Shredding the TP/Paper Towel help

Aug 14, 2009
I've done a search and didn't find anything so I figured I'd start a thread for some advice. My cat has been attacking, shredding, chewing and playing with all of the tp/paper towel in our house for quite some time now. I've tried shaking a can of coins (he's not afraid of noises), spraying him with water (he actually likes water) and many other things but nothing has worked. At this point we are keeping all bathroom doors closed and the paper towel in a cabinet but it's a hassle because if anyone (including guests) slips up we end up with the attached images. He also finds ways to get into the hall closet to play with the packages of tp too.

So any tips? I figured some of you may have clever tricks.

Attachments

• Buster.jpg
    Buster.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Buster2.jpg
    Buster2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 290
Oh yes, cats and toilet paper. They love tp almost as much as they love boxes.

Sorry, I have no advice as my cats don't give tp any attention.

Does he only shred the loose rolls, or does he steal them off the holders?

OMG I love that! He goes after it all, it doesn't matter if it's loose, packaged, free standing on the counter or on a roll. In fact SO accidentally left the bathroom door open when he left and i just went in to a shredded roll. I swear, we should be buying stock in Charmin with how much TP we buy. Since it seems there aren't many tips out there, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with the shredded tp? I've been tossing it but I just can't justify wasting so much tp! (or is that weird to try to repurpose it, lol)

I've done a search and didn't find anything so I figured I'd start a thread for some advice. My cat has been attacking, shredding, chewing and playing with all of the tp/paper towel in our house for quite some time now. I've tried shaking a can of coins (he's not afraid of noises), spraying him with water (he actually likes water) and many other things but nothing has worked. At this point we are keeping all bathroom doors closed and the paper towel in a cabinet but it's a hassle because if anyone (including guests) slips up we end up with the attached images. He also finds ways to get into the hall closet to play with the packages of tp too.

So any tips? I figured some of you may have clever tricks.

Ah, yes, those are familiar scenes. :smile: Mine outgrew the habit. After a couple years. :P Until then I just kept the bathroom door closed. Diversionary toys sometimes worked, like a rolled up newspaper or the cardboard inside a paper towel roll. By the time he got to be about 2 years old he only cared for an occasional playful splurge with a T-paper roll.

cats are so weird

It almost goes without saying! :biggrin: The problem is those clever little paws. The little paws need something to keep them busy.

I once had a cat who loved to sit on the toilet and with a single outstretched paw slowly unwind the entire toilet paper roll, watching it all fall into a big puddle on the floor.

OP, have you considered getting some sort of toilet paper cover or wall-mounted dispenser? Like commercial dispensers, the kind in office buildings. The roll itself is hidden in the dispenser and the only thing peeking out is a single sheet. It took my cat at least a year to outgrow the serious t-paper-shredding phase, and after that he still occasionally indulged.

It almost goes without saying! :biggrin: The problem is those clever little paws. The little paws need something to keep them busy.

I once had a cat who loved to sit on the toilet and with a single outstretched paw slowly unwind the entire toilet paper roll, watching it all fall into a big puddle on the floor.

OP, have you considered getting some sort of toilet paper cover or wall-mounted dispenser? Like commercial dispensers, the kind in office buildings. The roll itself is hidden in the dispenser and the only thing peeking out is a single sheet. It took my cat at least a year to outgrow the serious t-paper-shredding phase, and after that he still occasionally indulged.

I NEVER thought of that! Thanks so much! It wouldn't be that big of a deal except we always have people visiting so the bathroom doors are always left open. Most of our guests find it funny but I swear I'm at Costco weekly buying more tp. I was about to resort to signs on the door to remind guests. He's not quite 2 but I'm guessing this will be something we deal with for a long time--he's more dog like than cat and is incredibly active. I've bought just about every toy made and still the tp is his fav (of course). I love the tp cover idea and am off to google it! Thanks so much!

I hate to be a kill joy, but you don't really think you are going to outsmart a determined cat with a device made by mere mortals...............do you?

I can just see the inquisitive paw reaching up into the maw of the metal monster and hitting pay dirt.

♫ ♪ ♫ Roll roll roll the roll gently on the floor ♪ ♫ ♪

Best of luck! :biggrin:

I hate to be a kill joy, but you don't really think you are going to outsmart a determined cat with a device made by mere mortals...............do you?

I can just see the inquisitive paw reaching up into the maw of the metal monster and hitting pay dirt.

♫ ♪ ♫ Roll roll roll the roll gently on the floor ♪ ♫ ♪

Best of luck! :biggrin:

Haha! I sure will try! Apparently this is VERY common. Just a quick search on amazon revealed a few covers and just about every review mentioned a goal of deterring their cat :lol: Anyway I ordered one so we will see if it works. Fingers crossed and I will be sure to update if it does. But knowing my little schemer I will probably be back here asking about how to keep your cat from unscrewing things :roflmfao:

Haha! I sure will try! Apparently this is VERY common. Just a quick search on amazon revealed a few covers and just about every review mentioned a goal of deterring their cat :lol: Anyway I ordered one so we will see if it works. Fingers crossed and I will be sure to update if it does. But knowing my little schemer I will probably be back here asking about how to keep your cat from unscrewing things :roflmfao:

:popcorn:

I too am looking forward to the update. :biggrin: My cat pretty much outgrew the most intense phase of his paper-shredding by the time he was two, although he started shredding stuff when he was just a few months old. One time he got into a closet with a weak latch on the door and got hold of a jumbo box of sanitary napkins. Oh...my...god. When I got home it looked like the whole apartment had been snowed on, everything was covered with white cotton. Made the TP shredding seem like a minor annoyance in comparison. :P

i found a TP holder at walmart for super cheap. it's silver metal, sits on the floor and holds 3 rolls. it's completely enclosed so the cats can't get at it any way. it also comes with a lid but i dont' use it. that's how i store my toliet paper!

although my problem child was dotcom and he never grew out of it! i could stick a roll in front of his face and he would try to take a chunk out of it. my bathroom doesnt' even have a regular tp holder since i installed a new vanity after i moved in and there was no need for it since the tp was not safe! so even though dotcom is now gone, i still use it. using a regular tp holder would seem weird to me lol

that's my suggestion. the other rolls are either kept on a very high shelf or in a cabinet.