Show Me Your Low Colored Diamonds!

Here's my J (I'm not great at photographing it). Love it so much that I would go for an even lower color in a heartbeat. All of your diamonds are incredible, Erica. Will you be my warm diamond buying mentor?

Attachments

• J oval.jpg
    J oval.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4,217
Fabcloset, it really depends on the stone, but generally speaking, old cuts are a little less expensive than new cuts (this has always boggled my mind - they are so much more rare!). The recent trend towards antique diamonds has brought prices up from where they were 5 years ago, but most old cuts remaining in circulation will be in the lower colors (high colors carry a steep premium due to rarity, since many high colored antique diamonds were re-cut as cutting technology changed).

There is a dealer in NY who is now cutting new "old cuts" optimized to perfect proportions and light performance, blah, blah, blah - I personally can't stand them, lol, (why buy a copy when you can have an original? They all look identical and have no personality, but many people love them.) He is even specifically cutting them in low colors because these cuts are just particularly beautiful in the lower color range. My point is that the old cutting style is again considered beautiful and desireable, so prices are on the rise.

An Old European, for example, with excellent make (symmetry, polish, light play, contrast zones, general visual beauty), will be priced comparable to its modern counterpart. With old cut pricing, make is everything!

The main difference between the old and new cutting styles is that old cuts have generally chunkier/blockier faceting, more fire due to the delicious depth of the stones (I find it very visually rewarding to look at my diamond from the side and see that tall crown, small table - it's such a treat for the wearer - like wearing a ring pop!) They were cut for low light conditions, so seeing an old cut in candlelight, on an elevator, under a tree on a sunny day - will knock your socks off!

Last edited:
Here's my J (I'm not great at photographing it). Love it so much that I would go for an even lower color in a heartbeat. All of your diamonds are incredible, Erica. Will you be my warm diamond buying mentor?

Beautiful ring! Yes, I would be happy to help in any way I can! Feel free to pm me - I'm all about spreading the antique cut and low colored love!

AAAAAH I have been on your website countless times, I LOVE your rings! Especially the antique ascher it is breathtaking. My engagement ring is an old mine cut, although it looks like a cushion. It's so old, and so sparkly.

Specs:
  • weight, 2 carats
  • colour, j
  • band size, 4.25
I don't remember what all the other specs were, I just knew when I saw it that it was my (our) ring. Love.

Attachments

• IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,975
Yummy rings Erica! I love the cushion carlson...

Erica, I can't believe it's still TWO MORE WEEKS for your LM. I've been thinking about it for weeks so I can only imagine how anxious you are!

These are gorgeous! I have my grandmother's Old Mine cut - I wore it when I was married before - I'm remarried now, and my rings are very white. I'll have to take a picture and post it. I had it reset in yellow gold with sapphires on the side so it wouldn't look too yellow - but now I'm thinking it's not a bad thing!

Maybe I'll reset it...perhaps I can get some ideas from this thread. I can't remember the exact color, but it's about 1.75 ct. and beautifully cut!