Smoking Bans...

Apr 14, 2006
Anyone from New York or Californina... what are the 'smoking laws' there? I know smoking is banned from all restaurants and bars but what about outdoor places? or sidewalks and inside your car and such?..

Thanks!:heart:

In CA it's banned everywhere....restaurants, bars, outdoor patios, etc.
In some cities (such as San Fran) you can't smoke in city parks.
You also can't smoke within 25 feet of government buildings and schools.

pink_bai2bi said:
Anyone from New York or Californina... what are the 'smoking laws' there? I know smoking is banned from all restaurants and bars but what about outdoor places? or sidewalks and inside your car and such?..

Here in California if you are caught smoking in any public place, the fire department is dispatched immediately and you are hosed down on the spot.
Well, practically.
You cannot smoke in any public building. You have to be at least 20 feet away from a building outside if you wish to smoke.
I think they are also trying to ban smoking even in outdoor restaurant patios.
I for one do not smoke and am very allergic so I'm kinda glad. :shame:

It is banned in Florida too... I love the rule more than anything. What are you wondering about it for? I don't know the exact NY law... but I never see it in places in NYC...

quote=bagnshoofetish]Here in California if you are caught smoking in any public place, the fire department is dispatched immediately and you are hosed down on the spot.
Well, practically.
You cannot smoke in any public building. You have to be at least 20 feet away from a building outside if you wish to smoke.
I think they are also trying to ban smoking even in outdoor restaurant patios.
I for one do not smoke and am very allergic so I'm kinda glad. :shame:[/quote]

What the hell????? We live on different planets....almost funny how behind Quebec is:weird: . Although they just banned it in restaurants this past January.

I live in NY; prior I had lived in PA for three years. I love the no-smoking laws here. It is so nice to go out for a cocktail with my hobby and to come home and not smell like an ashtray (not to mention my bags!!)

Becca4277 said:
I live in NY; prior I had lived in PA for three years. I love the no-smoking laws here. It is so nice to go out for a cocktail with my hobby and to come home and not smell like an ashtray (not to mention my bags!!)
This is why I never bring my bags out to bars/clubs (and I rarely go out).

I LOVE California's "no smoking" laws. I know that smokers have the right to smoke. However, the second you exhale and I have to breath in your cigarette smoke--you're infringing on my rights.

pink_bai2bi said:

Are there places that ban smoking in cars??

I live in NY and smoking is banned from the interiors of public places like restaurants and diners. Bars out where I live often don't enforce them though. I heard there was a ban such that you had to be 50' away from a public building to smoke; not enforced at all.

It's funny though. My friend just left for college down in South Carolina, and the smoking laws down there are non-exsistant. There is a smoking section in a MCDONALDS! I love it. I wish NY wasn't as strict as it is.