Small wedding + large venue? Yes or no? Any other ideas?

Small wedding- should we hold it at a big or small venue?

• A small wedding should be fine at a large venue!

• A smaller venue would be more appropriate for less people!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SpoilMeRotten

=^..^=
Jan 3, 2008
My fiance and I are currently scoping out the sites for our wedding ceremony and reception. We want to have a small wedding (40-50 people) It's so hard to actually find a place I like though! My favorite place so far has a 90 guest minimum, most of the places that don't have guest size minimums have huge food/beverage minumums that would be impossible to meet without a 100+ guest list. It's driving me crazy! I found another place that is so perfect, no guest or food minimums (for a Sunday- which we're fine with) but the place is HUGE and can accomodate 400 people, so we're a little worried that we'll look out of place in this giant building! We're going to see it in person this week so I think we'll get a good idea...so my question is, have you had or attended a wedding with a small guest list that was held at a venue designed for a larger crowd? Was it awkward? I know a lot of churches are massive and people still have smaller sized weddings in them, but does it feel too empty? Or does it not matter? Any other ideas?

I really think small weddings look best outdoors but I don't want to be stressed about the weather (I live in MI, it's very erratic) Plus the other ideas I've found online for small weddings (bed and breakfasts, restaurants, etc) just aren't doing it for me, I do imagine the fairytale thing with the big castle-type building, despite wanting to keep it small! That probably doesn't seem to FIT but it's what I want!

TIA:heart:

i think its fine...but just a little tip - the more space there is the more decoration/flowers etc is required to fill up the space!!! So that could eat up more of your budget then you originally planned.

Another idea is ask some of the resorts if you can section off the room... Most places have moving walls that they can put in place and will charge/have requirements for how many of the sections you need.

When i was planning my engagement party i scouted out a few places and when i decided on the Ritz they asked if i wanted all three parts or just one part...because of my MASSIVE hindu family i had to all parts haha 400+ people and my mom thought that was "small" how i envy you!

It's absolutely possible as Jan said and could add a little more cost as luvednotspoiled pointed out depending on how talented your florist/ wedding planner is. On the flip side, there are many smaller venues out there that allow you to bring in your own caterer, which would cut down on the costs and allow you to keep your wedding smaller.

Oh, and you never updated us on your ring situation. What did you end up going with? The original?

I have been slacking off on that whole situation! I am wearing the original and I'm pretty attached to it now, so I will most likely keep it.. BUT... I haven't updated the thread since I'm still not 100% sure, and I'm running out of time (we only have 60 days to return!) Thing is that I keep going back and forth, I have been looking whenever I have found the time, and nothing else I've found I love as much (except of course for the rings that are way out of my price range!)

So I've been looking online for hours and have not found even one place near me that is designed for small weddings that is actually really NICE. I want an elegant wedding! It makes me feel like I have to expand my guest list to have the kind of wedding I want, even though then it won't really be what I want either. I really don't want a bunch of extended family and friends I'm not super close with to be there, I don't care, but I want a nice location that will look amazing in photographs:confused1:

Ritz-Carlton in Dearborn? I'm not familiar with Detroit so went on-line to take a peek myself. Another thought for your "castle wedding" (I used to have the same fantasy!) - Are there any old historic mansions that can be rented for weddings?

Congrats!! Well, I think it's very do-able (but it can be costly as other's have mentioned) to do a small wedding at a big venue. Back when I was in HS we had our senior prom at SF city hall.. And it was HUGE!! Too huge!! We had about 1000+ guest and it was still way too big. I felt like we didn't get to really mingle much with people because there was sooo much space. The year before, for my junior prom we had it at a country club and it small and inimate. We all said we enjoyed the junior prom better because we actually got to visit with everyone which was nice, things we're so spread out. But I do think you can make it work, you just have to use fillers to take up space. Or maybe do a sectional??

Have you thought of a country club?? Some golf resorts have really nice indoor and outdoor areas to get married at! My friend is getting married next year and is doing at a country club for a small wedding as well and she said it's going to be perfect for her number of guest!!

Ritz-Carlton in Dearborn? I'm not familiar with Detroit so went on-line to take a peek myself. Another thought for your "castle wedding" (I used to have the same fantasy!) - Are there any old historic mansions that can be rented for weddings?

There is a Henry Ford house that is kind of cool that does weddings http://www.henryfordestate.org/ but the prices, along with the food and beverage minimums, makes it comparable price-wise to far nice places, so I'm not sure if it's even worth it. The way their menu is priced it wouldnt be possible to meet the minimums with the size party we're going to have anyway.

These are the two places I REALLY like, but they are HUGE http://www.colonyclubdetroit.com/ and http://www4.oakland.edu/?id=80&sid=87
and desgined for way bigger crowds:sad: I am tempted to just invite everyone we know so we can do one of these, but I really do want something more intimate.... i just want to find a place equally as elegant but it doesnt seem to exist

Have you thought of a country club?? Some golf resorts have really nice indoor and outdoor areas to get married at! My friend is getting married next year and is doing at a country club for a small wedding as well and she said it's going to be perfect for her number of guest!!

We are going to look at some country clubs but I don't have very high hopes. Mainly because most of them will do 4 events a time.... I can't imagine running into another BRIDE at MY wedding:tdown: Or waiting to take photos after another bridal party.... forget that! I mean hopefully these places coordinate things so that doesnt happen, but I dont even want to chance it. I want our wedding to be the only event happening wherever we decide on, so this makes it more complicated.

Congrats!! Well, I think it's very do-able (but it can be costly as other's have mentioned) to do a small wedding at a big venue. Back when I was in HS we had our senior prom at SF city hall.. And it was HUGE!! Too huge!! We had about 1000+ guest and it was still way too big. I felt like we didn't get to really mingle much with people because there was sooo much space. The year before, for my junior prom we had it at a country club and it small and inimate. We all said we enjoyed the junior prom better because we actually got to visit with everyone which was nice, things we're so spread out. But I do think you can make it work, you just have to use fillers to take up space. Or maybe do a sectional??

Thanks! This is interesting to hear, I guess there is a benefit to keep everyone close together without so much room to spread out and break into groups!

Most hotels will section off for weddings...maybe another nice hotel can section off and still stay within your price range?? What about an old theater? I know someone who got married at a theater in Detroit two years ago and it was lovely but I can't remember the name. If you're interested PM me and I'll hunt it down.