so much buyer remorse!

I sold the item that was returned today for the same amount, so I am only out the postage if ebay refunds my fees.

Unless the reason for return was your fault (some flaw missed in the description or a mismeasurement or something) the buyer should be paying shipping both ways. You shouldn't be out anything in most cases.

Call ebay and show them a copy of return receipt from paypal they will reverse fees for you

Have you actually done this? :wondering

I was under the impression that ebay would not refund the fees unless the buyer agreed to cancel the transaction or didn't respond to the request in a certain amount of time. :shrugs:

Have you actually done this? :wondering

I was under the impression that ebay would not refund the fees unless the buyer agreed to cancel the transaction or didn't respond to the request in a certain amount of time. :shrugs:

Yes i faxed in a copy of my refund to ebay back when i used to offer returns and they refunded fees. That was sometime ago but i cant seeing it being any different, if the buyer simply returned the item with no issue why should the seller be out the fees?

Nope, this is definitely not a new thing. I don't feel that there is an influx of buyer's remorse lately; it's always been this way. Buyers are ignorant and like to treat sellers like department stores with very flexible return policies. It's ridiculous.

I've come up with a pretty air-tight way to pre-screen my buyers, knock on wood, so I've been pretty lucky thus far...

Nope, this is definitely not a new thing. I don't feel that there is an influx of buyer's remorse lately; it's always been this way. Buyers are ignorant and like to treat sellers like department stores with very flexible return policies. It's ridiculous.

I've come up with a pretty air-tight way to pre-screen my buyers, knock on wood, so I've been pretty lucky thus far...

Please share your wisdom:

Unless the reason for return was your fault (some flaw missed in the description or a mismeasurement or something) the buyer should be paying shipping both ways. You shouldn't be out anything in most cases.
Well, I'm out postage and insurance to send it because I offered free shipping. The buyer paid shipping to return it.

However, from a buyer's point of view, have you been honest with yourself as to why the returns are occurring? For some reason, in the past 2 weeks, almost all my ebay purchases (4 out of 5) have been "not as described," which I had to return. Two of those times, the sellers disagreed with me, but agreed to the return/refund. For example, the reasons for my returns/refunds:
1. LV mono pochette -- Seller sent different item than pictured, tPF authenticators deemed fake. Seller insisted the item was authentic since she had purchased it on ebay... but still agreed to refund. (I told her I would report her if she relisted the bag.)
2. LV damier pochette -- Seller stated that the item was in "incredible condition," which is was EXCEPT for a small hole in the canvas along the bottom of the bag. I informed the seller that LV would not repair holes in canvas, thus I wanted to return. She disagreed about the repairability (and thought I was making a big deal out of nothing) but accepted refund. The price was very reasonable on this bag, I was almost tempted to keep it and just patch it from the inside, but just couldn't stand the thought of idea of starting out with a hole in an LV.
3. Cashmere sweater -- seller described as being 100% cashmere, when actually was just 30% cashmere + 70% wool; easy return/refund, nice seller.
4. Cashmere sweater -- seller described as being size medium, but was actually size small (as obviously indicated on the label); easy return/refund, but slightly unpleasant seller.

So, as much I as I can understand that buyers can be total PITAs, I also think sellers need to describe their items accurately and/or more realistically...

Well, I'm out postage and insurance to send it because I offered free shipping. The buyer paid shipping to return it.

ooof. In that case, I would suggest charging a restocking fee with all returns, about equal to your original shipping + PP fees (or maybe with a little bit added for your inconvenience/cost of relisting)

ooof. In that case, I would suggest charging a restocking fee with all returns, about equal to your original shipping + PP fees (or maybe with a little bit added for your inconvenience/cost of relisting)
I considered this but then I thought that would void my chances of getting my ebay fees back - according to the cancel transaction rules, I think you have to give a complete refund. If I made the restocking fee equal to the fees, it would be huge, and would get me some negative feedback.

I considered this but then I thought that would void my chances of getting my ebay fees back - according to the cancel transaction rules, I think you have to give a complete refund. If I made the restocking fee equal to the fees, it would be huge, and would get me some negative feedback.

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware of that, probably because I only offer exchanges or store credits...if you sell a lot of stuff at a time (so there's always a good selection of stuff available) you could consider going that route as well.

However, from a buyer's point of view, have you been honest with yourself as to why the returns are occurring? For some reason, in the past 2 weeks, almost all my ebay purchases (4 out of 5) have been "not as described," which I had to return. Two of those times, the sellers disagreed with me, but agreed to the return/refund. For example, the reasons for my returns/refunds:
1. LV mono pochette -- Seller sent different item than pictured, tPF authenticators deemed fake. Seller insisted the item was authentic since she had purchased it on ebay... but still agreed to refund. (I told her I would report her if she relisted the bag.)
2. LV damier pochette -- Seller stated that the item was in "incredible condition," which is was EXCEPT for a small hole in the canvas along the bottom of the bag. I informed the seller that LV would not repair holes in canvas, thus I wanted to return. She disagreed about the repairability (and thought I was making a big deal out of nothing) but accepted refund. The price was very reasonable on this bag, I was almost tempted to keep it and just patch it from the inside, but just couldn't stand the thought of idea of starting out with a hole in an LV.
3. Cashmere sweater -- seller described as being 100% cashmere, when actually was just 30% cashmere + 70% wool; easy return/refund, nice seller.
4. Cashmere sweater -- seller described as being size medium, but was actually size small (as obviously indicated on the label); easy return/refund, but slightly unpleasant seller.

So, as much I as I can understand that buyers can be total PITAs, I also think sellers need to describe their items accurately and/or more realistically...
That would turn me off of shopping on ebay. I had one in which the seller described the item as new without tags, and there were holes and worn spots all over the place! I've never gotten that kind of wear on any of my bags - it makes me wonder what people do to make them show that kind of abuse. I had to open a case. I had pictures of all of the damage so of course I won, but it was a PITA. I can't understand why the seller thought she could get away with it.
I just got a wallet that was described as mint, and for the most part it is, but it has three dots of ink on it. I am disappointed, but not enough to return.
I think that being an ebay buyer makes you a better seller. I always put detailed pictures of every bit of damage so the buyer will know exactly what they are getting, because I am so annoyed at sellers that don't have good pictures and don't describe items accurately.

a good point.... if one is an ebay buyer and than becomes a seller you can

certainly understand that a description and a accurate one at that makes a

transaction go smoother....think that there are some sellers who count on

buyers just keeping what they buy so they don't have to go through the

hassle of a snad & everything that goes along with it....