Should I Send This?

I have been charged for tax after an auction ended before too but, I didn't complain about it since I got a good deal, and was satisfied with my item. There wasn't anything I could do after I paid for it. :shrugs:

I think the issue here is that charging tax after a transaction violates eBay's policies. I don't think it's a helpful comment to say that it happened to you but you didn't complain - McLoverly is complaining and she has the right to do so.

What did you file a dispute for? The bag doesn't look damaged at all. That is the way the natural leather is on those bags. Isn't that bag brand new? Where did you see the "other" bag that sold for less?

I filed the dispute (as eBay suggested) for the undisclosed sales tax. I've been trying to contact the seller for 13 days about this tax and he replied to me only once to say that he would "look into it." He never got back to me or responded to my other messages so I finally filed a dispute. As eBay pointed out, if he really is paying taxes he's not protecting himself in an audit if he didn't list the tax - he's probably pocketing the tax and making his auction appear artifically cheaper.

I wasn't sure if I was being too picky about the leather. When it arrived it was folded and the side that was folded into itself is crinkled and the other side is smooth. I asked the seller to please stuff the bag with tissue so that it wouldn't be damaged, but he didn't. I don't think I captured it well enough in photos, but the smooth side is also more structured and the crinkled side just kind of folds onto itself. The bag ends up looking kind of lopsided - I'm pretty sure both sides are supposed to look the same. Also, the seller told me he would include all original sales tags, but as you can see there is only a blank Valentino tag. No saks tag or anything else. Someone else suggested it was probably a defective bag sold at an outlet.

I'm most frustrated by the seller's lack of communication. I've been an eBay member for years and have had very few problems. I've only returned one item and that was because it was a medium when the auction was for a small. I really don't like to cause problems or open disputes - had the seller just given me back the sales tax or at least been responsive I would have dropped this whole thing.

I would return the bag, get your $ back and honestly wait for a better situation to arise, this one doesn't sound like it will sit well with you no matter how much you can deal w/ the bag defects.

I would return the bag, get your $ back and honestly wait for a better situation to arise, this one doesn't sound like it will sit well with you no matter how much you can deal w/ the bag defects.

I think that might be the best option... now if only the seller would respond to me. I was so excited when I bought the bag :sad:

I think that might be the best option... now if only the seller would respond to me. I was so excited when I bought the bag :sad:
Just prepare the package, with the intended delivery address and confirmation of delivery (be it the tracking or sign. conf. to make sure they can't say they didn't get it!) and set it aside while filing a report with PP if that's how you paid.

Just be business like about it, it's not worth the hassle to hold on to it, and you want what you thought you were getting, just might have to wait a bit more to find the right one.

I filed the dispute (as eBay suggested) for the undisclosed sales tax. I've been trying to contact the seller for 13 days about this tax and he replied to me only once to say that he would "look into it." He never got back to me or responded to my other messages so I finally filed a dispute. As eBay pointed out, if he really is paying taxes he's not protecting himself in an audit if he didn't list the tax - he's probably pocketing the tax and making his auction appear artifically cheaper.

I wasn't sure if I was being too picky about the leather. When it arrived it was folded and the side that was folded into itself is crinkled and the other side is smooth. I asked the seller to please stuff the bag with tissue so that it wouldn't be damaged, but he didn't. I don't think I captured it well enough in photos, but the smooth side is also more structured and the crinkled side just kind of folds onto itself. The bag ends up looking kind of lopsided - I'm pretty sure both sides are supposed to look the same. Also, the seller told me he would include all original sales tags, but as you can see there is only a blank Valentino tag. No saks tag or anything else. Someone else suggested it was probably a defective bag sold at an outlet.

I'm most frustrated by the seller's lack of communication. I've been an eBay member for years and have had very few problems. I've only returned one item and that was because it was a medium when the auction was for a small. I really don't like to cause problems or open disputes - had the seller just given me back the sales tax or at least been responsive I would have dropped this whole thing.

Oh, so the seller didn't respond to you? And, the sales tag may have just been the tag you received. I have a Valentino, and I also have a blank red tag. There is nothing inside of the red tag. Some outlets may not include other tags to prevent store returns. But, I suppose if you aren't satisfied with the item, you should return it. It looks perfect to me. I've also looked on eBay for completed listings, and saw another bag like yours, and it has folds on the bag also, and it doesn't look too different from yours. I've noticed that the photos you took is a photo of the bag farther away, than the other (by the lighting of flash), the close-up of the leather is supposed to be that way. It's not perfect, and smooth on the whole bag because of that type of leather. I also know that with use of the bag will probably change the way the leather looks as opposed to when it's brand new. If all you want back is the undisclosed tax amount, there shouldn't be any problem with you getting that back since you've stated that you filed a dispute for that.

Good luck:tup:

I think the issue here is that charging tax after a transaction violates eBay's policies. I don't think it's a helpful comment to say that it happened to you but you didn't complain - McLoverly is complaining and she has the right to do so.

Ok, if I had known that was a violation, I would have complained, and reported it. But, I didn't know that. I suppose there shouldn't be an option to add tax to the invoice after the auction or sale then. :sad:

Ok, if I had known that was a violation, I would have complained, and reported it. But, I didn't know that. I suppose there shouldn't be an option to add tax to the invoice after the auction or sale then. :sad:

It just didn't seem right to me so I investigated. A bid is supposed to be a binding contract - one party shouldn't be able to alter the contract after it's signed. I feel it's dishonest to throw in a charge after the auction.

Oh, so the seller didn't respond to you? And, the sales tag may have just been the tag you received. I have a Valentino, and I also have a blank red tag. There is nothing inside of the red tag. Some outlets may not include other tags to prevent store returns. But, I suppose if you aren't satisfied with the item, you should return it. It looks perfect to me. I've also looked on eBay for completed listings, and saw another bag like yours, and it has folds on the bag also, and it doesn't look too different from yours. I've noticed that the photos you took is a photo of the bag farther away, than the other (by the lighting of flash), the close-up of the leather is supposed to be that way. It's not perfect, and smooth on the whole bag because of that type of leather. I also know that with use of the bag will probably change the way the leather looks as opposed to when it's brand new. If all you want back is the undisclosed tax amount, there shouldn't be any problem with you getting that back since you've stated that you filed a dispute for that.

Good luck:tup:

Hopefully there will be some resolve. I really try to be an easy buyer and a good seller. I can't imagine adding in a charge after making a sale, then folding an expensive leather bag and shoving it in a box, and then not responding to messages from my buyer. I hope I'm not blowing this out of proportion. I'll happily either return the bag or take a refund of the undisclosed tax.

UPDATE: I've had contact with another of this seller's buyers. She bought a bag from him 2 weeks ago and hasn't received it nor has he replied to her messages. She's filed a PayPal claim. Now I'm worried that perhaps my bag isn't authentic. I had it authenticated before I bought it, but I only got one opinion. I'd love a second opinion before I escalate my dispute to a claim.
http://forum.purseblog.com/authenticate-this/authenticate-this-valentino-345964.html

Thanks ladies!

Just wanted to add: I looked at the transaction and the tax was $41.25 not $60 (not that it matters, but just to be accurate)

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to be the ebay seller that the OP purchased this bag from, would you??

OH DEAR COAH... I THINK YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT! Bag-Lover just joined in August (when I purchased) and was the,

"That is 100% authentic!! :tup::woohoo:

Go for it :yahoo: "

response I got when I posted pictures of the bag for authentication before purchasing it. In fact, that was her first post ever! Almost all of her posts have been responses about this bag. Now I don't even know if the bag is real! I really need a second opinion :sos:

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to be the ebay seller that the OP purchased this bag from, would you??

I have suspected this since the beginning of this thread... I checked out her other posts when I first read this thread and saw that she was the one who authenticated McLoverly's bag, but did not want to say anything as I figured other girls would have chimed in if the bag was fake and someone was saying it was real. Her comments on this thread certainly seem to indicate that she is the seller of the bag, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt... especially since she didn't seem to know what kind of dispute you had filed. Will be interesting to see if she responds.

McLoverly, I think it's time to pursue that dispute for the damage to your bag and the tax violation and just wash your hands of this whole issue!