Shutter Island

i'm still kind of wondering about the very, very end with what he said to mark ruffalo's character. i guess it could go either way.

{Possible Spoiler}

Ah, the way we interpreted it is that he knew he was not going get any better, so why put himself through that another round? He just acted as if he was regressing in order to be put out of his misery :sad: poor guy.

I want to see this too, I told the boyfriend that if we're free this weekend we should go.
The only thing that makes me nervous is that I hate films that make you suddenly jump (at least in a dark theater...at home, I don't care). You guys said it wasn't that scary, but is it really "jumpy"? (can't think of a better word, sorry)

Definitely not a scary movie, it has suspenseful moments and creepy vibes throughout, but if you are jumpy I would hold on to BF when Leo enters the ward where all the most dangerous people are :yes: that was the only part that startled me.

It's definitely not scary, at all. I think a lot of people were expecting it to be more of a scary movie based on the trailer, but it's not what you think it is. I don't want to say anymore, because I don't want to give anything away. I did like it though, and I'm glad I read the book first.

And Leo was amazing as always. :girlsigh:

Agree, not what i was expecting (usual scary movie), but it turned out pretty good.

I want to see this too, I told the boyfriend that if we're free this weekend we should go.
The only thing that makes me nervous is that I hate films that make you suddenly jump (at least in a dark theater...at home, I don't care). You guys said it wasn't that scary, but is it really "jumpy"? (can't think of a better word, sorry)

I jumped ONE time and that was only cuz it was mildly "jumpy" and I had so been looking forward to grabbing my hubby's arm and hiding my eyes. But it isn't a jumpy scary movie at all. I know just what you mean!

I liked it, it was creepy and mysterious, not scary.
It got me thinking and I'm still confused about it. haha anyone want to clear the end up for me?

**possible spoiler**

So was he playing along with them or was his condition real? At the end he says would u rather live with the monsters or die a good man? What was he trying to say? was that doctor in the cave real? Thanks

Last edited:
I liked it, it was creepy and mysterious, not scary.
It got me thinking and I'm still confused about it. haha anyone want to clear the end up for me?

**possible spoiler**

So was he playing along with them or was his condition real? At the end he says would u rather live with the monsters or die a good man? What was he trying to say? Thanks

This is our take on it:
When they were sitting at the steps, the doctors were hoping he would stay lucid, he knew that if he didn't they would have to perform a lobotomy on him :sad: so he decided to act as if he was regressing in order to be put out of his misery...

I really enjoyed this movie definitely messes with your mind but very good, and i have to agree with you guys on the end thats what i kind of got from it as well.

This is our take on it:
When they were sitting at the steps, the doctors were hoping he would stay lucid, he knew that if he didn't they would have to perform a lobotomy on him :sad: so he decided to act as if he was regressing in order to be put out of his misery...

that's how my friend and i interpreted it, as well.

but i guess the biggest question we had with that was he really crazy? did he actually see that female doctor in the cave and was it true everything she told him? there are so many possibilities to this, it's endless.

^^ ITA, there are so many ways the end can be interpreted. i thought back at all the "dream" scenes were with fire.... so him talking to the "doctor" in the cave was a dream as well. i enjoyed the movie, it kept me guessing and still is.

^^ ITA, there are so many ways the end can be interpreted. i thought back at all the "dream" scenes were with fire.... so him talking to the "doctor" in the cave was a dream as well. i enjoyed the movie, it kept me guessing and still is.

oh, see now that's a possibility i never even thought of. good thought about the fire in all of his dreams/flashbacks.

that's why i really would love to discuss this openly without spoiling it for anybody. my theory is, if you haven't seen the movie, don't read this thread. no? :shrugs:

but, all of that being said, i found it interesting that the doctor in the cave was the ONE "hallucination" they didn't address. other than simply "she doesn't exist." too simple, imo, so my friend and i were stumped by that one.

I haven't seen the movie yet but loved the book. This is the same author that brought us "Mystic River". This story is supposed to be Thriller/Suspense, not horror. So feeling "creeped out" is a great description.