Small LouLou or Medium Envelope ... help me decide!

Thanks. I’ve been in the market for a black flap w/SHW (I’d love a Chanel jumbo caviar but the prices are insane) and thought this would be a great buy. Now I’m questioning it. Sigh.
Sorry about that! I think it is due to the suppleness of the leather. The great thing is that they make lots of similar bags that would be more durable because the leather is hardier like the College, Envelope or my personal fav the Niki (which might have been made for you...ha!)

I am not sure how many experience this problem or how “carefree” they are with their bags but something to keep in mind if you decide to get the Lou Lou.

I used to have the medium but sold it after using it only once (too big for what I need it for) and the corners were perfect. Not sure if there will be corner wear if I kept it and used it many times, though. Hopefully, people with experience in corner wear will chime in before I get tooo tempted by the small Loulou. :biggrin:

Reactions: Nikki528
Hope those who have the Loulou will chime in on the corner wear! I really like it but not rich so need the bag to last if I ever buy it.
I've had the small loulou for almost 2 years now, no corner wear :smile:

I don't know if this makes any difference but I have the "older" version of the small, I've noticed they now come with four rivets (two on each side) to adjust the strap to shoulder or crossbody wear. Mine has just one rivet on each side with just the crossbody option. I hope that makes sense!

Reactions: fdc and Antigone
I'm thinking I'm going to go with the envelope, maybe -- also because I love the back pocket. But I just spotted a red college bag, small! I saw it and loved it and it was with the ghw, which I don't see much anymore. And now I want the black college too -- I like the interior and the top handle and the back pocket. I just wish you could adjust the straps like the envelope ... But the Lou Lou is out for now.

Last edited:
Hey YSL lovers -- I love both bags, but I really should only buy one. Trying to decide between these two:

The Medium Envelope -- black

View attachment 4398075
The small LouLou, black:

View attachment 4398076
I want something a little more structured and something I can toss around, but I do love the squishy leather of the Lou. I also want something more medium sized and sturdy, and the envelope has that. The envelope seems pretty rugged. However, I like the middle zip pocket in the LouLou because it's just more secure and I'm always worried my stuff will come tumbling out of my bag. They are both pretty but I just can't decide... I've tried on both and these two sizes look best on my frame. I would like them for everyday use mostly (though I switch bags in phases of how I feel). I also think these bags look pretty timeless, which is a plus. Anyone with experience with either, suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
Sry for the later reply, but I have both bags so I I thought I'd give you my input, if you haven't already decided.

I have the medium envelope in the pale pink color. Got it a little over a year ago. Gorgeous style, BUT the quality is atrocious!:annoyed: The leather on the flap has completely rubbed off the tip, on the corners & top of the back pocket... basically everywhere you can see the gray coming thru underneath. This started happening WITHIN 2 WEEKS of me having the bag! Took it to Saint Laurent boutique where it was purchased. The rude SA said it was "normal wear& tear" and that it was my fault. Offered no remedy. (I didn't want a new bag, just to have it sent out/repaired by them sine it was well w/n the One Year Warranty. She said I would have to pay $100's to have it "repaired" by their cobbler, and if he damaged it, I was SOL. I can send it to my own cobbler, whom I trust and is prob cheaper. So, no thanks). I also have several friends (at least 4) that had this same prob. They luckily all bought theirs at Nordstrom, so they were able to return for a diff. style. Also, keep in mind that you can't fit much in this bag since it's super stiff & structured. I still own it, but I don't grab for it often. I've carried her no more than 10x since I was gifted the bag in early April 2018.

I recently got the LouLou in the medium size, black w/ ghw. I have been using her everyday for the past 2 weeks! So spacious, but also look luxurious. The leather is so soft & I hope there won't be an issue with the rubbing. So far, so good.... so keep your fingers crossed! Can also easily be transitioned from day into night also.

1 Vote LouLou... just b/c the quality of the envelope is very poor

Last edited:
Sry for the later reply, but I have both bags so I I thought I'd give you my input, if you haven't already decided.

I have the medium envelope in the pale pink color. Got it a little over a year ago. Gorgeous style, BUT the quality is atrocious!:annoyed: The leather on the flap has completely rubbed off the tip, on the corners & top of the back pocket... basically everywhere you can see the gray coming thru underneath. This started happening WITHIN 2 WEEKS of me having the bag! Took it to Saint Laurent boutique where it was purchased. The rude SA said it was "normal wear& tear" and that it was my fault. Offered no remedy. (I didn't want a new bag, just to have it sent out/repaired by them sine it was well w/n the One Year Warranty. She said I would have to pay $100's to have it "repaired" by their cobbler, and if he damaged it, I was SOL. I can send it to my own cobbler, whom I trust and is prob cheaper. So, no thanks). I also have several friends (at least 4) that had this same prob. They luckily all bought theirs at Nordstrom, so they were able to return for a diff. style. Also, keep in mind that you can't fit much in this bag since it's super stiff & structured. I still own it, but I don't grab for it often. I've carried her no more than 10x since I was gifted the bag in early April 2018.

I recently got the LouLou in the medium size, black w/ ghw. I have been using her everyday for the past 2 weeks! So spacious, but also look luxurious. The leather is so soft & I hope there won't be an issue with the rubbing. So far, so good.... so keep your fingers crossed! Can also easily be transitioned from day into night also.

1 Vote LouLou... just b/c the quality of the envelope is very poor

Hello! So now I’m very nervous. I just bought a black medium envelope with silver hardware a week ago from SL boutique. It’s my first SL bag and I have not used it yet. All tags and wrapping still on the bag. Now I’m wondering if I should exchange it for a different style, like the Loulou, while I’m still within the return/exchange window. Is this a common problem with this bag? I’m so sad [emoji20], the envelope is so beautiful.

Hello! So now I’m very nervous. I just bought a black medium envelope with silver hardware a week ago from SL boutique. It’s my first SL bag and I have not used it yet. All tags and wrapping still on the bag. Now I’m wondering if I should exchange it for a different style, like the Loulou, while I’m still within the return/exchange window. Is this a common problem with this bag? I’m so sad
emoji20.png
, the envelope is so beautiful.
It's definitely a beautiful bag! but the quality is just awful, IMO:yucky: I'm pretty careful with my bags & this bag shows the most wear out of my entire handbag collection... which is absurd considering how infrequently I carried this one... I also didn't like how the SA at the boutique handled the situation when I brought the bag in about 3 months after purchasing inquiring about a repair...

Just read around the Saint Laurent forums about the quality while you're still in that 30 day exchange window... But it all comes down to: If you love the style, keep it!:heart: Bags are meant to be used and shown a little love, right!?

Reactions: coniglietta
Hey YSL lovers -- I love both bags, but I really should only buy one. Trying to decide between these two:

The Medium Envelope -- black

View attachment 4398075
The small LouLou, black:

View attachment 4398076
I want something a little more structured and something I can toss around, but I do love the squishy leather of the Lou. I also want something more medium sized and sturdy, and the envelope has that. The envelope seems pretty rugged. However, I like the middle zip pocket in the LouLou because it's just more secure and I'm always worried my stuff will come tumbling out of my bag. They are both pretty but I just can't decide... I've tried on both and these two sizes look best on my frame. I would like them for everyday use mostly (though I switch bags in phases of how I feel). I also think these bags look pretty timeless, which is a plus. Anyone with experience with either, suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
This LouLou is a unicorn on the resale market. I would love to get my hands on one at a good price. There are plenty of silver and black hw ones. I just love how understated the goldtone hardware is.

The envelope bag is beautiful though.

Envelope is definitely more versatile and seems much more durable. Also, I think you can take it from day to night easier than the Lou Lou.
The Lou Lou does seem like the perfect everyday bag but if you want something that will stand the test of time I’d go envelope.

Reactions: HavPlenty