Should I return my Red Patent Cruise?

Jul 25, 2009
So finally got my red patent cruise jumbo this week after lusting after it for weeks. The color is gorgeous like everyone had mentioned....a bright beautiful fire engine hot red, the size is perfect, the smell is lovely..haha...just kidding. It's a beautiful bag but now I'm having second thougths and these are the reasons why......

1. There are tiny spots on my bag....looks like dust trapped underneath the patent ...it's a black dot and no it doesn't like like a pen mark....no dents or holes just a black dot on the flap and on the right side of the bag.

Another spot is underneath the bag....it looks like a bubble. At first i thought it was the defect that someone mentioned on here but i looked closer and it doesn't look like a crack just a bump/bubble...looks like glue that stiffened up. This spot is tiny also.

I got this shipped to me so wasn't able to inspect it but when i opened the box i didnt noticed it at first cause the spots were tiny and the bag just stunned me...:biggrin: but now i have more time to check it i see it and now it bothers me. Are these defects or normal?

2. The second reason...is the strap suppose to be that stiff? I was surprise to see that the straps were also patent leather. My SA wrapped them up nicely inside the bag. When I took it out i was surprise to see how stiff they were...had a hard time adjusting them.....Will they soften up after use?

3. You guys weren't kidding about the fingermarks.....hahaha. Everytime you touch the bag, it leaves a mark....but the good thing is it does wipe off so not too worry about it but still ...you touch it and its there.

Let me know what you guys think. I would hate to return it cause it is a beauty but am really afraid the "imperfections" would bug the heck out of me through times.

you seem to be quite doubtful so soon after receiving your new patent jumbo! i'd say 3 reasons to get rid of it is too many.. return it! its a beautiful bag (although i'm not too fond of patent), but if you are not 100% happy with it, find something else.
the marks would aggravate me every time i look at them. bubbles? dust under the finish? totally not OK, especially at that price. these are definitely not "normal"
i own no patents, as they are too plasticy/fake looking to me, but i'd say that the chain will most likely ease up. :smile: and as for the fingerprints, thats not so bad, is it? :smile:

follow your heart! chances are if you had to ask tpfers their opinions on whether to get rid of the bag, instead of having a shiny new reveal thread, you will never be happy with it and might as well return it.

OP, if i were u... the spots will definitely bother me ALOT... i'm a very fussy person.. haha!

the stiff strap wont bother me that much cos i think it MIGHT soften after more usage?

if u really love red... maybe get a red caviar or lambskin ?

i would return it. i cannot bear to have any amount of dissatisfaction no matter how small with my bags. since i'm paying (so much!!) for it, i should really love every inch of it!

A fren of mind owned a patent from 2008 and she noticed black spots which grew in intensity and numbers over time. She was told it was a mould/fungus. Do a search and you may find some info. If not, Pm if you wish to aske the Pfer herself...

Return it.

no way! re mold/fungus! my new one has a few of those black dots too! i don't think that's what it is. or is it??!!?? it really looks like the varnish/color job. i was actually wondering re the black and navy patents from this season and if there are any small spots etc or is it just the red?

min red patent also has a patch of microscratches that bothered me for a time (i mean it's a $3000 bag) but i realized they got there somewhere in packing and you can only see really really close up along with the slightest patch of discoloration (unfortunately it's on flap too) and compared to the other one i saw at store (which looked like it actually had color transfer from the black bag it came in! i know mine came new wrapped in white tissue paper and that's where it's going to stay) this one was relatively perfect so it will probably bother me alittle bit forever. i just really like the bag and figured once it got good use it wouldn't look pristine any more anyway... but if it's really bothering you then definitely RETURN IT!!!! because i know what you mean... i made (relative) peace with my little issues but if it really bothers you then no sense in keeping the bag! good luck!

It is actually common for patent/vernis leather to have slight inclusions inside, most often being a tiny black spot here and there.. I love patent and have found them in most patent bags and accessories I've owned, mostly Vuitton and Chanel. Was told it is to do with how patent was processed, that slight inclusions are often unavoidable. So I wouldn't even worry about mould or fungus yet! (gosh that is scary, stefeilnately could your friend do anything with the bag?).

I own the navy patent reissue from 07 and so far, I don't see any black spots. For hers, it was the 08 bordeaux crackled patent. At first, it was a few black spots which you can see beneath the coating. After sometime, the black dots increased in number...

The black spots I am talking about here are not slight inclusions which I believe is perfectly normal and should not be deemed as defect. They are really tiny dots and I guess if you see them increase in numbers after sometime, they are indeed something viable.

Hope i am not creating a panic attack here... I am just sharing what I heard from her.

wow! mold?!?!

Thanks LOVENSPARKLE...makes me feel slightly better to know it's common. I feel the same as PLS5, I think I can live with it if I know it is common with patent. When my SA told me she had the bag, she told me it was the last one in the store from the shipment that came in that day, she said it was brand new and they didn't even take it out of the wrapping yet. And when I got the bag, it did looked new cause all the wrappings were still tight and looks like no one has touched it cause when I opened it it was still stiff from non-use. Like I said before I didnt even notice these marks until I examine it really closely. They are tiny but one is on the flap and the other on the side of the bag.

Thanks for sharing your experience. If it is a mold problem.....I would be really upset.
My SA is trying to locate another one for me. If she can't find one, I will take a couple of more days to think about it. It's a lovely bag I would hate to not have it.