Home & Garden Silverfish help?!

L etoile

tPF addict
O.G.
Jun 9, 2007
Over the past 3 days, I have seen 2 silverfish in my townhouse! One was in the master bathroom and the other HUGE one was in the downstairs 1/2 bath. I live in a hot/humid area (although we've had a cold front recently). The exterminator won't be able to come out until after New Year's. Is there anything I can do? I've already cleaned the house from top to bottom, cleaned out closets, removed lots of stuff and donated it to a local nonprofit, got Damp rid, sprayed some Odor rid stuff, used citrus soaps, etc. I remember having silverfish many years ago when I was moving and had lots of cardboard boxes around. I've made sure to throw away anything like that. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. The silverfish in the downstairs bath was found alive after we did all of this stuff, so I feel like nothing I'm doing is helping. We have new neighbors as of 2 weeks ago, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? The maintenance guy said that the wall between our houses is a firewall, so nothing should be able to pass through. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of these things?!

I think they make some type of box traps for silverfish bugs. You might find them in a hardware store or online. We had them in our unfinished basement of our 80 plus year old house. The basement was something out of a horror story. The washer/dryer was there. I could not leave any laundry in the basement in buckets on the floor. I did use Dr. Bonners peppermint Castile soap and water in a spray bottle and used to spray everywhere. Mint seems to get rid of bugs pretty good. Have you looked up online how to get rid of them?

I detest those squirmy little things. I had them in the attic of my 100 year old house and I had to get an exterminator in. They won't be easy to get rid of without an exterminator but try the peppermint or eucalyptus oil in the meantime. They like old book bindings and wallpaper, btw.