Should I return this bag due to creasing?

What would you do?

• Keep it

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Send it back

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

cpsocal

Apr 24, 2018
Hey all,
I've been wanting a Bottega bag for a long time, and recently pulled the trigger on one from RealReal for an Intrecciato Medium Roma Bag. It was listed as having 'minor creasing', but when I opened the bag today it pretty much flops over with major creasing in the front. Is this to be expected with time with these bags? I know it's woven leather so maybe this is just part of it, but it definitely doesn't look like the picture online. It was a great price ($850).

Thanks for your help!

BOT76962_1_enlarged.jpg IMG_1272.jpeg IMG_1270.jpegIMG_1271.jpeg

Hey all,
I've been wanting a Bottega bag for a long time, and recently pulled the trigger on one from RealReal for an Intrecciato Medium Roma Bag. It was listed as having 'minor creasing', but when I opened the bag today it pretty much flops over with major creasing in the front. Is this to be expected with time with these bags? I know it's woven leather so maybe this is just part of it, but it definitely doesn't look like the picture online. It was a great price ($850).

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 4588427 View attachment 4588430 View attachment 4588431View attachment 4588432

The beauty of BV leather is that it gets so deliously soft and smushy
I don’t see any wrinkling but if you don’t like it return it

Reactions: jbags07 and V0N1B2
Awesome, thank you both! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm definitely used to more structured bags so glad to hear this is both normal / desired.
Well, it's normal but as to whether it's desired, I think that's an individual thing. I have a BV bag, the double chain tote, that I really liked when it was brand new as it maintained its structure. Now that it is softer, the multiple pockets it has seem a little irrelevant, as the whole thing is turning into a puddle of leather. Yes, that is what's going to happen with this soft leather over time, but it takes me some getting used to.

Hope you enjoy your bag! It's a pretty color.

Reactions: Bagcoolie
I prefer my BV bags to be soft. I used to sit and watch a movie while kneading a new bag like I was working bread dough. (Ok....I admit it’s a bit eccentric.) The leather is so luxurious and I think the softness provides a richness that more structured bags don’t tend to embrace. I’d keep it.

Reactions: Bagcoolie
Hey all,

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 4588427 View attachment 4588430 View attachment 4588431View attachment 4588432

Awesome, thank you both! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm definitely used to more structured bags so glad to hear this is both normal / desired.
One of the drawbacks (unfortunately) with purchasing on the pre-loved market, is that you never really know how the bag was stored, how often it was worn etc. We often weigh that risk against the really great price. If the creasing is too much for you, send it back - if you can live with it, then keep it and enjoy.
I would assume from looking at this Roma that it's Aubergine from Fall 2014 and is Calfskin, as I believe they moved to calfskin Romas after the demise of Nappa Umbria. So, that puts the bag at about 5 years old, and because it's calfskin, it should retain it's shape a bit better, but as I wrote above, I think it was improperly stored. My Roma is Nappa Umbria and it has a slight flop to it when empty but I store it with air-filled pillows inside. Speaking of empty... the photos you posted (to me) look like those of an empty bag. Have you filled it with your things and if so, has the flop gone away?
If you keep the bag (and it's lovely), put your stuff in it, carry it proudly knowing what a gorgeous piece of classic BV you own, and stuff it when you store it. That should hopefully stop it from further creases.
And please.... humour me here: take those handles down a notch. :lol: I know I'm a fussy bish but the Roma is a "satchel", designed as hand-carry bag (hence no shoulder strap on the original), and IMO looks best when the handles aren't extended the full length. Don't listen to me though, you carry it however you feel comfortable. (No really, shorter handles look better) :lol:

For me the Roma is a handheld bag and it should be structured.
I love all my BV shoulder bags and BV crossbody bags when they has softened and when they are slouchy.
But the Roma (I have the small Roma) must be structured and "stiff" for me.
But this is only my personal opinion. The color of your Roma is really nice, and I think it's your personal feeling if you like the bag soft like this.
I hope you understand my very bad English. Enyoy your Roma if you will keep it!

It’s a beautiful bag, but if it were delivered to myself I would probably return it. I also think it does not look like it was stuffed and stored upright. With TM out of BV anything I buy from his era I try to get in pristine condition, I want the bags to last for the next 10-20 years.

Well, it's normal but as to whether it's desired, I think that's an individual thing. I have a BV bag, the double chain tote, that I really liked when it was brand new as it maintained its structure. Now that it is softer, the multiple pockets it has seem a little irrelevant, as the whole thing is turning into a puddle of leather. Yes, that is what's going to happen with this soft leather over time, but it takes me some getting used to.

Hope you enjoy your bag! It's a pretty color.

You could get a bag organizer insert and that would add a little structure

If the floppiness bothers you, I say return it.

My first BV was a roma over 10 years ago. I chose it at that time because it was one of the more structured designs. It has since become a puddle of smooshy goodness. It did take some getting used to at first but I still love it and use it even today.

You got a lovely piece at an amazing price but if you are not going to use it much then it will be a waste of $850. Just my humble opinion.