Since when did Cartier bracelets come "plated?"

I suspect many of these buyers know what they're getting. Just like people who buy Prada out of the trunk of a car.

I think you are right. Having probably never seen the real thing IRL, they think their "plated" version looks as good as the real thing. At least they were not charged the real price for a fake, I guess that is something. (Not that I in any way condone fakes!)

Not sure which auction you were referencing but the original bracelets were gold plated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bracelet_(Cartier)

Love bracelet (Cartier)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Cartier_love_collection_re_launched.jpg bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf5/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.png
A recent edition of the Love bracelet (screwdriver not pictured).

The Love bracelet (styled L⊝Ve, with the horizontal line inside the letter "O" alluding to the bracelet's locking mechanism) is a famous piece of jewelry for Cartier designed in 1969 by Aldo Cipullo. The bracelet quickly became popular for its intentional[1] resemblance in function to medieval chastity belts. The earlier bracelets were gold plated, while more recent examples are solid gold.

Thanks for sharing the wikipedia link. Those Love bracelets are beautiful, but each time I tried one, I asked the SA to unscrew it almost immediately. I think I have a 'claustrophobic' wrist. :sad:

Not sure which auction you were referencing but the original bracelets were gold plated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bracelet_%28Cartier%29

Love bracelet (Cartier)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A recent edition of the Love bracelet (screwdriver not pictured).

The Love bracelet (styled L⊝Ve, with the horizontal line inside the letter "O" alluding to the bracelet's locking mechanism) is a famous piece of jewelry for Cartier designed in 1969 by Aldo Cipullo. The bracelet quickly became popular for its intentional[1] resemblance in function to medieval chastity belts. The earlier bracelets were gold plated, while more recent examples are solid gold.

Wow, I had no idea - thanks for this, LTL!! Interesting about the Charles Revson connection, too. I only associated him with cosmetics. Live and learn!

Last edited: