, the lining was stained and there was gum stuck to the fabric I would have never bid. She also had it listed for the wrong color and when I asked her about it said she was just guessing the shade. When I didn't waiver from the grounds for my request she eventually backed down.

I don't blame you for sticking to the consignment stores. Hopefully less of a headache =)

Hmmm. I can't believe you didn't leave feedback already!

I shouldn't have had this bag authenticated. Now I know for a fact it is and I STILL WANT IT :shucks: but I just can't get past the dishonesty...or can I??? sigh. I'm sure I can just cancel the case and keep the bag and if I am honest with myself, I would certainly have paid what I did for a pre-loved. Do I want to punish myself by sending a bag back that I really like just b/c I don't like the sellers practices?

Hmmm. I can't believe you didn't leave feedback already!

I shouldn't have had this bag authenticated. Now I know for a fact it is and I STILL WANT IT :shucks: but I just can't get past the dishonesty...or can I??? sigh. I'm sure I can just cancel the case and keep the bag and if I am honest with myself, I would certainly have paid what I did for a pre-loved. Do I want to punish myself by sending a bag back that I really like just b/c I don't like the sellers practices?

Honestly - I was planning on keeping the Day that I bought if the seller agreed to the $100 partial refund. The basis for my request was because I didn't feel comfortable paying anything more than that for a bag of it's condition. I was willing to get the leather repaired and fix the lining because the Cumin colored Day is just so gorgeous.

When she refused to do the partial, I sent it back. I couldn't in good conscience pay what I did for that bag.

However, if you are comfortable with what you paid...love the bag and can get past the pre-loved signs. I say keep it. Don't punish yourself by missing out on a bag you adore because a seller stinks at what they do.

I say this *only* if you are comfortable paying what you did for it. It is a rare color, Tomate is gorgeous and I was tempted to go for a Tomate Day I saw on eBay but ended up goign for something different. It's just a stunning color. I saw your photos, it looks really good in the photos. I can see some scuffing on the corners but that can be softened with a leather moisturizer I would think.

What other flaws do you see on the bag that would make it hard to keep? Any of it fixable with tender love & care?

Honestly - I was planning on keeping the Day that I bought if the seller agreed to the $100 partial refund. The basis for my request was because I didn't feel comfortable paying anything more than that for a bag of it's condition. I was willing to get the leather repaired and fix the lining because the Cumin colored Day is just so gorgeous.

When she refused to do the partial, I sent it back. I couldn't in good conscience pay what I did for that bag.

However, if you are comfortable with what you paid...love the bag and can get past the pre-loved signs. I say keep it. Don't punish yourself by missing out on a bag you adore because a seller stinks at what they do.

I say this *only* if you are comfortable paying what you did for it. It is a rare color, Tomate is gorgeous and I was tempted to go for a Tomate Day I saw on eBay but ended up goign for something different. It's just a stunning color. I saw your photos, it looks really good in the photos. I can see some scuffing on the corners but that can be softened with a leather moisturizer I would think.

What other flaws do you see on the bag that would make it hard to keep? Any of it fixable with tender love & care?
I don't blame you one bit for returning the bag, between its condition and the way you were treated. I wonder what ever happened to it.

I'm even happier with this color than I thought I would be. If she lists it properly on re-list, she may even get more for it than I paid if it is as rare as it seems to be. HMMMMMMM. lol I'll have to think this one through.