should i really be bothered by this?

BLAH, what you did was a good deed.
I donate every year and I also volunteer often.
Happy to see everything finds a new home and puts a smile on someone's face.

I do agree but not if she's doing it to get free designer goods that ppl donate!! I would try to find out if she herself is a victim first but from what op said it doesn't seem that way so if I saw her in my shoes this would annoy me to no end and I would have said something .

Maybe she doesn't get paid for her work and the organization allows her to take a few things for free as payment.

Still not acceptable to me, thats why it's called volunteering.

I know of a volunteer who took the 1st dibs of the donated items. She is my boss's boss wife, who also make the same amt as the husband. They are loaded, but she is just frugal.

OP, I would let it go. It went to a happy home.

If it bothers you, why donate it in the first place???

I'd keep all my stuff if it bothers me.

i donated brand new stuff and slightly used stuff so that women in abusive homes could have new clothes to use and to go to work in. Not so that some newly 21 something could get dibs on for no reason.

the girl has a lot of "vintage" items. the other day in class (we both are part of the same group for a project) she was saying she bought some vintage chanel flats. not mine but if she got them from the place she volunteers/works at, then she couldn't have "bought" them.

I wouldn't be bothered by it. As many others have said it could be in payment for working with that charity.

Frankly I would be kind of pleased that I did know the person who took them (even if only by association). Because then I also know that she is loving them and getting some good use out of them.

And who knows? That one pair of shoes might make the difference in her getting a better life for herself by giving her some much needed confidence.