Should I dye my patent Lady Dior

Cupofchai

Jul 14, 2020
Hi all, would love your opinion on whether I should dye my ten year old white (but now cream coloured) medium patent lady dior to black. I purchased second hand. I’m tossing up doing this at a bag spa or trying the dior spa service. It’s even coloured with perfect structure. Does anyone have experiences they can share? I don’t like it when the bag leather is dyed but the stitching stays white.
Ideally I’d love the hardware replaced with gold even though it’s in perfect condition as I think gold against black pops really well, but what do you think?

170B045A-EFA9-4E2E-9B87-F99E7E4D0038.jpeg

0F31B210-2587-4287-BF6C-404706E2A760.jpeg

Hi all, would love your opinion on whether I should dye my ten year old white (but now cream coloured) medium patent lady dior to black. I purchased second hand. I’m tossing up doing this at a bag spa or trying the dior spa service. It’s even coloured with perfect structure. Does anyone have experiences they can share? I don’t like it when the bag leather is dyed but the stitching stays white.
Ideally I’d love the hardware replaced with gold even though it’s in perfect condition as I think gold against black pops really well, but what do you think?

View attachment 5369131

View attachment 5369132
maybe it's painful to hear but it is not worth much money to resell I would dye it myself in black, save that money you are giving to spa, dye black is easier than dye it to any other colors.

Reactions: Cupofchai
maybe it's painful to hear but it is not worth much money to resell I would dye it myself in black, save that money you are giving to spa, dye black is easier than dye it to any other colors.
That’s a good point I didn’t really consider doing it myself as it sounds really tricky. I actually got it for an amazing price of AUD $600 so happy to put in a little bit extra to save the hassle and get it done professionally, but I’ll look into doing it myself.

Reactions: onlyk

View attachment 5369131

View attachment 5369132
Dior will definitely not redye this for you.

Patent leather cannot be re-dyed like normal leather, which is often just sprayed with the dye (like spray paint). A member here was able to use a stain to re-colour the patent leather black:

The way this works is that the plastic layer on top of the leather normally absorbs dyes, which is why lighter colours of patent leather can experience colour transfer from denim. So if a stain is used, it should absorb the stain. The stitching will absorb the stain as well.

The only thing you may experience after staining is that the colour may come off a bit on your hands and on your clothes over time. Not sure if this happened to @STEFFIHWEE's Lady Dior.

I love your vision of the black leather and hold hardware. I would definitely bring it to a professional though. Dyes can be funky and may turn out as a dark grey instead of a solid black if you don’t use the right consistency. Not sure how changing the metal would work without plating it in gold, otherwise the coloring could rub off easily. So perhaps find someone who can plate it in gold seamlessly. 14K should be strong enough to resist damage. It would be pricey, but certainly hold up.

I have no experience in dying patent leather BUT I want to share my experience for colour restoration.

I sent a 2003 bright cherry red lambskin LD to a well known professional leather handbag shop in the UK for a makeover service that included repainting/ restoring to its original colour. I will never ever do it again. If it's so bad, I would only do the parts required and not the whole bag.

I thought that they were a trusted company based on reviews and clips of their restoration videos. They claimed that they used some technolody to analyse the colour when doing colour matching. They admitted that they should have communicated that the colour won't be the same after I complained. They said that it would require painting the bag white first and to paint again only after my complaint. My bag ended up with a very dark and dull shade of red. It also has a shade of brown in it. Just horrible. Monsieur Dior would be very very unhappy seeing it. My heart sank when I opened the package. For me that bag is dead now and I ended up searching for the same one online again! The lesson I learnt from this is that I would not take my bags for colour restoration nor change.

Perhaps dying it black is not as tricky as restoring to its original colour but I would do more research on this and be prepared for the worst.

I wonder if you can ask them to do a small part at the bottom of it and send back to you to check and observe for a while.

Another way to do it is to be prepared for a damaged bag when it returns so if anything better comes out of it that's great. I probably should have done that. Oh well.

One last thing, if you are good with colours, really beware of any colour changing work. Some people might not tell the difference between shades and you never know if that's the person working on your bag.

Hope you have a much better experience. Good luck!

Last edited:
I had a pair of JC nude patent leather wedges which went that icky yellow/mustard-y colour after just a couple of years. I was told by several shoe restoration places here in Australia that they couldn't ever get them back to the original colour and any attempts to dye a darker colour could not be guaranteed to be satisfactory.
They sat in my wardrobe for another 5 years or so until one day I pulled them out and figured I had nothing to lose by going at them myself as they were only taking up storage space as they were.
I do a lot of crafting, so have a selection of alcohol inks in various colours. I used Jacquard Pinata brand alcohol ink which is available at any craft store.
I took a small paint brush and squirted some blue-violet alcohol ink into a cup and went for it. It dries almost instantly so I had to be really careful not to get it anywhere I didnt want recoloured. Next time I'll use some kind of masking tape, even though it's not too bad this time.
When they came out looking surprisingly good, I thought, "they will probably make my feet turn blue when I wear them, this is too good to be true". I was sure the ink would somehow transfer to my skin if my feet got the slightest bit sweaty, However I was very pleasantly surprised to find that not even the teeniest bit of transference happened!
I've since worn them 3 or 4 times for several hours at a time and still no issues with the colour transferring, bleeding or anything else it shouldn't do.
Very happy to be able to wear them again after so long having them stuffed in a cupboard. I'll never buy nude patent leather anything again, as it's quite apparent that the discolouration happens quite a lot with other brands too.
So, just thought I would share this, in case anyone else was at the "nothing to lose" point with their patent leather stuff!
1666677330383.jpeg

Reactions: DoggieBags
It's a valid point. I didn't really think about doing it myself because it seemed so difficult. Although I actually acquired it at an incredible bargain of AUD $600, I'm happy to spend a little extra to save the headache and have it done professionally. However, I'll consider doing it myself as well.