snapped/loose stitches on new trench

I don't think that's a big deal... you'll probably be wearing this coat for decades (as I have my trenches!!) and come across this at some point. But if you'd feel a lot better about it and don't lose anything, just return for another. No harm there.

The thread has nothing holding it in place and a tailor has said it definitely needs securing what ever I decide to do. it also seems loose on one side of where the collar attaches. Again, is this normal? Looks very untidy on one side and lots of loose threads on my buttons too :confused1:

View attachment 5838611

View attachment 5838612
Hmm that's kind of an odd stitch.. it seems like a fix of something. Whether it's normal or not, I'd say... was it on sale or any special reason why you need to keep this one specific one? If it's just as easy to return for another and give yourself peace, just do it. Then you'll know for sure.

No reason to keep it, its the second one I’ve had from flannels thats got a defect. I popped in their store today and every single trench had the same stitch issue at the bottom so i dont trust an exchange. Im actually still waiting for my first refund and was trying to avoid sending a second back but looks like i have no choice. They accept blue light discount so it was slightly discounted but not anything significant that would make me keep the trench. Im starting to question if they have purchased cheaper stock with minor defects and are trying to sell them at full price. Something strange it definitely going on for them to have sent me 2 coats with stitching defects and have 3 more exactly the same in the store.

Im in contact with burberry someone is calling me tomorrow about the situation. They seem shocked and have even offered to honour me the old price before the increase here in the uk if i want to purchase from them once i get my refund.

Heres a couple of pictures i managed to get of some from the store and also mine, exactly the same!

IMG_9466.jpeg

IMG_9467.jpeg

IMG_9444.jpeg

• Insightful
Reactions: papertiger
Hmm so here's my take, and YMMV. I own 5 Burberry coats now, and have owned more in my lifetime, and they're all different types between quilted, puffer, or trench, for man or woman, and purchased from all different places.... I'm certain they have always had something minor (I consider it minor) like this with them. There's sometimes a slight misalignment in the check on the liner, or a loose stitch here, or a rubbed area on the metal, etc... and it's never been a long-term issue.

so would you leave this stitch even if the thread has completely come apart at the bottom and there is nothing holding it together / in place. The tailor seems to think this needs to be repaired and simply cannot be left if i dont want it to eventually unravel. I just think 5 coats all with the EXACT same piece of thread snapped is really strange. Burberry claim to have never seen this particular issue but how true that is i dont know. They did also send me a photo of this area on one of their trench coats and it didn’t have this problem. :confused1:
Flannels have now offered to pay for the repair and discount a further 10% off it but not sure if its worth the hassle on a brand new coat

so would you leave this stitch even if the thread has completely come apart at the bottom and there is nothing holding it together / in place. The tailor seems to think this needs to be repaired and simply cannot be left if i dont want it to eventually unravel. I just think 5 coats all with the EXACT same piece of thread snapped is really strange. Burberry claim to have never seen this particular issue but how true that is i dont know. They did also send me a photo of this area on one of their trench coats and it didn’t have this problem. :confused1:
Flannels have now offered to pay for the repair and discount a further 10% off it but not sure if its worth the hassle on a brand new coat

I'm sure my coats don't have a popped stitch all in the exact same place... I'm just saying I'm sure they have them at some point. Will take a photo later of an example if you want to see what it may look like after a few years of ownership. I haven't repaired any of my coats or felt I needed to except for one where it was definitely my mistake. Nothing has unraveled. I think Burberry is a bit full of it if they think all their coats are in pristine condition on the Sales floor... but again it's more about your comfort level than anything. If it's going to bother you, don't keep it. If you don't mind repairing it for free, keep it.

Oh no Sorry i didnt mean your 5 coats i meant i’ve now seen a total of 5 from flannels with the same popped stitch all in the same place. 2 have been delivered to me and another 3 i looked at in the store today. Thats what i found so strange, that 5 trench coats from 1 store all have the same popped stitch :shocked:

I could live with it if it wont unravel :smile:
Think ill get that area of stitching under the collar checked too though as once I accept the coat knowing it has a defect and they pay for the repair it becomes non returnable even if something else were to happen.

I'm sure my coats don't have a popped stitch all in the exact same place... I'm just saying I'm sure they have them at some point. Will take a photo later of an example if you want to see what it may look like after a few years of ownership. I haven't repaired any of my coats or felt I needed to except for one where it was definitely my mistake.

Nothing has unraveled. I think Burberry is a bit full of it if they think all their coats are in pristine condition on the Sales floor... but again it's more about your comfort level than anything.

If it's going to bother you, don't keep it. If you don't mind repairing it for free, keep it.
Hey there,

That's a bummer about your new trench. Personally, if I've just bought something new and it already has a flaw, it kind of bugs me. Especially if it's something you've been looking forward to or spent a good amount on. I'd be worried about the thread unraveling further or potentially affecting the integrity of the garment over time.

Given that it's new, you should be within your rights to return or exchange it. I'd recommend taking it back to the store or contacting the online seller and explaining the situation. They might even offer a quick fix if it's something minor, but you'll have the peace of mind knowing it's been checked out professionally.

Better to address it now than regret it later, in my opinion. Hope it all works out for you!

Warm regards,
Ahmad

Hey there,

That's a bummer about your new trench. Personally, if I've just bought something new and it already has a flaw, it kind of bugs me. Especially if it's something you've been looking forward to or spent a good amount on. I'd be worried about the thread unraveling further or potentially affecting the integrity of the garment over time.

Given that it's new, you should be within your rights to return or exchange it. I'd recommend taking it back to the store or contacting the online seller and explaining the situation. They might even offer a quick fix if it's something minor, but you'll have the peace of mind knowing it's been checked out professionally.

Better to address it now than regret it later, in my opinion. Hope it all works out for you!

Warm regards,
Ahmad
that is weird... makes me think it's a handling issue on the store's part. but then rightly so that they should offer you a repair and discount.

Just a quick update i took it to burberry who refused to send this to a tailor as the entire front panel would need to be unpicked and restitched. They do not send trench coats back to where they are made for repairs instead they are tailored locally and Burberry cant promise that it would have met their original standards. With it being on the front of the coat and a lot of restitching they said they cant accept the repair.
They were extremely helpful and explained everything so it made perfect sense. I have returned the trench coat to flannels for a refund and burberry are honouring the pre price increase price when i go in to purchase.

Of course I could have used a local tailor myself but they said exactly the same as burberry so i trust I’ve made the right decision :smile: