Show me your Plumes - An Ode!

I went to see what was advertised (no pic - just a newsletter alert)) as a noir alligator 'Plume' at a dress-agency (consignment) last week, sadly it turned out to be non-H/non-plume. SA didn't even have to get it out of the glass cabinet. I bought a HG recent H scarf from the same place about a year ago. Sad but hey ho...

...buyers beware.
Sad indeed. I think the plume is one of the best H styles for exotic leathers; no hardware to distract from the skins. Bolide as well.

Sad indeed. I think the plume is one of the best H styles for exotic leathers; no hardware to distract from the skins. Bolide as well.
I think Plume is also the best for using mixed materials, because of its expansive front and back panels that seemed to then be framed by the leather side panels. We've seen canvas, silk, feathers, delicate fabric with metallic embroidery, beads, sequins, and all other whimsical creations that oftentimes can only be seen at the windows of FSH :love:

I went to see what was advertised (no pic - just a newsletter alert)) as a noir alligator 'Plume' at a dress-agency (consignment) last week, sadly it turned out to be non-H/non-plume. SA didn't even have to get it out of the glass cabinet. I bought a HG recent H scarf from the same place about a year ago. Sad but hey ho...

...buyers beware.
Oh, that's too bad! I would have been very disappointed if I had been in your shoes.

I think Plume is also the best for using mixed materials, because of its expansive front and back panels that seemed to then be framed by the leather side panels. We've seen canvas, silk, feathers, delicate fabric with metallic embroidery, beads, sequins, and all other whimsical creations that oftentimes can only be seen at the windows of FSH :love:
Those panels are sort of like a blank canvas; it's surprising that H doesn't do more with that for push offers. I suppose the rainbow effect was especially suited to the shape of the bolide, but you're right, there's lots of fun stuff to do even without resorting to Horizon-like ideas. I'm always surprised there aren't more toile offerings but I guess I'm among the few who really like them.

Reactions: allanrvj
Oh, that's too bad! I would have been very disappointed if I had been in your shoes.

I could've bought an alligator Plume 32 in 'brown' (not sure which one) or Sanguine about 10 years ago, but didn't. I bought Swift Bambou instead. I'm not sorry I bought the Swift, but I am sorry I couldn't buy the alligator too.

The black alligator bag wasn't cheap even if it had been the real thing (a Plume) ... anyway, worth investigating. Can't win them all.

I don't know if you're like me but after a few false starts I forget to keep looking.

Those panels are sort of like a blank canvas; it's surprising that H doesn't do more with that for push offers. I suppose the rainbow effect was especially suited to the shape of the bolide, but you're right, there's lots of fun stuff to do even without resorting to Horizon-like ideas. I'm always surprised there aren't more toile offerings but I guess I'm among the few who really like them.

Plumes are excellent showcase 'canvases'. This one somehow made it's way to market. An outstanding piece

Photo Sotheby's

1706824937869.png

Measurements taken from the listing, so that embroidery, inspired by butterfly wings, must be very dainty:
Dimensions
Height: 13 cm
Width:21 cm
Depth: 4 cm

Plumes are excellent showcase 'canvases'. This one somehow made it's way to market. An outstanding piece

Photo Sotheby's

View attachment 5941193

Measurements taken from the listing, so that embroidery, inspired by butterfly wings, must be very dainty:
Dimensions
Look like one of those unique items Horizon makes as a special one off for store openings. There's a lot going on there with the exotics. ;)

Photo Sotheby's

View attachment 5941193

Dimensions

Look like one of those unique items Horizon makes as a special one off for store openings. There's a lot going on there with the exotics. ;)
Yes of course @periogirl28 is guessing correctly! It is one of the three unique bags they had for the Changsha, China store opening in 2018. Screenshot of a Chinese article discussing it (apologies too lazy to try translating the full paragraph properly! But as you can guess vaguely from the English - it’s using Swift leather and Japanese miyuki beads, together with silk threads, and Indian embroidery techniques to achieve the look which as mentioned above was that of a butterfly wing. And of course they used exotics to make up the rest of the bag)

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1599586507556240512&wfr=spider&for=pc&searchword=爱马仕长沙国金中心专卖店 全新揭幕

IMG_7529.jpeg

ETA: obviously this part is OT but just in case anyone is curious what the other two bags were for the opening and don’t know how to navigate the Chinese article link, hopefully it’s ok for me to add the photos here to save them some trouble :smile:

IMG_7530.jpeg
IMG_7531.jpeg

Last edited:

Especially in such a little bag. I wondered why they chose lizard and alligator :whut: I suppose sometimes things look more harmonious IRL.

It must have cost an absolute small fortune new, and then to think they got rid :cray:

• Insightful
Reactions: periogirl28
Yes of course @periogirl28 is guessing correctly! It is one of the three unique bags they had for the Changsha, China store opening in 2018. Screenshot of a Chinese article discussing it (apologies too lazy to try translating the full paragraph properly! But as you can guess vaguely from the English - it’s using Swift leather and Japanese miyuki beads, together with silk threads, and Indian embroidery techniques to achieve the look which as mentioned above was that of a butterfly wing. And of course they used exotics to make up the rest of the bag)

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1599586507556240512&wfr=spider&for=pc&searchword=爱马仕长沙国金中心专卖店 全新揭幕

View attachment 5941336

ETA: obviously this part is OT but just in case anyone is curious what the other two bags were for the opening and don’t know how to navigate the Chinese article link, hopefully it’s ok for me to add the photos here to save them some trouble :smile:

View attachment 5941350
View attachment 5941351

I have similar embroidery on a jacket, so maybe it's Phulkari Bagh work. That would all be by hand, every stitch.

Literally out of this world

Reactions: momoc
Here's more familiar but still 'out there' Plumes from around 10 years ago. I could have bought the first but it's too casual for versatility sake (for me)

PC Sotheby's "Multicolor Barenia and Bride De Gala En Desordre Patchwork Embroidered Toile Plume 32 Gold Hardware, 2014"

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 09.23.29.png

and Sotheby's

Barenia and Rocobar Print Toile Plume 32 Palladium Hardware, 2013

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 09.26.36.png