Dyeing Patent Lady Dior Bag

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Save 25% off all Jeans at Nordstrom. Sale ends Sunday at noon EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello loves, I just wanted to share my experience about dyeing patent, just in case any of y'all were thinking of doing the same.

about 2 months ago I bought this terrible discoloured lady Dior from a seller. It was supposed to be a pinkish-beige but somehow it became a mustard yellow colour. I used Dylon Shoe dye (black) with 3 coats and let it dry in the sun to remove the smell. I've been using this bag for about 4 weeks now and it's held up well!
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459686535.315641.jpg
    The colour it was supposed to be
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459686668.471128.jpg
    The colour it was (yuck!)
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459686775.017028.jpg
    1st coat
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459686789.819505.jpg
    2nd coat
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459686863.612246.jpg
    Done!
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459687009.198778.jpg
    In comparison to my lambskin (it's on the left)

Omaymatia likes this.
  2. Wow, you did a fantastic job. It looks amazing.

3. Thanku! There were many times throughout the whole thing where I wondered if I was making a terrible mistake

4. Wow! I couldn't have been able to tell that it was redyed! You did an amazing job!

5. It look amazing. U did a great job. Is the dye expensive? It will cost a lot if u send to bag spa to redye a bag.

6. Thanks

7. Nope! The dye was around USD 5. U can get it on eBay, it's called Dylon's leather dye (for shoes and bags)

8. That's crazy, it looks perfect! You are amazing, you've turned an icky bag into a total beauty! Maybe I start DIYing designer bags as a hobby lol it'll certainly allow me to buy more bags :angel:

9. That is remarkable. It looks terrific. I would have never thought......

10. Looks great! What a transformation!! You are brave!!

11. Your "new" bag looks absolutely perfect. The other color looks tired, but black patent on Lady Dior is so beautiful. This looks like a brand spanking new bag you just got from the boutique!

Burning question: does this dye work on leathers other than patent? I may seriously consider buying a patent Lady Dior in pink then re dye it to black a few years down the road.

12. Ahh I would be too but you have nothing to worry about. You did an amazing job

13. Yes it does. I think it was originally for other, more normal types of leather. I haven't tried though. Good luck if u do!

14. #14 Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Awww that's so sweet! Thanku to everyone for the sweet comments

15. Wow I didn't know you could even dye Patent Leather - looks fabulous - congrats